Re: craigslist tricksters

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by VYFan, Jun 2, 2011.

1. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

In looking for a bike on CL, I found one I like on ATx list, but it's from San Antonio, by a guy who'll be coming to Austin this weekend. Otherwise, the ad looks legitimate. Well, I thought I'd double check to see whether he had it listed in SA, and he didn't. Then, on the SATx CL, I saw a nice bike from a person in "North Austin" that I hadn't noticed before on the ATx CL. (I double-checked, and indeed, it was not for sale in Austin.) Again, otherwise the posting had several indications of legitimacy, such as "computer or seat bag (in the photos) not included," which a simple thief would not care about, and bike component details that indicate someone who cares about bike details.

Do you assume that these are scammers or thieves, or would there be a legitimate reason to tell the audience in the next town over that you are moving and really need to sell, while not trying to sell it in your home town? The only thing I could think of is that you had already tried and failed in your own town, but if that had been recent, my search for it would have shown up, even in the title of a deleted post.

So, is your best guess scammers, thieves, or not enough information to tell?

2. BevoNation

BevoNation 500+ Posts

It sounds like you just whipped yourself into a slight paranoia. But as long as you follow some general internet dealing guidelines you should be alright. I suggest meeting in a public place, bringing a friend, check out or try the product before buying and, most importantly, never ever send money in advance even if it's a partial "deposit" or "down payment" or anything like that.

3. 90 Grad

90 Grad 500+ Posts

Or it was stolen locally. You wouldn't want to advertise it then.

4. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Craigslist is scammers heaven.
    I listed three items on craigslist and scammers have contacted me on all three. They offer to buy sight unseen and an assosiate will come by the pick it up with a money order.
    If you are buying follow the advice of BevoNation.

5. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

6. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

7. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

Sounds like a stolen bike.

8. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

+1 on the stolen bike. I wonder if the SA/Aus is popular city swap for bike thieves...

9. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

It's a stolen bike,

Maybe you should post another thread in Austin asking if someone is missing the same bike

10. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Sorry about wrong thread; thought I was in Horn Depot.
    Anyway, thanks for the opinions.
    Probably stolen, as you most have said.
    (It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you.)

11. RC Didnt Offer

RC Didnt Offer 250+ Posts

Ask him if it has a serial number on it. Cant you check that number with APD and SAPD? If he starts getting nervous or doesnt respond then you have your answer.

12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Bring a taser with you when you show up to meet him.

13. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas 25+ Posts