Reading the tea leaves: Paul/Palin in '12?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Laphroaig10, Apr 29, 2009.

1. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

The GOP idea is to say "NO" to every proposal, continue Bush's tax policies favoring the upper classes, and allow many huge businesses to fail, because that's what the free market religion is all about.

2. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Murphy:

The plan is two fold and one of them is playing out....

Defense Procurement Reform. President Obama mentioned it last night, Senator McCain and another have sponsorded the bill. The other is/was to shrink the government down to a bearable size, ie 1994-1999, same as the Republican congress did during those years.

3. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

The Republicans have several viable candidates: Pawlenty, Jindahl, Gingrich, and Romney for starters. They're letting the Obamania dissipate before strongly attacking his much less popular policies. Don't worry, they'll have plenty of ammunition as the polls are indicating. No need for Paul or Palin to apply. Moderates will look conservative compared to Obama's policies which don't align with his moderate rhetoric. Huckabee might be a wildcard.

The huge deficits and resulting inflation will be the key issue in 2010 and 2012. A fiscally conservative/socially moderate Republican should have a pretty good shot. I fully expect Republican gains in Congress in 2010 and a close Presidential election in 2012 with additional Congressional gains. As an American, I hope Obama is wildly successful and wins reelection on the merits of his performance, but it won't be easy considering the difficulty of his task. Specter's move will make it even more likely that the Dems in Congress use all the rope they've been given to hang themselves. Every governmental issue can now be put squarely on the shoulders of the Dems. And there will always be issues.

Should Obama win in 2012, 2016 will be wide open because Biden won't be viable should he remain as VP for both terms. The political pendulum will continue to swing...

4. majorwhiteapples

The problem that I see with the Democrats is that they have too many hands in too many pots. This is the same thing that has been getting them time after time. You can't cater to every Special Interest Group, it is not possible.

I am just going to take Gay Marriage as an example, how does Obama win such an overwhelming majority in California but they can't pass a statewide proposition. Please don't tell me out of state voters or confusion on the ballot. From what I read the African Americans and Latin Americans voted overwhelming against it in comparison to who voted for Obama.

What that tells me is that while Obama was the overwhelming choice in CA, there are still people out there willing to break with the extreme edges of the Democratic party.

Look at Michigan, when that state is down it is strong for a new president, it does not matter what party, they are not loyal to any party, Liberal or Conservative. They are loyal to whoever will help them out the most. The state has had at least 60 years to diversify, what have they done?

Look at Texas, in the 80's we learned that we needed to diversify, what have we done? While the State of Texas is hurting it is not half as bad as the majority of the country, why? We learned that we had to diversify.

I think that the problem with the Republicans is that they are trying to cater to too many groups. That is the easy way, they are catering to large groups instead of winning voters over one by one with principles and integrity. The problem is that with Power there comes greed. Greed leads to corruption and taking the easy way.....

I believe that the governors of Louisiana and Minnesota are willing to go and win votes 1 by 1, they may lose to the group mentality in the short run, but in the long run they will win and make America greater.

5. RabidLonghorn

RabidLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

As a left wing voter I say yes to Paul/Palin in '12
    They wont even carry Alaska.

6. majorwhiteapples

Where I don't think that a Paul/Palin ticket would win, I know it would carry Texas and Alaska. This is not 2000 where the guy running could not even carry his home state.

7. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I like Palin for the simple fact that she pisses off the left more than any politician i can remember.

if obama can circle himself around a bunch of clinton administration retreads and claim to be qualified to run the country then so can she.

I mean, we can always get her a teleprompter although she doesnt seem to always need one like some others.... [​IMG]

8. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

9. majorwhiteapples

I like Palin because she is who she is. What you see is what you get. I don't think she has any hidden agenda's or is on a power trip. I think she does what she thinks is best for her country and for Alaska. She is just an ordinary citizen that happened to get thrust unto a spotlight that I don't think she was prepared for. For that matter, I don't think that President Obama was ready for the Office of President of the United States, I actually, got a sense from him of that last night. I am not sure that you can be prepared for that office.

Would I vote for her over other candidates, such as President Obama, Speaker Pelosi, Secretary Clinton, without a doubt. Would I vote for her over McCain, Jindahl, Pawtackny(sp), Romney....no. Now, Perry vs. Palin that would be interesting!

I would like to see that debate, Perry vs. Palin

10. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

11. hookem2003

hookem2003 500+ Posts

Paul - yes, Palin - no. RP brings truly different ideas from anything that has been trotted out lately. If they could pair him with a dynamic younger VP, it could be interesting. Palin does nothing for me.

Unfortunately it will never happen. The religious right owns the party and I'm not sure they even know what they are really driving at anymore.

12. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

13. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

anything the gop throws out at this point is delicious bait for the left.

14. majorwhiteapples

Please go after the governor of Minnesota, there is your bait, please go after the governor of Louisiana, come on take the bait.......

Please keep your focus on Pailn..........

You might want to learn a little from The Art of War.........

15. ihearttajeallen

ihearttajeallen 250+ Posts

wow, "Pawlenty, Jindahl, Gingrich, and Romney" sounds like a horrible law firm or a list of people who would get annihilated by a seasoned obama(teleprompter or no) in '12.

16. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

17. daytonhorn

daytonhorn 500+ Posts