Real Meaning of The Eyes of Texas

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by theiioftx, Oct 12, 2020.

1. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

For all the SJW players, Coaches, band members and other woke people. This came out 12 years ago, but epitomizes how I view the Eyes of Texas.

The Eyes of Texas are not about you, but about anyone who attends Texas regardless of race or gender.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

“we become the worlds conscience” oh my, please someone listen and understand!
    Great video and I agree, thanks for finding and sharing. That is what Texas and the anthem mean to me and have since I was about 10:years old and that was a long time ago. CDC needs to see that and commit to it.

• Like Like x 3
  3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

2 things.

1. I was expecting your autobiography.

2. I'm ready to suit up and play. The candy asses on this team should watch this.

• Like Like x 2
  4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

No one who wants the song gone is actually listening to any of this. They have decided they know better and facts, history and what it means to so many good people now doesnt matter, just what maybe possibly might have happened 117 years ago. When you are a hammer the whole world is a nail and those who oppose the song are hammers who will only ever see the nail and then claim its racist.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

How many on this board are old enough to remember "Minstrels"?

I remember visiting Roundup in HS. They were held under the stadium on the north and West sides. That year most of the fraternities had a skit for the show, but that only one show made it through the first performance because they were rude, crude, socially unacceptable, and couldn't spell "PC". Think along the lines of the old show "Nobody Likes a Smart ***" at the Old Absinthe Bar on Bourbon Street.

Big treat was one group sold near beer to raise money for Campus Chest

Maybe these players should try to find some old pictures (Jack's Party Pictures) to find more things to protest.

6. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Does anyone know if KLBJ still plays the Eyes of Texas on Fridays, or game days?

8. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Listen to that vid made me realize that this, the Texas situation, is the direction the US is headed. The similarity being how the few have moved the University away from all its traditions just as the ‘squad‘ is doing to the US Congress.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Does TH stay on the field and sing the song? I never heard if he did or not.

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

He was out there with a few others. Did he actually sing? Couldn't see from the 107, but someone sitting on the east side or north endzone might have had a view.

Did he go down there to support the kids and school? Or did he go down there to support his bank account? You choose.

• Like Like x 2
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm not trying to act like that Seinfeld episode ("Who isn't wearing the ribbon!). I was just curious how he was managing it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

???

Herman?

Chris?

13. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Herman.

14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I tried to do some research on the Eyes. From what I can find it was sung at one minstrel show in I think 1906.
    Then there were apparently minstrel shows put on by students into the 30s. White students who wore black face. I could not find that they sang the Eyes at these shows. If it was the school song I can't think they would use it to mock blacks in the show,
    It seems a stretch to conflate singing it at one minstrel show 20 years or more later with minstrel shows where there is no evidence it was sung.
    The other new criticism is the original words to the music which are said to be racist. There is nothing remotely racist in the railroad lyrics. Not even a hint .
    Is it too late for sanity?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Probably trying to figure out why he has to do that and why he can't be in the locker room with his puppets.

To use a phrase I used when the board gave management of MD Anderson to Catholic Healthcare Incompetence, "He couldn't manage a small town McDonald's in nowhere Iowa if it was the only restaurant for a hundred miles around."

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

It's all about connecting dots to come up with a narrative that fits. Something that MIGHT have even the slightest hint that could be used as a dot to connect with race.

Furthermore, from what I read, a dot was also connected to General Robert E. Lee telling his troops the eyes of the south were upon them at one time.

Later a UT President stated to the administration / students the Eyes of Texas are upon you.

So another dot is / was presented. Both were of course connected.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Apparently the dots connect thusly:
    - rebel troops were told the eyes of Gen Lee were upon them as they marched into battle.
    - Lee, when President of Washington and Lee University after the war, said the eyes of the south were upon the students.
    - The railroad song was introduced and performed at minstrel shows. Note minstrel shows were the MAIN form of entertainment in the 19th century for both whites and blacks. Some songs relied on negative stereotypes of blacks when performed (wearing blackface, clowning around, etc). What is not typically stated is that a lot of stage entertainment today was influenced by the minstrel acts (vaudeville, song and dance, stand-up comedy, etc.)
    - The Eyes was introduced at a minstrel show. No record if performed in blackface.
    - In short, anything associated with 19th century entertainment is racist by association regardless of the intent of the actor, musician, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

For $5MM per year, I'd sway side to side with aggy and saw the horns off.

Afterwards I'd spend half my earnings on bleach baths and intensive psychotherapy, but I would still have the other half of the money to enjoy.

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The problem is if there is a McDonald's you can bet there will be a Waffle House somewhere close.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Kristi has to approve that Waffle House in advance. I volunteer to take her and Bec on a tour. You can entertain Ronnie, but not sure he eats anywhere that has single digit items on the menu.

21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

#5 at Kellers.

22. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Take this food talk to Rusty’s Grill!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  23. Moskman1215

Moskman1215 25+ Posts

goosebumps

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If you knew Kristi, Bec, and Gus, you would know “this food talk” is football.

25. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Lol I may be missing the inside joke, I thought @theiioftx was just messing with ya

26. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I was. Sarcasm meter needs re-calibration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1