Reccomend a grill for my patio

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by wolfman, May 15, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

Im looking recommendations for a new grill for my patio. My old natural gas built in (grill box on a single pole) bit the dust a while back. Im looking for something in the $200 to $400 range. I dont want to put a built-in back in the same place, so for now Im just going to go with a non-stationary one so that I can move it out of the way when Im finished grilling.

I dont realy lke the idea of using propane but will for the portability. I would ideally like to find one that can also use natural gas and hook it to the old natural gas line as needed. Any suggestions are appreciated. One line of grills that look promising are the Kenmores at Sears. Also, I have heard about infrared grills. Is that an electric heating element for use with a rotisserie?

2. EEE

EEE 250+ Posts

From consumerreports.org top 5 grills in order (June '07):
    Weber Genesis E320 $700
    Vermont Castings Signature Series VCS3507P $700
    Blue Ember by Fiesta FG50069-U401 (Home Depot) CR Best Buy $450
    Broilmaster P3[BL] $1000
    Char-Broil Commercial Series 463268007 [Item #242266] (Lowe's) CR Best Buy $300

The $400 Kenmore 16233 is ranked 10th, but is one of the recommended models.
    These are all mid-size grills. They rank larger ones, but they get out of your price range.

As far as switching from LP to natural gas and back, you can't really do that. At least not without a lot of hassle.

3. CelisHorn

CelisHorn 100+ Posts

My old gasser was a ducane and was incredible. Probably a bit more than $400 but will last a lot longer.

4. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

The number of grill options has changed significantly since 1997. I wouldn't put much weight in those rankings. You might want to read this post.

5. EEE

EEE 250+ Posts

Oops. I meant to type '07. The latest issue.

6. VacantlyOccupied

VacantlyOccupied 500+ Posts

I just bought a Kenmore that I'm excited about. Medium-sized, with heavy porcelain coated iron grates. Last time I looked it was still on sale online for $200, marked down from $250.

While I was buying it I looked at a dual-fuel model they had for about $400. I'm pretty sure that Sears carries at least two dual-fuel grills, so you can use propane when you need portability but connect it to your gas line at home.

7. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I prefer a charcoal grill but have decided to buy a gas grill for obvious reasons. I'm looking for something in the $200-300 and have narrowed my search to either the Kenmore 596, 39,000 BTU grill, which is on sale through the 18th at Sears for $199 or the Char-broil Performance Series 45,000 BTU grill for $250. Anyone have one of these? All suggestions and comments welcome. Also, can you add wood chips to these grills? Or what could I do to give the food a better flavor?

Sears Kenmore 596
    [​IMG]

There are a couple more for $50 more that have more bells and whistles.

8. horn blooded

horn blooded 100+ Posts

Has anyone tried the Outdoor Gourmet from Academy? I really like the cast iron grates, but I can't find any feedback about them.

9. Sucklebuster

Sucklebuster 25+ Posts

I have a Natural Gas grill we purchased form Sears 10+ years ago.

One thing about gas grills, they all wear our. Make sure whatever grill you buy will have replacement parts in the future. AKA Sears or some other reputable brand - I order replacement parts about every 3 years, rebuild it and the old grill just keeps on going.

Gator

10. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

I picked up that Vermont Castings Signature for $300 a couple of months ago and have liked it so far.

11. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Anyone have recommendations for wood chips for a gas grill or are they not worth the trouble?

Also, is 39,000 BTUs a decent grill?

12. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

I looked a Sears, Lowes and Home Depot. I saw the grill that was in EEEs post as a top 5 consumer reports best buy: Char-Broil Commercial Series 463268007 @ Lowes for $300. The next model above it from Char-Broil that basically has a bigger grilling surface and a better cabinet normally retails for $400 is on sale for $359. I think that Im going to buy it this weekend. It looks like the best bang for the buck from what I have seen so far. It is also convertable to natural gas if I want to do that later.

13. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

You can do some wood chips in a grill, but it will not be the same as a smoker. You'd be lucky to notice any wood flavor at all, in fact. I'd say not worth it.

14. EEE

EEE 250+ Posts

I just saw that the Blue Ember grill is on sale for $400 at Home Depot. And you get free propane (you have to supply or buy the empty) till the end of the month.

Another thing that Consumer Reports article said was that BTU is not a reliable way to tell how hot a grill gets. They say it indicates how much fuel it uses, but other factors can make grills more or less efficient.

15. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

I got the Char-Broil on sale @ Lowes for $359 today. It was already assembled. I cooked a couple of steaks tonight and they turned out great. I highly recomment this grill for the money. Thanks for all of the suggestions from everyone.

16. chichantes

chichantes 25+ Posts

So here's my question. I've narrowed it down to the Weber Genesis E-310 and the Char-Broil Commercial Series #463268107. The Weber is $549 and the Char-Broil is $359. The Weber has 3 stainless burners (42,000 BTU) and 507 sq. in. cooking area. The C-B has 3 burners (50,000 BTU), 580 sq. in. cooking area, and has a side burner (which I probably won't use). I'm leaning toward the Weber primarliy because of name brand and quality, but wondering if it's worth the extra $200? Please talk me into or out of either one. I'd like to purchase this evening. HELP!

17. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

The CharBroil that I got at Lowes for $359 has 4 burners under the hood (not 3) and an extra one on the side. I didnt compare too much to the Weber Genises. I saw the price and was going for the most bang for the buck. The CBroil has been working fine for me. I dont have any complaints about it other than I wish the grill grates were a little higher quality.

18. chichantes

chichantes 25+ Posts

You're right, the C-B does have 4 burners and a side one. I wonder if the grates on the Weber are that much better. Can the grates be replaced for cheap? Like I said, I'm leaning toward the Weber but really don't want to spend that much.

19. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

Get the Charbroil. Use the $200 that you save and buy a cover for the grill, 10 good steaks, and a bunch of beer, then invite your friends over.

20. Holden

Holden 500+ Posts

I have the EP-320 and thoroughly enjoy it. My suggestion is to not worry about $200. The quality on the weber will amaze you. Only negative about the Weber gas grill - I no longer sit around with buds visiting while the coals "get right". 5 minutes and I've got meat cooking. 15 minutes later, I'm eating.

21. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

I have had my Weber Genesys for 10 years. I have only had to replace the 'flavorizer bars' that cover the burners. The thing still kicks *** and looks great.

I paid a little over $400 at the time. I consider that money well spent.

22. chichantes

chichantes 25+ Posts

Thanks. I'm going to pick up the Weber Genesis E-310 at lunch.

23. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I'm looking to buy a gas grill sometime this week and don't want to spend more than $300. I'm looking at these models: 1) Char-Broil Four Burner 50,000 BTU Gas Grill (Model: 463268007) $300;
    [​IMG]

2) Weber 26,000 BTU Dual Burner Gas Grill (Model: 6711001) $300;
    [​IMG]

I don't really need the side burner and looking for something simple. I live in a Townhome with a small brinked patio are where the grill will be located. The only protection from the weather will be the cover. May living situation may change in the next year so I'm not looking for an expensive grill. Suggestions/Comments?

24. threesheets

threesheets 250+ Posts

DC-

I was struggling with deciding between that Charbroil model and a Weber. I looked at the Weber you posted and those are just ugly grills (and small). I'm not sure that should matter much to me, but it does. I liked the Weber E-320, but $550 was a little more than I was willing to spend right now. I went with the Charbroil at $299. I lit it up yesterday as soon as I got it home and had it blazing in about five minutes. I think it's going to work out fine. Plus it looks great.

Lowe's will give you the 12 months no interest that Home Depot is giving you if you ask for it. They also threw in a $25 gift card for Omaha Steaks

25. threesheets

threesheets 250+ Posts

26. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

27. threesheets

threesheets 250+ Posts

Sonofabitch. So I coulda saved another $30?

One more thing- if you have an old propane tank, take it w/ you. They'll give you a new one (full) in exchange for free.

28. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Just pulled the trigger on the Char Broil 463268007 56,000 BTU grill for $269. Pretty good deal and I need to find a grill cover.

3Sheets - Maybe you could take the reciept back and get a credit?

29. threesheets

threesheets 250+ Posts

I was thinking the same thing.

As far as covers go, I just wanted one that was woven- not plastic. Got this one (Charbroil 68 inch) for $20 or so:

[​IMG]