Recommend some speakers for surround sound

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Hellraiser97, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

OK, so I bought a Yamaha RX-V1400 off my friend that moved back to London to go with the HD-DVD player I swiped from him.

However, he kept the speakers!

So now I need some speakers. I can't afford to spend too much (maybe $300-400). I really have no idea about speakers, so the price range is just something I'm throwing out. I have no idea where that falls in the range of things.

I know the RX-V1400 is 7.1 surround, but is there really much point to anything over 5.1?

If possible, I'd like the back speakers to be wireless, but not sure if that is even an option since the receiver doesn't have that option built in.

Thanks

2. SuperHero

SuperHero 500+ Posts

Speakers are probably the most important component of any sound system. Seriously, do NOT go cheap on them or you will regret it. If I was in your shoes, I'd buy the speakers over time, get two front speakers >>> the two rear >>> subwoofer >>> center channel. My pick would be the Ascend Acoustics CBM 170 SE speakers at $368/pair shipped.

3. hlaustin

hlaustin 250+ Posts

Great older receiver to go with. It should serve you well to build around for awhile. I am going to assume you are in new york from your sig. Check out the Paradigm Cinema 70ct system. Great value for a small system. Don't even think about wireless hasn't been perfected yet plus you have to plug in the speakers still to get power to them.

4. Gardner Barnes

Gardner Barnes 250+ Posts

I have some B&W speakers that are great (FPM6) The Link

5. mdmost

mdmost 100+ Posts

Agree with GB, go with B&W. Incredibly good speakers. I have the floor standing 604s and they kick so much ***. You can also go with some dipolar wall speakers. I went with the 601s which are front firing because I like to play multichannel music discs.

6. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

speaker craft.

cheap and allsome. tweeters can be "aimed" where you want them.

7. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

Just look for the nearest white cargo van.

8. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

I'll second the recommendation for the Ascend Acoustics. Fantastic speakers.

And unless hes looking to buy one and only one speaker, I don't think B&W is in his price range =p.

Some other companies to consider:

Hsu Research
    Elemental Designs <-- Great for a value sub.
    Rocket/Onix Series

I would recommend my speakers to you (Axiom Audio ->The Link however, they have a metal tweeter and need a warm/neutral receiver, IMO. The Yamaha's have, historically, been bright and airy which might be a poor pairing with the Axioms. Though, a lot of people like bright bright bright (the nicer word for bright is "detailed" [​IMG] ).

9. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

I'd recommend Hsu Research or a Velodyne sub.

Both consistently score well on subwoofer-shootouts. Plus, the being able to say you have a "turbo-charged" Hsu sub just plain sounds cool!

I use the two Veolydyne small cubes and Klipsch reference in my system. Horn tweeters not for everyone, but I think they do an incredible job in home theater applications.

10. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I definitely want to get the 5 speakers and subwoofer at the same time though to replace my current set up (which I think would explode if I tried plugging it into this new monster).

I like the wall hanging ones next to the Plasma TV that were linked, but I don't think they'll work for me. Not only does my Philips have speakers on the sides already that don't come off, it has that ambient light feature and I think it would mess with that effect.

While I don't want crap speakers, at the same time, my hearing isn't the best, so I really am unable to distinguish between the quality of the sound coming out unless it is substantial, so I think I need average to above average, not blow your socks off quality.

11. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

Might help to establish a budget first. How much are we talking about here? $500, $1,000, $2,000, more?

12. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

Essentially, I'd like to keep it under 5-600. I said 3-400 in the initial post, but I could probably swing a couple hundred more if necessary. The one hlaustin recommended can be found for $499, so that might be the deal. Obviously, he knows what he's talking about, but I'm still interested in poking around before I make a final decision.

I really can't go much more than $600 at this point. Like I said, I doubt I will be able to tell the difference between a $600 and a $1000 system anyway.

13. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

KEF

Any thoughts on these? A friend recommended them to me.

14. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

Never heard the KEF's in person so I can't really comment on them...

May I suggest: Hsu Research VT-12 Package

Couple that with: Elemental Designs A2 250

And you have a pretty solid 5.1 setup for $600 plus shipping.

Hsu Research is pretty well established and reputable and I would say get one of their subs to complement the VT12 package, however, their subs would put you over budget. Elemental Designs is an up and comer in the home theater area. They are very well known in the car audio realm and have never disappointed. I have had 2 of their various 12" subs in my car and they sound amazing. I have also heard their A5 home theater sub and I can't imagine finding a better bang for the buck sub. I would think the A2 250 won't disappoint either.

15. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

Sorry Hellraiser, missed your budget in your original post.

How big is your room, how big a speaker can you accomodate?

Truth be told, buying a new speaker is not a good way to go. Finding a gently used speaker set on Craigslist or other site yields you a much better value.

I've listened to KEF before. I like them, if only a little bright for my taste.

16. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

The Hsu's HB-1's are incredible values at $125 each ($625 for 5 channel). You are still sub-less, but you can likely pick up a used quality one for under $250 at some point.

PSB Alpha B1's are also a great buy. About $700 without the sub.

Both are above your original budget, but sound much better than significantly more expensive speakers and will blow the doors off a home-theater-in-a-box speakers.

Otherwise, I'll throw out a Polk complete system that should come in budget from Circuit City. Of the big box - mass retail speakers, they and Klipsch are my personal favorites. I'm sure you can get a 5.1 system for $600 or less with Polk.

17. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

Room is probably 15x15, maybe a tad smaller.

I'm looking at the used route as well.

18. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

Sorry, "bright" means they weigh-in a little heavy on the tweeter (highs) and present a slightly imbalanced sound. Also known as being "forward"