Red River Offensive Play Calling

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Austin_Bill, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Best I've seen in such a long time. If Beck can continue to call plays like this he will likely get a head job pretty quick.

2. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

It would be interesting to see who called the plays today. Beck or TH? If anyone knows I hope they post here. Betting on it being TH, but I could be wrong.

3. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Looked like TH to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Amazing how much better the play calling is with a somewhat effective o-line.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

And against a really crappy defense...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  6. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

But we have some crappy D coming up. Baylor, TT, Kansas, OSU. Not sure on WVU as I haven't really watched them play. But I don't think we'll play a top 25 D the rest of the way. What scares me is having to play OU again. I hate this CC game. It's just dumb and a reaction to Baylor and TCU not getting in. If that had of been OU or Texas they are in. No need to add that stupid game that's going to cost a Big 12 team in the playoffs as often as it helps. Just off the top of my head, NU, KState, us all lost shots at a natty due to loss in the title game. But at least it was 50/50 a team you hadn't played and decided something. What does it prove to beat a team 2x from a round robin format? Hated it when it was announced and still hate it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. havoc7701

havoc7701 Sponsor and Aggy Ridiculer

You are absolutely right. This Big 12 CC is just plain stupid. Having to play the Gooners again after the RRS is lame - it takes away the meaning of todays game somewhat. Let’s hope Blow-U drops another game somehow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

The "committee" penalized the B12 for not having a CCG but then last year decided it wasnt necessary to get Bama in....

I agree its dumb. Every team plays every team. Hence a CCG is pointless and redundant.

College football might as well have the BCS again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. FourHorner

FourHorner 100+ Posts

I agree with the above three posts. The NCAA used lack of a CCG to justify leaving Baylor and TCU out of contention but have not used it in any cases before or since. Was it the NCAA or was it ESPN pushing the CCG reasoning? I don't like the Big12 letting flighty reasoning like that help determine CCG policy for our conference.

I liked the CCG when we had divisions in the Big 12, but agree it doesn't make sense now. Besides, I think these student-athletes are being asked to play too many games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Fourth that point. It really was the conference knuckling under to a relentless barrage of uninformed talking heads saying "Well, the Big XII got penalized for not having a championship game" in what was frankly a pretty unique situation. If the tournament really did choose to pass on a Big XII team because the Big XII "didn't actually name a clear-cut champion," then they're idiots. But I don't think that's why it happened - it happened because the committee didn't want to pick TCU, and they found a reason not to.

So the league overreacts, makes a kneejerk reaction and puts in a system that will screw us more often than not as opposed to the previous system that had one hiccup and likely would be repeated maybe every five or six years if that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

I don't mind the CCG. However, in exchange for playing the CCG, the conference and TV networks should allow each conference team to set the start time of their own games throughout the season. If UT wants all night games, that's fine. If they want a mix, that's fine, too. Just a thought.

12. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

I like this idea:

If #1 and #2 in the conference have the same conference W-L record, neutral site.
    If #1 has a better conference W-L record, they get to play the CCG at home.
    If the NFL can schedule multiple playoff games on one week's notice, it shouldn't be hard to do it for only one game.

Back to OP, I agree. The last time I remember a comparably well-called game against OU was 2008, or maybe 2013.

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Big XII winner and ND should play the 13th game. Prob!am solved.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

If it comes down to a 1 loss Texas vs a 1 loss Notre Dame, it could be that CC that makes the difference in who they take.

15. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

True, but we shouldn't have to jump through an extra qualifying hoop to prove our case. Especially if it is against a team we already beat.

16. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

The other thing is suppose you are the 2nd place team with 2 losses and then lose again and get pushed out of a New Years day bowl. All in all this is going to hurt the conference more than it helps. I'd bet pretty heavy on that. And if Baylor or TCU would have just gone undefeated they were in. Play a crap schedule and more is required. No need for the CCG. Just man up and play someone in NC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. beer_dog

beer_dog 100+ Posts

If we have to play OU one more time I say bring it on! It is an big time honor to beat them two times in one season, I do not believe any Texas team has done that. I can't wait to play them again.

18. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Let's all give credit where credit is due. Most of us (myself included) have lauded Orlando and his defense for saving our bacon in many games the last two years and blasted Beck for not scoring enough. Yesterday it was the offense and Tim Beck that saved the day.

We needed every one of the 48 points to win the game - let's give Tim his due

Great game coach Beck :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I remember when the Big Televen and Pac 10 actually had 11 and 10 teams, respectively. Remember how hard it was for their champion to get any respect when those conferences didn't have a CCG? Yeah...me neither.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Even with a tougher schedule, they'd have likely been left out for a team with a more famous name on the front of the jersey.