Rednecks shoot black kid running in neighborhood

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by AustinHorn24, May 5, 2020.

1. AustinHorn24

AustinHorn24 250+ Posts

Report of a black individual breaking/entering houses, 2 rednecks see a black guy running by so they load up their shotgun and handgun and go chase him down. Rednecks proceed to shoot the black guy.

Obviously the rednecks in the wrong for 1) tailing the wrong black guy; 2) decision to take the law into their own hands instead of calling police.

However, if you watch the video you'll see the black kid charge the guy holding the shotgun. I'm sorry but that's not very smart.

This reminds me of the Trayvon Martin story (or at least the story told from the perspective of George Zimmerman). White guys overreact (Latino in Zimmerman's case) leading to a conflict that was totally preventable -- but then the victim of the shooting shows aggression and tries to fight the shooters, resulting in a predictable outcome.

Maybe it's just me, but if I see someone pointing at weapon at me in an open environment where I can escape, my last thought is to charge the shooter unless my wife/kid are with me. Why are these guys charging the shooters? Are they so amped up on adrenaline that they dont notice the weapons they are carrying?

2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Of course, I have to apply this disclaimer. I only know what I've seen in media reports. The media has been notoriously wrong in racially-charged cases, and when they are, it is virtually always against the white person.

Having said that, there are some differences from the Trayvon Martin case. First, Zimmerman called the cops and stopped pursuing Martin. Second, the confrontation that led to Martin's death was likely initiated by Martin. Third, Zimmerman was part of the neighborhood watch and had business looking out for potential bad guys. Fourth, the Martin shooting happened at night.

In this case, these guys pursued Arbery and cut him off at the intersection, which frankly is a dangerous move. They initiated what was ultimately the lethal confrontation, and they did so in broad daylight. To me, that makes them worse than Zimmerman.

Honestly, I'm generally supportive of Stand Your Ground laws. However, these cases in which they're used by a person who initiates contact with someone who isn't threatening them are not good anecdotes and rub me the wrong way. Why? Because they too easily ignore the rational assumptions as well as the of rights and duties of the person confronted.

Did Arbery have a duty to answer to these guys? Why would he? If some old man with a Dirty Hairy complex had approached me mouthing off, "hey Boy, what are your doing around here?" I'd say, "none of your damn business. I don't owe you an explanation." If he chased me with a truck, I'd assume I was in danger and that he was "up to no good." If he pulled a gun on me, I'd really assume it. Would I have tried to fight him? No, I'm not that dumb. I would have begged for mercy and asked him what he wanted from me.

So should Arbery have fought a guy he knew to be armed? No, but he should never have felt the need to, because they shouldn't have confronted him. However, if the SYG laws are applied to protect these guys, then effectively they had a right to confront this guy, and he had an affirmative duty to answer to them. That's BS.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Looks bad. Needs a full investigation, grand jury and trial. Not sure where immediately labeling these guys rednecks helps, but I guess that is always the narrative when these incidents occur.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They could Jewish brain surgeons from New York City, but I think redneck is a safer bet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

There's also that angle where the older man worked for the DA's office at one point, hence the slow-to-act reasons for prosecutors to move on this case.

I know this is cliche, but if the roles were reversed and this was a white jogger ambushed by black gun-toters who didn't want him in their neighborhood, the outrage and counter-outrage would have taken the populous by storm about 10 weeks ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Well it does suffice as a derogatory way to inflame a bad situation to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

No doubt.

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Really? Because I actually doubt it. If the races were reversed, most likely, the racial angle wouldn't be by played at all, which means it would most likely not even be a national story.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I think this is a news story regardless of the racial component. I agree with Deez that stand your ground laws have a reasonable basis. However in cases where armed persons scare/intimidate/outrage somebody through dumbassery, I don't think it should give them a license to kill. Basically, this amounted to attempted armed kidnapping and forceful resistance was appropriate.. Cops can hassle folks who look inappropriate in a neighborhood. Father and son with guns... if it's legal it shouldn't be.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unless you live in the Memorial Villages or have private constable patrol, good luck getting anyone to the scene in less than two hours.

11. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

If a video surfaces of two people of any color waiting in a truck with loaded guns - one of them in the back of a truck- who then shoot and kill another person it will get covered similarly.

The question here is why did this video just now surface and who took it?

12. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

• poop poop x 1
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Because the best way to get people to come together on something is to politicize it to its fullest. That's what we need.

14. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Shaun King doesn't want to bring anyone together he wants to vanquish his foes.

However, I am against the rednecks too in this instance.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Two men with guns attack an unarmed man. Cowards to the core. I am 100% for our 2nd Amendment, but that was a criminal act as much as the two guys at the Dollar Tree that shot the security guard.

I hope justice is served, one way or another.

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

I just watched a video in which I believe the person in the video murdered someone. I suspect I have probable cause for a citizen's arrest. If Cletus Jr. resists my citizen's arrest, I might have to shoot him in the brain pan.

Is that how it works?

• poop poop x 3
  17. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

That depends on the nature of the resistance.

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

They certainly shouldn't apply to protect the person who instigated the confrontation by coming after someone else with a gun.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Unlike the other cases were the MSM did their best to create a false narrative with lies and many distortions of fact, this is pure murder. Watching that video makes me sick and I feel horrible for Arbery and his family.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

We'll see. You would need sympathetic groups to fund your legal defense to get off scot free. Too bad there is no handy civil liability mechanism to pay injured parties for misuse of guns like there is if the killers had run over the victim with their pickup.

21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

What those 2 did especially the son is sickening. No one deserves to be shot by a civilian playing cop.Yes they deserve a trial but justice will be done.
    That said I also have an issue with portraying the victim as pure d innocent. NO knowing he had had run ins with the law does NOT excuse the sick killing.But it is part of the whole story.

Here is a letter from the second DA to recuse from the case.Notice where the DA says they have video of him burglarizing a home right before the confrontation.
    "
    "Dear Ms Crittendon and McGowan:

Thank you again for emailing back. This is a case without any law enforcement warrants. I agreed to take the file from Jackie Johnson, the District Attorney in Glynn County, for review to see if it justified and arrest and/or presentation to a Glynn County Grand Jury.

Greg McMichael, a party/ witness in the matter, retired from law enforcement then worked at her office as an investigator for several years up until re-retiring about 10 months ago. His son, whom I have never met and do not know, is the shooter in this case. Ahmaud Arbery was shot and died in this confrontation.

Upon taking the case, my office began gathering the array of materials one normally gathers. My Chief Victim Assistant, Tammy Horlock, talked several times with Mr Arbery's family; I spoke to the mother once; Senior ADA Michelle McIntire was monitoring the collection of information through Capt. Tom Jump GPD. We had told the family it would take a month to 6 weeks to get the autopsy report. They apparently did not believe us. Note: Ms McIntire in my office received the autopsy April 2nd. I know they called the Attorney General Office sometime during this time.

My son works as an Assistant District Attorney for Jackie Johnson. Unknown to Jackie and me until about 3-4 weeks ago, he had handled a previous felony probation revocation and pleading Ahmaud Arbery to a felony in her Glynn County Office.

A local 'rabble rouser' has taken up this cause and begun publishing wild and factually incorrect and legally wrong accusations on Facebook and other social media formats calling for marches and physical affronts be made against the McMichaels at their homes, and my son's home in Brunswick etc.. . To date I have seen no direct connection between the 'rouser' and the family other than their increased calls for my office to be removed, that I must be biased.

This family are not strangers to the local criminal justice system. From best we can tell, Ahmauds older brother has gone to prison in the past and is currently in the Glynn jail, without bond, awaiting new felony prosecution. It also appears a cousin has been prosecuted by DA Johnson's office. Ahmaud, the deceased, had a juvenile and adult felony record.

In that regard, given the connection between myself and my son, and my son having worked with Greg McMichael for several years, and now known that he and Greg McMichael both helped with the previous prosecution of Arbery; I believe it is in the best interest of justice to recuse both myself and my office from this particular investigation.

In doing so I request another District Attorney be appointed to review the file and give advice to the Glynn County Police Department and determine whether there is anything justifying a presentation to a Glynn County Grand Jury.

I believe we have the majority of the information at our office. There is a decent cell phone video of the entire shooting incident, also video of Arbery burglarizing a home immediately preceding the chase and confrontation. We have a witness list and have done research we would include with the file to be available for the new prosecutor's use if desired.

Thank you for your help in this matter

George E Barnhill

District Attorney

Waycross Judicial Circuit"

22. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Unfortunately, Georgia laws are pretty lax when it comes to this. No way the man needed to die. If he was robbing homes, it will make a conviction even harder. What a horrible situation all around. Those two idiots need to be in jail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

So per the memo that USA Today obtained, this wasn't a case of "local authorities had a dead guy and two people who claimed self-defense, and didn't have enough evidence to say it wasn't self-defense, so they didn't arrest them during the ongoing investigation". They had the video the whole time and still didn't charge anyone!

24. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

It’s hard to separate the violence of the action from the judgment of right and wrong simply because the act is so violent, people typically don’t see others being killed, and someone died.

If that kid got shot one minute earlier while burglarizing a house, no one would give a damn. Now he’s portrayed as an “innocent jogger”. If the guy that shot him was chasing his *** down for the cops, I’m okay with that. I wouldn’t advise doing so without proper training. A taser would have come in handy.

It looks as though these two had prior negative interactions, and, of course, the black guy has a record. Statistically speaking, he probably didn’t have a daddy at home, so the lack of discipline in the black community costs another life. I assume you can carry a shotgun in that locale, so that’s not a violation of the law. I don’t understand why the kid ran at a guy holding a gun. Stupidity? Anger? Both? I can’t see self defense as a reason. Regardless, Darwin claims another victim.

If he was already a convicted felon and was out robbing houses, f’ him. I have no sympathy whatsoever.

If someone tries to take a weapon you are legally carrying from you, and is hitting you with their fist, I’m okay with blowing a hole in them because they will damn sure shoot you if you give it up. The standing rule taught in my house was, “if you’re going to pull a weapon, you better be shooting”. That advice still rings true to me.

Bring on the race hustlers and political agendas! Time to make hay!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  25. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

In my mind this is a open and shut case, these dudes did this 74 days ago and only now are being brought to justice. That isn't the act of two guys looking to be good citizens, that is the act of First degree murders. You shoot someone and leave the scene, you are guilty of murder, you don't come forward and let the police find you. In my mind, that is death sentence or minimum life in prison.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

In some states (not sure about GA), what they did wouldn't be "attempted kidnapping". It would be kidnapping. Under Texas law, for example, threatening deadly force to restrain someone from moving is kidnapping.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
  27. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

As Stephen Colbert put it: "It's a case of "he said, he's dead."

28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Put them AWAY.

29. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

That is not true in every case and depends on the facts of the situation.

30. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

I haven’t read that anywhere, but if true that certainly looks bad for the shooter.

• Agree Agree x 2