Refinishing a bathtub

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by mars, Nov 5, 2007.

1. mars

mars 100+ Posts

I have a sliding glass door on my bathtub that I want to remove. I've heard that the tub will be torn up pretty good underneath where the door frame was. I'm thinking the tub might need to be refinished becasue of this. Does anyone know how much it costs to get a tub refinished? I'm looking for something cheap that will look good. Probably will sell the house within the next year. Any suggestions for making this look decent without paying much?

2. austintex

austintex 500+ Posts

It costs about $300 to refinish a good-sized tub. A guy will come in, strip the tub and then and spray it with a fiberglass/plasticy sort of thing. It takes a couple of days to dry.

There's usually a guarantee against damage from normal use of 1-3 years, depending on the company. The new surface can scratch a little easier, so you can't use harsh cleaners on it (windex is best).

3. mars

mars 100+ Posts

Thanks for the info.

4. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

How do you look these guys up in the yellow-pages (what are they listed under)? I'm also curious.... I have a tub that is about 45 years old. The tub itself is in great shape, but the finish has worn off completely in some spots. Because of that, it gets dirty pretty damn quickly.

5. TxEx2x

TxEx2x 100+ Posts

I'd be careful going with this solution if you plan to use the tub more than a year... I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and looked into just getting the tub refinished. Several folks I talked to that had this done said that it wasn't a permanent solution... They had problems with the "finishing" coming off and separating from the tub after a short time. I ended up just replacing the tub... I got a new tub from Lowes, removed the old one myself and hired a plumber to install the new one. I did it for about $500, but got lucky in that I didn't have to do any tilework...

6. TubaForce

TubaForce 25+ Posts

the track on almost all shower doors is is just held in place with some silicone caulk. The side pieces are usually drilled into the wall and the top track only sits on the side pieces (held down by the weight of the doors). Use a plastic putty knife to break through the silicone to remove the bottom track. Get a nylon scrub pad to remove the remaining caulk. If the tub is either cast iron or enameled steel, you probably wont even see discoloration after you clean it up.

7. TubaForce

TubaForce 25+ Posts

Stuck at work

I had an old claw foot tub redone about 20yrs ago in a remodel I was working on. I cant remember the name but they were out of round rock and thik were listed under restoration. I believe they are still around and did great work.

8. EEE

EEE 250+ Posts

9. mars

mars 100+ Posts

Thanks, guys! Hopefully I won't have to spend anything on it. God knows I don't need another expense.

10. mars

mars 100+ Posts

Thanks, guys. I removed the shower doors last night and it was very easy. No damage was done, and it looks a 1000 times better. Of course now there are drill holes in the tile. Can I fill those with something, or do I have to replace the tiles? I can replace the tiles, but the home is old and no one has been able to match the tile exactly, so I'm not sure which would be more obvious.