Refs

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by stevedallas, Dec 2, 2018.

1. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

Though I believe there have been bad calls that have cost games (Mike Renfro non-TD against Steelers in AFC Championship), I have only ever had the feeling the refs were supposed to decide a game twice.

The first was the Bonfire Game.

The second was yesterday. The Big 12 needed to have a team in the playoff....so, OU had to win. The lack of calls against OU and the some of the timely calls against Texas just seemed to add to the feeling.

In the end, probably better for Texas that we lost..b better bowl game for us....still.....I have that nagging feeling....

2. MUCHO

MUCHO 100+ Posts

You won’t get much disagreement on this SteveDallas. For more reading, see thread “big 12 refs atrocious,” which is down a few. Lots of discussion. Short and simple - big 12 needs to improve its officiating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Worst I have ever seen was the ref lean into Strong. That one reeked of a racist pig, but only the ref that did it knows why. But he sure the hell leaned into him to create contact. Never seen that in 50 years of watching football. If I was Strong I'd have punched him and said I felt threatened when he tried to sue because he had initiated contact in an inappropriate way.

Worst screw up I can remember was the 5th down that gave Colorado an NC. I mean there are judgement calls but how the hell do you not know how many downs have been played?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

One of of the worst was the Grant Teaff final game against Texas. The refs gave the game to Baylor.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

6. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Remember it like it was yesterday.
    Luv ya Blue!

7. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

If referees in any game are deliberately favoring a team in order to get a particular outcome then I don’t think officiating necessarily needs “improving” in that case because it is simple corruption/fraud.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't buy that it's deliberate or a conscious choice by the officials. Having said that, I'm in Birmingham this weekend, and a guy I was talking to with no dog in the fight whatsoever said (unprompted from me) that it was pretty clear that the Big XII wanted Oklahoma in the playoffs. I don't think that's what was happening, but certainly that unbiased opinion was that Texas got generally hosed by the officiating.

9. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I was watching the Steelers-Charges game last night. On LAC's first TD, their right tackle moved a full count before any other OL. It wasn't called and the announcers went crazy. The TD was allowed to stand. How do you miss a huge tackle jumping the gun? Refs are human.

Most of our penalties were deserved. I mean, Kris Boyd's 13 PI calls all looked legit. He was holding even when they weren't throwing at him. I don't know how many points he cost us. Herman should have sat him down to think about it for a series or two. This year's team was very undisciplined and it killed us in close games.

That said, the holding call on LJH's kickoff return at the end of the game was pretty CS . As someone commented, you could call holding on every ST play ever run. The holding was behind the ball. The non-PI call against LJH was a killer too.

Hopefully, the staff will stress trying to play penalty free for the Sugar Bowl. Maybe they can teach KB to look back when the receiver looks back and act like he's playing the ball, not the man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

[broken record]Big 12 refs have had it in for Texas since the Big 12 was formed. These days they don't even try to hide it anymore[/broken record]

The 4th down call against us vs. Ok State where they had 8-9 men in motion at the same time, 3 of them moving towards the LOS, and we get flagged for encroachment is the top of my list for this year. However, the list is long and there were several examples on Saturday, as noted. Even so, we played pretty sloppy ball and deserved most of the penalties we got, Kris Boyd I am looking at you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

12. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

13. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

THere was another PI on us where there was essentially no contact. The game was poorly officiated. Simple as that and the calls did not go our way. It happens sometimes, but I don't think there is any great conspiracy. You want good officiating, you gotta pay more and get full time refs like in the NFL.

14. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

15. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I didn't make that game, but my good buddy, Bill, talked about it until his dying day.

16. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

BUBBA....I had an o.u. buddy start foaming at the mouth at me concerning this play....I didn't even remember it, went back and watched it....please, do so and tell me that that is not pass interference...regardless of what happened after our guy was mugged on the play.....BUBBA, let me know how that is NOT pass interference....

17. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I watched it and remember specifically one play where the Baylor fumbled, our guy came out of the pile with the ball almost immediately, the refs ignore him, pretend to look for the ball for a few more seconds and give it back to Baylor.