Refugee Caravan Heading For U.S.

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Clean, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Except that isn't what they were doing.

The travel ban case was a very different matter governed by different laws and very different facts. They aren't at all analogous.

2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's less common than liberal judicial activism (mainly because it's less necessary), but it certainly exists, and it's every bit as bad and as dangerous as liberal judicial activism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

According to the Atlantic they did except they didn't stress "detrimental to the US" very hard but it was there.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Did what?

5. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

look above for the edit.

6. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

It does but it's less than liberal activism.....by far.

7. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

If you say so.

8. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

lol

9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They may have made the argument (since they had nothing else), but it's extremely weak. Borderline frivolous.

It was NOT frivolous on the travel ban. Like I said that was a very different case.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  10. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

:brickwall: Another even larger horde is getting ready to try to get in.
    Another, bigger migrant caravan is set to leave from Honduras next month
    "Another migrant caravan — this one estimated at 15,000 people — is preparing to leave Honduras on Jan. 15, according to migrant rights advocates and Spanish-language media.

“They say they are even bigger and stronger than the last caravan,” said Irma Garrido, a member of the migrant advocacy group Reactiva Tijuana Foundation.

Meanwhile, thousands of Central American migrants from a caravan that left Honduras in October remain stranded at the U.S.-Mexico border and languishing in crowded Tijuana shelters while they wait out a lengthy process to file asylum requests with the United States."

We were stupid to let in ANY of the first horde. It will never stop until we make changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Were? We were stupid? Washington is the most stupid group of human beings on earth,,,well let me modify, the most stupid, rich, arrogant, self serving, bunch of Aholes in North America.

13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

nash
    Thanks for the distinction. Americans are generous and giving, sometimes to a fault
    But yes it is the Pols who are sinking us.

14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Why are Liberals so easily able to separate this from illegal aliens entering our country and do it with such arrogance and sanctimony?

2012 Nuevo Laredo massacres - Wikipedia

The cartels are fighting for control of the corridor in Nuevo Laredo that leads into Interstate 35, one of the most lucrative routes for drug traffickers.[5] Nuevo Laredo is a lucrative drug corridor because of the large volume of trucks that pass through the area, and the multiple (exploitable) ports of entry.[6] Over 40% of all cargo crossings from Mexico to the United States crosses through the border checkpoints in Nuevo Laredo.[7] It is for the same reason that Tijuana and Ciudad Juárez are so valuable for the drug trafficking organizations.[6]

15. Seattle Husker

How is the wall going to impact any of that last paragraph?

16. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

Well this may be what it takes for the Mexican government to take some ownership. If 15K get held up on the Mexican side then the hypocrisy will be at epic proportions because the Mexican people will be even less hospitable this time. The one thing that Border Agents need to do this time is run a 24 hr camera to make sure the whole "fleeing from teargas" episode is captured and the world doesn't get the perfect moment image that CNN et al, is so great at leveraging. The GOP has to get much more savvy at media spin.

In my Army days, we used to release news bits to the AFG press at 0500 in the morning so that the US version of events would be first to press. That at least blunted the spin that the bad guys would try to throw out. We didn't always win the media battle but being second to the punch was always a losing proposition. If you want to win the media battle, you have to have your version of events ready to go before the other guys.
    "A lie can travel halfway round the world while the truth is putting on its shoes"---Mark Twain

• Like Like x 2
  17. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I have mixed feelings about the wall. But it has become the entire focus of the Left. The wall is part of a portfolio of a nation that wishes to control its borders. That's all it is to me. As for what I posted, it was intended to remind people who are offended by Trump discussing criminals coming from Mexico of the reality of those criminals. They line the border. The idea that we can separate them as a non-entity or irrelevant from the rest of those who seek to cross legally or illegally is not realistic to me.

18. Seattle Husker

Whoa! Who shut down the government over the wall? You may want to recalibrate who is focusing on the wall.

• poop poop x 1
  19. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yes, I wasn't very nuanced; I forgot the sanctuary cities and the calls to abolish ICE.

Look, I'm not that comfortable talking about keeping people out or deporting people, leaving family members behind. I don't like to be the one coldly behind the law. But how much is Trump asking for? Why are the Democrats the Party of No when they know the border is being breached daily? Why do Democrats blame Trump for the tragic deaths of two children but ignore that a policeman in California was murdered by an illegal immigrant who may have been allowed to stay by the aggression of Sanctuary Laws embodied by the Mayor of Oakland?

This type of back and forth is not helping anyone. But is it not so that we should have an immigration policy that limits and vets properly? Why must we listen to open border advocates who care not about poor people or the irony of crime committed by the poor; ironic because the Left argues that race is not the problem of crime in America but instead that of poverty. And I agree with that. Yet we continue to see the enabling of further abject poverty in America. What man or woman who has toiled for 45 years, paying into the SS/Medicare system should accept one cut in benefits or pay taxes on their ENTITLEMENT (because they ARE entitled to it) to pay for the families of illegal immigrants (educating their children for instance)? What hard working American should pay more taxes in an inflationary world to pay for more poor people? Why is a tax reduction that is on everyone's paycheck (and it's true, check the tax tables) so vilified by the Left yet they continue to enable the migration of poverty into the United States?

These are the things that I think about.

As for the government shut-down, who is to blame? Those who pretend that $5 Billion is a lot of money (it's not) or those who are fed up with the coyotes, the drug dealers and the people who do not care for our laws or our culture except to come here and exist while we have homeless who must sit out in the cold in another long winter?

The wall won't solve it but it is part of it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

This
    "Why do Democrats blame Trump for the tragic deaths of two children but ignore that a policeman in California was murdered by an illegal immigrant who may have been allowed to stay by the aggression of Sanctuary Laws "

There are 53 Calif. pols in Congress. The faux outrage over 2 kids who tragically died after their handlers subjected them to horrendous conditions has been long and loud blaming Trump
    How many made ANY statements concerning the tragic AND preventable murder of a LEGAL immigrant by an illegal??
    The one Repub issued a note of sympathy. One Dem retweeted a tweet by someone from NY>
    So far unless I missed it Nancy has said nothing.

This says ALL we need to know about how the Calif Dems really feel> It is ONLY to bash Trump

21. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Another 500 leaving Honduras bound for U.S. border. They know there's not really much we can do to stop them.

Meanwhile, Laura Loomer and some Guatemalan illegals scaled the wall surrounding Nancy Pelosi's mansion. They are demanding to be let inside (are they claiming asylum status?). They also tried her door to see if it was locked.

Ha, ha, ha, kudos to you Laura Loomer.

22. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

One solution to this problem is to defederalize border control. Allow states and cities and even neighborhoods to police their own borders. It allows areas who want open borders to have them. It also provides the signal for migrants about where to go, hint where it's open. It also gives states a right of refusal for migrants from other states. That could be a bit problematic, I agree. But it allows each state and city to maintain their own culture and property without grinding the federal government to a halt over the disagreement.

23. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts