Refurbished Cotton Bowl

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by HornFan4Ever, Oct 11, 2008.

1. HornFan4Ever

HornFan4Ever 25+ Posts

Cudos to the team today for an amazing game and I was blown away by the improvements in the stadium. It was almost hard to remember how bad it used to be. Plenty of restrooms now, plenty of concessions, decent concourses. Love the noise of the Texas fans stomping on the metal upper decks in the end zone, too. It sounded like a stampede was headed to the field!!!

There is clearly no reason now to ever consider moving this game...life is good!!!!

2. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

Jerry will probably give the schools a bunch of $$$ to try to move the game, but maybe the city of Dallas will stick to its guns and try to compete.

3. elmstreetdallas

elmstreetdallas < 25 Posts

Try to compete? You're kidding, right?

The RRS in the Cotton Bowl blows away every other college game-day experience in the country.

They don't have to "try" and compete. They already won that battle.

4. atxbomber

atxbomber 1,000+ Posts

5. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

I too was impressed with the Cotton Bowl and even more impressed with our team. Both athletic directors know who the repective fanbases feel about the game staying at the State Fairground and it will not move to Arlington.

6. Sac

Sac 25+ Posts

I heard a couple of weeks ago on the radio (Ed Clemments, don't know the reliability) that Arkansas was trying to pull out of the bout with us year to year to take on an annual match up with aggy in Jerryworld similar to what we have with OU.

Dunno, just what I heard Ed say on KLBJ one morning. That would seem to me that that he has pretty much f'ed all his chances to get Tx/ou if he was going for it.

7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

8. History Horn

History Horn 100+ Posts

Pig vs. Aggy game is set to be played every year at Jerryworld.

Every time the State Fair has tried to broker negotiations to add a marquee CFB matchup to Texas/OU, Jerry gets in the middle and muddies things up.....think Tech vs. Okie State.

Hook 'em

9. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

Pork and Ags is set up for a 10 year run at Jerrysworld starting next year.

10. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts

If they ever move this game out of the Cotton Bowl, some serious **** is going to happen....and that's all I'm gonna say for now.

11. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

I think it has kept it here for well past 2015. Deloss said it aint going anywhere on his watch. Of course we will be paying $115 a seat to play North Texas in a couple of years and $175 for Nebraska and Hooterville. Frankly to keep it at the Cotton Bowl, just go ahead and screw us with season tickets and Foundation Donantions.

12. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

I posted my opinions here, but I'll post them here as well.

13. YeaTexasFight

YeaTexasFight 1,000+ Posts

Awesome! I was one section in to the new upper deck and it was great. Great views, much easier to get in an out of.

only complaint is that the only speakers appear to be on the scoreboard. I rarely could hear the PA announcer...which is a shame. that gentleman is great.

14. hornfan13

hornfan13 25+ Posts

I thought the stadium was greatly improved. Of course it could have had something to do with my seat, between the 49 and 50 yard lines, on row 1 of the upper level... [​IMG]

The 2 small patched of ou fans mirroring the tunnel and the jumbotron were sort of odd.

15. calico

calico 100+ Posts

As a huge fan of The Taj Ma Jerry and the Cowboys...this game must not leave the State Fair.

16. Doughbroz

Doughbroz 250+ Posts

17. PunkRockinHorn

PunkRockinHorn 100+ Posts

The stadium and atmosphere were incredible yesterday. It was nicer, more bathrooms, concessions, everything was better, louder too.

18. StoOgE

StoOgE 100+ Posts

Still a shame they couldnt keep the actual cotton bowl (didnt Jerry steal that?) and get it moved to the 5th BCS game.

19. 3rd Generation

3rd Generation 25+ Posts

Getting in was easy but getting out of section 120 was a nightmare. It took about 45 minutes to move 30 feet to the stairway. It would only allow two single file rows of people at a time to exit.

20. daytonhorn

daytonhorn 500+ Posts

21. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Yup, they need to work on egress.

Overall, it was 100x better than before. The current contract runs through 2015, and I have little doubt that within the next year or two it will be extended to run through 2025.

22. crimsonlonghorn

crimsonlonghorn 100+ Posts

23. Bubba Don

Bubba Don 250+ Posts

The Cotton Bowl committee are idiots to play the annual January game at Jerryworld.

The rennovations are outstanding and have turned the Cotton Bowl into one of the finest football stadiums in the country.

Jerryworld will be nice, there is no doubt. But it dam sure won't have the college feel that the Cotton Bowl has.

Hook em

24. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

We immediatly noticed how much easier it was to move around inside, use the restrooms, etc. But we were seated way up under the balcony, so we didn't get to see the main improvements until halftime when we walked down low enough to gather the whole thing in. It was a beauful sight. I have been going to the Cotton Bowl since I was a kid and the Cowboys still played there. I have been to maybe 20 TX/ou games, many Cotton Bowl games, too many concerts to remember, religious events, the World Cup. I even had a part as an extra in the movie "Semi-Tough" that was filmed there. So I just swelled up with how grand she looks now and knowing that she will not die a slow death. At least in my lifetime.

25. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

They have made the perfect college football stadium. They put the money where it mattered in expanding the seating, widening the concourses, adding bathrooms. Unlike past years where wading into the endzone concourse was akin to the pilgrimage to Mecca – it was spacious and easy to get around.

Just a great experience. Very impressed.

26. hornsin03

hornsin03 25+ Posts

27. LonghornLawyer

LonghornLawyer 500+ Posts

It really is the perfect college football stadium now. The sightlines are great from just about every seat in the stadium, but there are enough quirks and eccentricities to maintain the sense of history and authenticity. The upper deck is on top of the field--not fifteen stories up separated from the lower deck by three levels of luxury suites. There are plenty of bathrooms. And though you cannot get a beer in the stadium (true of just about all college venues), it probably has the quickest access to outside beer of any college stadium out there.

Damn, I love the Cotton Bowl. The Cotton Bowl Committee is going to EABOD on New Years Day this year when they see what they're leaving behind.

28. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I sat in the upperdeck endzone it was awesome view even from there. The stadium is just beautiful from the inside now that it is bowled around completely. Not sure if they are going to do something more to the exterior. That would make it look nicer on the outside but would cut off air flow too.

Really cool to walk in on the lower concourse and have that wide open view to the field. You could be in line for concessions and still watch the game.