Regret Skipping Vince?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by bravobevo, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Roy4

Roy4 Guest

Names in sports is one of those mysterious things that fits the athlete and the sport.

- Think of any five NASCAR drivers... the perfect names for the sport.

- Run down the list of top players in NBA, NFL... it's the same.

- So you choose up sides for a quarterback...
    "You, yes, you, com over here. We take you... Matt Schaub" ... Shaub the Swab... Robbed with Schaub... Daub.. Swab... Gob... Hob... Blob... Can you see the headlines year in and year out...

The other side takes... Vince. Vincent. Vince Young. VY. Superman.

On name alone, on looks alone, on just the look in a uniform. With nothing but style points... by name, by everything. By voice, speech, manners. You gotta go with Vince. VY. Then he turns in a Rookie of the Year performance and lands in the Pro Bowl.

The biggest nobrainer in the in the history of professional sports... to take Young.
    The biggest bust in the history of professional drafts... NOT taking Vince. And especially for the reasons given.

That organization is going to suffer for years and years and years.

2. HoosierHorn

HoosierHorn 500+ Posts

3. pquote]Names in sports is one of those mysterious things that fits the athlete and the sport.

- Think of any five NASCAR drivers... the perfect names for the sport.

- Run down the list of top players in NBA, NFL... it's the same.

- So you choose up sides for a quarterback...
    "You, yes, you, com over here. We take you... Matt Schaub" ... Shaub the Swab... Robbed with Schaub... Daub.. Swab... Gob... Hob... Blob... Can you see the headlines year in and year out...

The other side takes... Vince. Vincent. Vince Young. VY. Superman.

On name alone, on looks alone, on just the look in a uniform. With nothing but style points... by name, by everything. By voice, speech, manners. You gotta go with Vince. VY. Then he turns in a Rookie of the Year performance and lands in the Pro Bowl.

The biggest nobrainer in the in the history of professional sports... to take Young.
    The biggest bust in the history of professional drafts... NOT taking Vince. And especially for the reasons given.

That organization is going to suffer for years and years and years.

4. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

6. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

What's the obsession with QB rating? David Carr had a fine QB rating last season, so did David Garrard and Jon Kitna amongst others. Vince certainly has room to improve in his passing but what rookie doesn't? Matt Leinart has ideal mechanics and his QB rating was only 6 points higher than VY's, ditto Alex Smith. Mark Brunell's QB rating was #10 in the league yet he still got benched. Yea, it'd be great if VY threw the ball like Drew Brees or Peyton Manning, but he doesn't. He does other things that Brees or Manning couldn't dream of doing though and he's a winner. It's fine to like the Texans but it seems silly to bash Vince's future based on such a useless statistic like QB rating

7. mez2

mez2 100+ Posts

i have a QB rating of 72

f**k that, I want to win. VY wins. end of story (even with his poor mechanics...)

8. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

Here are the stats of a QB (Bernie Kosar) that had a similar side arm or not over the top throwing motion in his career.
    His lifetime rating is over 81.0.

And I don't think Bernie is quite the runner that Vince is either.

NFL Regular season

3,365 passes attempted
    1,994 passes completed
    23,301 passing yards
    124 passing touchdowns
    87 passes intercepted
    81.8 quarterback rating

NFL Post season

269 passes attempted
    151 passes completed
    1,917 passing yards
    16 passing touchdowns
    10 passes intercepted
    85.8 quarterback rating

Your argument about Vince is ridiculous.
    The Texans suck and they blew it.

I am over it and don't care.

The Texans will never get over it.....ever.

9. i'm not bashing vince. i'm a big vince fan - he's a longhorn, afterall.
    what i'm saying is that outside of hornfans vince was not the slam dunk that you all think he was. people questioned whether his mechanics would hinder him. you even pointed out that he got hit crossing the goaline against the texans on the game winning run as evidence of his straight up style.
    also, he throws the ball like i do when i use my left hand and that had some people wondering if he would be an efficient passer, and thus, achieve a respectable passer rating.

10. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

what about his runner rating?

11. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

He was crossing the freaking goal line...he could have been doing the crab walk and his mechanics still wouldn't matter. I remember a quote Mack brought up about Vince's mechanics that the QB is one position where the ONLY thing that matters is the end result. How on earth can you use a play in which Vince scores as evidence of some sort of fault. That's like Hoge pointing out that Vince missed an open WR on that play. Also, pointing out that everybody else are morons isn't really a defense of the Texans, and it especially doesn't work against Longhorns who have been calling all detractors morons from day one.

12. HoosierHorn

HoosierHorn 500+ Posts

this thread, along with the david carr is gone thread have decreased my efficiency rating to something lower than vince young's... this thread is a winner.

14. elguapo

elguapo 250+ Posts

16. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

18. afat

afat 250+ Posts

19. Spankytoes

Spankytoes 100+ Posts

Why do any stats other than Wins and Losses mean anything?

Q: Are the Titans a better team with Vince Young than without him?

A: Yes

That's the end of the discussion. As long as he is helping more than hindering he will be a great QB. Without his heroics, the Titans do not break .500 last year. Texans blew it out of ego. They didn't want to admit that Carr, and not Capers, was responsible for the suckage that is Carr.

20. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

21. elguapo

elguapo 250+ Posts

Who gives a **** about mechanics, VY wins games. He was a ROOKIE last year. He is going to progress in the NFL just as he progressed at UT. VY will dominate the NFL soon.

22. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

23. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Texans were smarter than all of the great unwashed out here... Carr was the guy - Vince was a flash in the pan, couldn't throw and was only a runner, etc....

24. fried pickleaggy (did you see what i did? i took your username and made it have "aggy" in it. it was totally easy.),
    before i get to your personnel analysis, why in the f**k would anyone trade out of the #1 spot to get a #5 "straight up". you would make an excellent gm.
    "say, uh, i'll trade you guys our #23 for y'alls #3"
    "no thanks, we're not interested"
    "oh, but wait, i'm offering this 'straight up'"
    "oh, well in that case"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

25. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

It seems that a Texans fan would know all about improving passer rating... I mean David Carr had an extremely high passer rating.

It was so high he was cut from the team... wait what?... [​IMG]

Just accept that Vince is better than any player on the Texans. Hell if the Texans tried to trade for Vince they would probably have to include half their team and the inevitable top 10 draft picks they will be getting for the next 10 years.

The Texans have absolutely no room to talk until they can match the success Vince had in 1 year. They have had years and years to do what Vince did in 1 season (not even a whole season I might add). They haven't and they are the laughing stock of the entire sports world. Anyone who choses a pro team over a Longhorn is not a Longhorn and deserves to be a fan of such a ****** organization.

26. i'm pretty sure voodoo child just painted himself into a corner...
    yeah, he did.
    i don't choose the texans over vince. i choose both - i'm super smart.
    you see, i can like casey hampton, nathan vasher, corey redding, ricky williams, etc, etc but recognize that it would be pretty stupid/pointless for me to root for every team in the nfl.
    people like you act like there's only one longhorn in the universe.

27. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

28. jaw43

jaw43 25+ Posts

admiral stockdale proves once again to be as brilliant as his namesake

Ok, that was mean. But dude, what the hell? I submit that if Vince changed his throwing motion, he would be the bust that Hoge said he would be. Was his passer rating very good his redshirt freshman year? How much did it improve as a senior? Oh, yeah, he led the nation in your precious stat. Oh wait, he was only 3rd. Dang, he sucked.

VY also holds the record for career pass efficiency rating for UT with a 144.9 mark. In a couple of years, his pro numbers will be solid. Plus he'll have multiple super bowl rings.

The Texans in the super bowl? Hell, I'll be shocked, shocked I say, if they even sniff the playoffs. Enjoy your season tickets to Reliant, admiral.

29. big_fat_horn

big_fat_horn 100+ Posts

If somebody could just work a toaster or a burned up belt buckle into this thread, it would be immedidate "Classics" material...