Reid Fearful of Midterm Election

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by HornHuskerDad, Jun 21, 2014.

1. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Take it for what it's worth - The Link.

We'll see how it shakes out in November, but a GOP takeover of the Senate (while retaining control of the House) would put a damper on the Obama agenda (which many of us think would be a good thing).

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Please let it happen. I give the town of Searchlight, NV, the finger every time I drive through.

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

HHD
    Seeing the Dem members on that House committee try to ridicule the IRS investigation and only make themselves look Pure D Silly and desperate.

4. BurntOrangeOnly

BurntOrangeOnly 500+ Posts

Herr Obama rules by fiat. The House and Senate as well as the Judiciary mean nothing to our dear leader. It won't matter for another two years.

5. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Should they have control of both what would they do if the emporer continues using his pen?

6. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

which part of the gov sets up the special prosecutor for instance in the IRS debacle?

7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

8. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

And the normal guidelines mean nothng to Holder and his pack of criminals.

9. HornHuskerDad

^All too true. I still want to see the GOP take back the Senate and increase control of the House. Obama may still try to govern by Executive Order, but at least he will do so knowing that he is thumbing his nose at the people's elected officials - and maybe public feedback and sentiment will cause him to pause and think.

And it would certainly help draw the battle lines for the general election in 2016.

10. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

11. HornHuskerDad

^Yes, he is, Michtex. And he swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States - which includes checks and balances among the three branches of our government. Obama seems to consider the Constitution an impediment to his agenda, so he ignores the parts he considers inconvenient and governs by Executive Order, picking and choosing which laws to enforce and which to ignore.

12. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

13. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

It seems the Supreme Court did not like the way the Executive Branch was pushing the envelope on recess appointments:
    The Link

Sometimes it is not the number but the content that matters.

14. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

15. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

16. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

17. HornHuskerDad

18. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

19. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

20. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

What is the point of allowing executive orders at all? To speed up the process of "getting things done"? One of the most basic strengths of our style of government is that it moves slowly to avoid rash decisions based on current headlines. Even 200+ years ago, there was the tendency to overreact to what is happening in the now and base changes on too small of a window in time. This was accounted for in creating a deliberately slow process. Things could not be changed unless a majority consistently thought it should be changed and the idea could withstand debate. Now tell me how an executive order fits in with that basic idea.

21. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Interesting reading on executive orders, FYI.
    The Link

I thought this was particularly interesting:

22. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

23. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

OK...short memory it is. From Wikipedia's entry on "signing statements"