Remaining Schedule

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Vol Horn 4 Life, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I just finished looking at the last 12 games on our schedule and it's serious business. The way we've been shooting the ball we could easily finish those twelve games 4-8 or 3-9. That would leave us somewhere around 18-13 or 17-14 probably not making the tourney because of our terrible non conference slate.

Is anyone else seeing this? We need to heat up and beat a few ranked teams.

2. rreading

rreading 100+ Posts

Realistically, if this team doesn’t get better it’s not going far into the tournament. We’re definitely going to find out how good they are by the time March rolls around.

3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Tournament success is almost always predicated on very high level guard play and defense.

We have one of those this year.

4. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I don't think the sky is falling quite as badly as this board insinuates. Yes, we've had some rough games, but so has everyone else in the conference.

I don't think we'd "easily" finish out 4-8, as that would basically be the worst-case scenario. It literally means we'd lose to every team ahead of us in the standings, which isn't realistic given what we've seen from the rest of the conference. So I would replace the word "easily" with "potentially with injuries and no improvement whatsoever," and it's more likely that we're not that bad.

I think we get a couple of splits with some of those teams ahead of us and finish out 6-6. Outside shot at 8-4 if we get rolling and sweep TCU. So the worst I think we finish is 20-11 before the conference tournament, which would be enough on its own to get into the NCAA tournament with probably a 7-seed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Just a minute while I put something down...

[​IMG]

Ok, that's better. Here's my realistic projections.

Break even or so going forward.
    Going forward projected record out front (games not in order)

0-2 - KU - real tough, we'll be lucky to take 1
    1-2 . ISU - tough but overrated, toss-up at home
    2-3 - TT - real good, but a possible split, massive emotion, look for weird bounces of the ball, etc.
    2-5 - BU - real, real good, we'll be lucky to take 1
    4-5 - TCU - so-so - and we get them twice, starting tomorrow
    5-5 - OU - so-so, we win again
    6-5 - WV - so-so, we win again

We make the Big Dance with a middlin' seed and either we catch fire or we don't.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

If we go 5-6 instead of 6-5, are we in the dance? OOC schedule was so bad, I have some doubts. I agree with your forecast, just wondering what people think.

7. HoffHorn

HoffHorn 500+ Posts

This team culture has had ZERO offensive “culture” in over a decade. Wake me from my slumber when we get a LEGITIMATE sharpshooter that can stretch the floor! See AJ Abrams 14 years ago!

Serious Question: Remind me the last time a Longhorn averaged over 17.0 points a game? DJ Augustine 15 years ago?

We will need to go .500 the rest of the way and probably win 1-2 games in the Big12 tournament to get to March Madness otherwise it will be another NIT.

JEEBUS! The offensive WOES are in a word FRUSTRATING!

8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

People shouldn't be worried about SoS. We still have 13 games left against the NET Top-50. For comparison, UH, Duke, and Kentucky all have similar SoS. And we have arguably a tougher road left. Just need to take advantage of some splits with teams like Tech or TCU.

J'Covan Brown was our last to score over 17 ppg. 10 years ago.

While I do believe we'll go .500 the rest of the way, that should be plenty to get in the NCAAs. I honestly believe we get in with 4-8 and one conference tourney win. We might be one of the "Last 4" thrown into the play-ins, but we'd be in.

I don't necessarily buy that we're plagued by offensive woes. I'll agree that it's not the strongest part of our game, but the Big 12 is designed this way. It's like people expect a Penders-style game around here from the Runnin' Horns years, but that's just not what wins any longer. I think our bigger issue is that the old-timers (Ramey and Jones) don't play with any consistency, and since everyone else is new, it's tough to overcome holes. If we had Carr last year, I think we'd be in a better position with the guards/leaders right now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Remember, SOS only matters if you've won agains some of those top ranked teams. If last night was any indication I'm hopeful we can pull out 5 or so more wins.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

And nobody be too surprised if we rise up and take a game from Kansas or Baylor, then drop a game to OU or TCU. Such is this year...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

For sure team has not lived up to talent level so far. If and when it does, KU and BU better watch out. Hopefully, TCU was the start of great things to come.

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

10 regular season games left. 5-5 would be good for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

TCU just beat #19 LSU, so they’re not chopped liver (with or without onions).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Vol Horn 4 Life

Here we are with four games left. I think we probably go 2-2 to finish the season but honestly I can't predict which two games we will win. In my opinion we could win or lose any of them. Most current bracketology has Texas as a 4 seed which seems high to me but I could see us from 4 to 6 depending on these games and the Big XII tourney.

TCU
    @WVU
    Baylor
    @Kansas

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Last time we won a ncaa tourney game?

16. ronich

ronich 100+ Posts

Without Tre I predict:

TCU - win
    @WVU - close loss
    Baylor - blowout loss
    @Kansas - blowout loss

We finish 20-11 4th seed in BIG12 Tourney

Win 1 game and lose a close second in Tourney

Go into NCAAs as a dreaded 5 seed

Win 2 in NCAAs making it to S16

With Tre maybe a little better, but with one Big and no offense it will be tough to win the B12 or the NCAAs

all in all a MUCH better year than we would have gotten under Shaka

• Hot Hot x 1