Remember canned BBQ beef?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Idahorn2, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

I recall a canned BBQ, maybe called "Ireland" for a brand name, in the early '60's and up through '70 or so. May still be on the market, though I cannot imagine why. The brand name is a bald guess, and likely wrong.

I was introduced to this by a friend's Mom who would heat it up for us and then plop a sunny side egg on the top. I always passed on the egg, but have to admit I did eat the stuff. It is amazing what a hungry 14 year-old boy (redundant?) will eat. I will say I have had stuff that purported to be 'Q that was even worse.

The label on the can was a dark green and the brown meat even resembled very thinly sliced brisket; perhaps a hint of a smoke ring. It was packed in a watery fluid that no one would call sauce since it had almost no flavor. The meat had a very faint suggestion of underseasoned BBQ taste.

I do not recall seeing it in any of the grocery stores in Texas in the times we have visited since '74. If I do see it, I might buy it, but only for nostalgia.

2. 12thStudStan

12thStudStan 250+ Posts

I think I remember that. Did it have a photo of a dog on the label?

Just kidding, but to one up you I remember eating some tamales back in the late 70's that were wrapped in paper husks and came packed in a clear glass jar filled with grease. I don't guess those are still around either.

3. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Within the last 10 years, there was one called Kelly's(IIRC), and I remember it having a shamrock and/or a leprechaun on the can. That's probably the brand you're talking about. Definitely and Irish theme.

A friend bought a can of it at Dollar General(or some local dollar store). That's the only time I have ever seen it.

4. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

5. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

Ellis brand tamales are good any time except when you are craving tamales.

6. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Yep, I fondly remember Ireland's. It was a staple in my mom's pantry.

7. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

you can get canned tamales in any grocery store i am pretty sure

8. shorty

shorty 250+ Posts

My mother served Ireland Barbecue many times when I was a child. It did come in a can with a dark green label. It was fair for a canned meat product in that it was better than Spam. It was not sweet but had more of a vinegary flavor to it.

Moher served it over hot toast.

9. Brubricker

Brubricker 250+ Posts

If you can't find it there's always potted meat food product. (my brother actually likes that stuff)

10. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Ireland's did not equate to potted meat at all. I was decent. If you don't know or are not old enough to remember, for depression age parents just getting to eat was great. I would think the spam and potted meat would kill them, but my 86 year old mother will probably outlive me...They were our toughest generation.

11. shorty

shorty 250+ Posts

12. I've used to love eating canned Gephardts brand tamales since my childhood, mid 1960's. Growing up in San Antonio, most of my family thought I was crazy but I really liked them. I wouldn't really call them tamales but I really enjoyed the taste. Someone else must have liked them because they had been on the market for at least 50 years.

Anyway, I've lived many places in my life and always found them until about two years ago. I drove from New Mexico to San Antonio a couple of months ago and stopped at around 10 grocery stores on the way but I had no luck finding them. Does anyone know the brand and have you seen them anywhere?

13. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

I can get Gebhardt's spices here. My local grocer has been able to get just about everything I have asked him for. Next time I am in there I will ask about them.

I bet we can find a way to get you some if they still make them.

The Hometown Favorites shows they have Derby Tamales in a jar. The only place I was able to Gebhardts was to special order them through RalphsThe Link

14. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd 100+ Posts

I used to eat a kind of corned beef hash that was made of that stuff, boiled potatoes and ketchup.

15. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

Kelly's BBQ in a tub can't be much better than BBQ in a can.

16. judgroybeanbag

judgroybeanbag 500+ Posts

They used to have a recipe for a sandwich where you grill a bun, put two tamales on it, add a fried egg and some chili and cheese.

17. Thanks Sooner. I just place an order at Ralph's. $58 for 12 cans (28oz) which I think are the jumbo cans. I little steep but the order will satisfy my canned tamale cravings for about a year.

[​IMG]

18. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

You bet, anytime. I'll still check with my grocer. Maybe he can get them cheaper.

19. shorty

shorty 250+ Posts

Albertsons in North Texas has the Derby tamales in a glass jar.