Remembering Academy Surplus

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by VYFan, Sep 2, 2011.

1. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

My kids wonder why I sometimes call Academy "Academy Surplus."
    Back in the day, Academy Surplus on I-35 had rows and rows of interesting junk falling out of bins and into the narrow aisles. No telling what you might come out of there with.
    Googling around, I found this picture from 1973, when they were building the upper deck on the "Interstate" as we called it.
    [​IMG]
    I like the price of gas at 26.9/gallon.
    Anyone else remember this place?

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Remember it well. Bought camping gear there (tent, Coleman stove, etc) while I was at UT in late 80s for our excursions down the road to New Braunfels—we camped regularly on River Road. I always liked Academy. It was a little ‘raw’ for lack of a better word, not a slick retail experience but it wasn’t trying to be fancy. That was part of its overall charm, I think.

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I love pictures like what you posted above. Thanks. I was not in Austin then, not even born, but I still like them.

4. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Awesome. So it looks like that gas station is right where the Sears Automotive Repair Shop is today.

5. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

That gas station is Sears. The Sears at Hancock Center used to sell gasoline.

6. 7out

7out 100+ Posts

Great pic, I remember it well.

7. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

Oh man, I grew up walking distance to the original Academy.

They had all that great stuff in the store, I remember buying all sorts of different unit and army patches for like a nickel each.

One thing I remember was the racks of M-1 rifles they had for sale pretty cheap. I always kinda wish I had bought one.

Also, they used to stack military surplus stuff behind the store. Easy pickings (shame on us, right? [​IMG] ). My friends and I all had the greatest stock of "army stuff" (packs, web belts, canteens, helmets, ammo boxes, shovels, etc) when we were kids.

8. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Dang loop, I figgered you were older than that. In '80 I was buying fierce looking shirts discarded by the TYC guards there as well as machetes for cutting "boo" for the inane frat party crap.

We still have quite a few military surplus stores in SA, but...Academy will always have my heart.

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

10. Brak

Brak 500+ Posts

11. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Didn't the original Golfsmith used to be over there too, before they built the huge complex at I-35/Braker?

I never went to that Academy, but we always went to the one on Burnet Road (near the old Putt-Putt) that had those really steep ramps going up to the second floor. That building is now a shopping center.

12. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

Actually, they're all "Interstates"; we used to call that one "Interregional."

13. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

You are so right, PMG, that is what my parents would call it. In fact, according to Wikipedia--(oh well)-- "In Austin, Interstate 35 is named Interregional Highway." Never really knew that. I notice that lots of Austin businesses on I-35 do list their addresses that way.

14. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

"Fishing poles, BB guns, socks, tents, rain gear, sleeping bags, rifles and knives" and on and on. Also: "Closed Saturday so we can be open Sunday."

15. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

Also "golf clubs and balls." The kid that did that ad must be in his 30s by now.

16. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

Ran across an old piece of camping gear in my garage the other day with an "Academy Surplus" price tag on the box. It was a great place and everyone I know who camps, fishes, or hunts remembers the original store fondly.

17. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

They've become bright, antiseptic, soulless barns now.

18. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

"the one on Burnet Road (near the old Putt-Putt) that had those really steep ramps going up to the second floor"

Those ramps were cool. The downstairs always seemed overcrowsed and stuffed with clothing. Was there stuff hanging from the ceiling, canoes?

"Fishing poles, BB guns, socks, tents, rain gear, sleeping bags, rifles and knives"

I think I remember this. Did they also say "all kinds of knives"?

Academy is doing quite well up on Research. I can rely on their prices and inventory better than any of the other sports stores in Austin.

19. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

I think that's right: "All kinds of knives."

20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Brings back memories! I used to go to Academy Surplus frequently in the 70s. That pic also is how I remember Austin when I first moved here to go to UT.

21. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

A friend of mine was friends with the red haired kid in the commercials. I think the commercials went something like "That's right, Dave". I think Dave was related to the owners whose family name was Gochman. It has been a long time though so my memory could be off.

22. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

So was there any connection between Academy Surplus and today's Academy store?

23. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

24. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

Cool.

Thanks.

25. texasbig12champs

texasbig12champs 25+ Posts

funny story. i worked there during college and Mack came in during the start of his first year at Texas. walked up to my register with 200$ in fishing stuff and handed me his credit card. Declined. said he would be back later to get the stuff but never saw him again.
    Guess that was before his 5 million $ contracts hit :0)

Sad when that place closed down. the one on burnet too. and the tom thumb on burnet...ah the good ole days.

26. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Nobody saw what the price of gas was?

27. LongJohn

LongJohn 100+ Posts

If you like old Austin photos check out this link...this is where the photo came from that started this thread.

Historic Austin

28. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

Photo is proof that Austin has always been about building roads it should have built 20 years ago.

29. Not that Bob

Not that Bob 500+ Posts

I do believe the "original" was on Congress Ave.

30. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

I grew up in Austin, so I remember it well. I read somewhere that only in Austin is 35 referred to as IH35 - because, if I remember correctly, that stood for Interregional Highway 35.