Renter's Insurance

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Stuck_At_Work, Nov 12, 2009.

  1. Stuck_At_Work

    Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

    I am renting out my townhouse. I have a leasing agreement template, but I noticed it does not have a clause requiring the tenant to have renter's insurance. I would like to require this. Any idea how I should word this in the leasing agreement?
  2. HornBud

    HornBud 2,500+ Posts

    Not sure if you can require it.

    You do need to check with your insurance to make sure that you are covered in the event that they set fire to the place.
  3. apd183

    apd183 100+ Posts

    I can't speak to if you can require it, but from my apartment lease, a TAA standard lease contract:
    Our insurance does not cover your personal property. We urge you to get insurance for losses due to theft, fire, water damage, and the like. You intend to [check one]:
    _ not buy insurance to protect against such losses, or
    _ buy insurance from your own agent to cover such losses.
    If neither is checked, you acknowledge that you will not have insurance coverage.
  4. Stuck_At_Work

    Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

    Thanks, I'll include that language at the very least!

Share This Page