Reparations----a swell idea whose time has come

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by huisache, Apr 7, 2019.

1. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

i think this is a boat the Dem candidates are floating that could carry President Bone Spurs to a second term. To be fair, some of them are saying they support having a committee to study how best to do it, which would guarantee it won't happen but just discussing it and throwing the Pity Party would alienate enough people to send The Thing back for another term.

This kind of blindness by Progressive Social Democrat Justice Warriors is how Nixon got two terms.

I don't know how much the GOP is paying Sharpton and Ocasio-Cortez but they are sure getting their money's worth

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Im all for reparations for slavery. Any freed slaves should absolutely be compensated. Need to expedite this bill since many of them are pushing 200.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

I thought they all got a few acres and a mule. More than the government ever gave me or my family.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

I shall pay every person of color in the US 100,000 Schrute bucks.
    That should do it.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

This issue is coming up because Democrats know that black enthusiasm for their party is softening. It's the new issue to stiffen their partisanship and motivate them to turnout rather than stay home like they did in 2016.

Of course, the issue is ridiculously divisive and obviously turns off pretty much every free thinking non-SJW, so once the nomination is secured, it'll get very little broad attention. The nominee will do everything he can to avoid talking about it. Instead, surrogates for the Democratic nominee will pitch it in front of black audiences, which of course, the media will largely avoid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

That explains why this is being talked about all over again.

If the Republicans were smart, which they aren't, they would speak out against reparations and tailor their message to Hispanics, Asians, Indians, and new immigrants, saying that all of them will be paying extra taxes to fund the reparations along with whites.

7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

My guess is that they're hoping the Democrats set themselves on fire about it before they have to take a firm position. Would it help them with Hispanics? Maybe. Obviously they don't win in the equation. Asians? Hard to say. Asians vote wildly against their economic interests by backing Democrats, so it's hard to figure out their motives. If affirmative action doesn't make the Democrats repel Asians, I'm not sure what would. They must be very socially liberal.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I hear it’s very popular in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan. /snark

9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Well, I think Democrats are hoping it'll be popular in black areas of Milwaukee, Detroit, Flint, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh and that it'll be ignored in white areas.

10. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

The strategy may work in some areas, but my suspicion is that the only people who are really going to be excited about reparations are the ones that are already engaged and angry, i.e. the SJW progressive black churches. It's not as if reparations are some new idea, so I'm doubtful that it's going to move the needle too much with blacks who were not already entrenched.

The people drifting from the fold are ones who have been disenchanted with the party direction either morally (too much craziness), socially (nothing's changing), or economically (a lot's changing for the good, and the dems don't seem happy about it.) They have a chance to re-engage a percentage of the social defectors, but I'm not sure how many of them will be on board without an actual black presidential candidate at the lead. The Democrat party may end up being a victim of its own intersectional strategy - "how can you claim to want to help us when you keep trying to elect white and hispanic people and don't care about electing a black person?" (Again, that's through the intersectional SJW lens... the fact that ANYONE other than an African-American is being considered is grounds for anger.)

11. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Texas Tech is dropping Affirmative Action for admission to the Medical School. I hope this catches on to the other schools. I think it’s one of the worst legislations ever. As long as the Government are putting us in categories by race, there will be resentment and division between races.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Candace Owens brings the boom! to the Dems who are ginning up racial issues, such as reparations, as prep for the 2020 POTUS election. She rocks. Plus she's hot, which never hurts:

[/url]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  13. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

WOW, you go girl. How did she get invited and I wish that could get National exposure. Right on!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

What if we pay one time reparations and in exchange cut off all entitlements and shut down all public housing except for the elderly and medically diagnosed mental or physical issues preventing someone from working? Might be a huge investment up front, but in the long run we could save unlimited amounts of money.

15. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Current wealth redistribution programs will never be removed. They will continue even if reparations happened.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I know my idea will never happen. I was kind of being a smart *** because no takers will ever give up a free money train stream.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

Candace Owen's comments set a twitter record for being viewed in a 24 hour period. I don't know if most people were positive or negative to her speech, but I loved it.
    She said what I have always thought. The more we act like all black people are poor, need help, are victims, the less incentive there is to try and be successful. The Dems offer victim hood and freebies in order to garner minority votes.

Why did it take only one generation for the Vietnamese people that came here with nothing, received little help from the US, to become successful members of our society?
    We need to get Ms. Owens more involved in the Republican party in some way.
    A woman like her, I could see as President one day.
    If you haven't watched the entire exchange, (it includes a guy playing a portion of her talking about Hitler that paints her in a bad light, but he spliced her comments and left things out) watch it. She is calm, cool, collected, and puts them in their place in an appropriate way.
    I loved the stank face of the black people sitting near her, or shown while she was talking. heh

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They haven't spent several generations being told by the education system, the popular culture, the media, and a major political party that they live in a country that hates them and wants to deny them opportunity at every turn. There are other factors as well. Obviously the Vietnamese haven't destroyed their family structure either, and that's huge.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Can we count all the welfare expended to date as reparations?

• Like Like x 1
  20. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

We’ve paid them much more in welfare than reparations. Should we get a partial refund for all the years they’ve receive free money? Like 50%..... and that’s being generous.

21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

The SJW are getting too clever. Now the plan is to have companies who are still around that "benefited" from slavery back then to pay.
    Big bad companies can afford it and deserve to pay.

Will enough blacks buy into owed reparations versus the number who are benefiting from record employment and higher wages.?
    Have the Dems broken down enough blacks that want to stay on the welfare plantation?
    We forget that before LBJ intact black families were the large majority of black households.

• Like Like x 1
  22. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Horn 6721:you also seem to forget that the deterioration of the black family began before LBJ tried to ameliorate the situation with the Great Society programs. Read Daniel Patrick Moynihan's report on the black family to Nixon. He compared the disintegration in the black family to the situations with whites and hispanics and the blacks were doing worse. This, he worried, was going to lead to bad results if something was not done.

If you look at the comparable stats now you will see that the black families continue to disintegrate but so do the hispanics and anglos. As best as I recall the anglos now have a rate of illegitimate births greater than what the blacks had when Moynihan wrote his report back in the late '60s

This does not detract from your argument that black family collapse makes things worse, it just adds context and suggests that the family collapse is societal at large and the product of factors other than just race or ethnicity.

23. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Thanks Huis
    I will find and read that report.
    I do not mean to suggest the demise of the family unit with blacks is racial. It was orchestrated for a result.

24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Not always easy to find. Link.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    Thanks

26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Anybody care to correlate it to the rise of people who do not identify as Christian (or other traditional religion)? Or is that too easy and too uncomfortable for folks to look at?

27. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Sangre, I am only speculating but I would not be surprised to see 2 main factors in the break down of families. First, ever increasing government involvement in the family. The government is taking over the role of the father. The biggest issue with families is lack of fathers and lack of mature men ready to be fathers. Second, the dwindling influence of the church. The morality of our country is on the decline. I think factor 1 also plays a role in factor 2. But there are many other factors.

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Students at Georgetown voted for a tuition increase to use as reparations for descendants of slaves sold by Georgetown in 1838.
    Georgetown Students Agree to Create Reparations Fund

just read the numbers. 2541 voted for reparations, 1304 voted no
    there are over 19,000 students there.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  29. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I'd transfer.

30. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I am 71 and have been grappling with these issues ever since they took down the Whites Only signs in my rural Texas home town. The Moynihan report was controversial when it came out (he was accused of racism but that is no surprise) but seems vanilla now.

My own thoughts have fluctuated. A few years ago I looked at the comparative rates for children out of wedlock by ethnicity and came to the preliminary conclusion that the entire society is collapsing. I'm sticking with that until someone convinces me otherwise.

Factors: Lots of them. For example, among blacks a whole lot of their middle class got cleaned out when segregation ended: why go to a run down grocery store when you can get waited on anywhere? Or work anywhere? Why go to a department store that has cut rate goods of limited choice when you can go to Macy's or Dillards? They started going to the white owned restaurants etc and most of the black ones died. Their owners became employees.

When they could rent anywhere they could afford the ones who could moved to the areas with real schools and left behind the ones who could not afford to do so.

The sexual revolution started in the 20s and geared up during WW II, when the Greatest Generation started divorcing and cheating and just fooling around in huge numbers among all ethnicities and that led to more divorces and eventually to the creation of no fault divorce which ramped it all up.

The use of governmental entities to play mom or dad did not cause the collapse of the family, rather it was a product of it and now a contributor.

The collapse of religious belief is a factor. I went to a mass last weekend and maybe 2% of the congregation was 20 or younger. At least 50% was 60 or older. I wasn't even close to the oldest. The churches are dying and only the fringe ones are even holding their own. Why? The sciences have been rolling over received wisdom for over a century, the christian churches are not geared to a hedonist society and nobody much is into asceticism any more. And then there are the sex scandals. And mass entertainment.

Anyway, there are a lot of factors and my reading of the bird entrails tell me the nation I grew up in and imagined would last longer than Rome is circling the drain.

I would be happy to hear a compelling argument to the contrary

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019