replacement coach speculation

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Apr 19, 2015.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

There has been a number of potential coaching replacements for Coach Mitchell since she took the N Tx job.

Unless the job has been posted and closed since she left on April 9, I have not seen the job posted either in the NCAA job postings nor in the UT system. I think it does have to be posted but could be wrong about that requirement. Realistically, there are at least several people on the current staff that could move into the coaching position if Coach Aston wanted to go in that direction: Angela Ortega who has previous coaching experience; Erin Floyd who has only student coaching experience but played under Coach Aston in Charlotte; and of course, Fran Harris, who also has one year of graduate coaching experience but has WNBA experience and was the MVP of UT's 0985-86 National Championship team.

Others mentioned are: Stacy Stephens; Heather Schreiber; Jamie Carey; Tai Dilliard; Rekha Patterson; Clarissa Davis; Trisha Stafford-Odom; Edwina Brown.

Stacy, Jamie, Tai and Edwina are currently assistants on college staffs. Jalie was responsible for, maybe not solely responsible, but certainly her focus in practice was working with the posts. So it remains to be seen whether a post oriented coach is hired or one that can work with all positions. Certainly will have to be an outstanding recruiter as Coach Mitchell was.

Heather seems quite comfortable as a high school head coach. Not sure she is willing to give that up with all the time requirement the college job comes with. BTW, she had a pretty good PG playing for her in 2014. http://www.timesrecordnews.com/sports/newberry-windthorst-freshman-has-skills_93599248

• Like Like x 1
  2. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I saw this posted a day or two after Jalie Mitchell left. It was still posted as of a few minutes ago.

https://utdirect.utexas.edu/apps/hr/jobs/nlogon/150409010807

• Like Like x 2
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

thanks, DFW-Horn,
    I looked at the NCAA coaching jobs list and at the UT job posting and couldn't find it.

5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Glad I could help - whatever requirement there is regarding time open should have been met by now. I check it and Coach Aston's Twitter every other day for an announcement. I would be surprised if the position wasn't filled by the end of this coming week.

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think jobs have to be posted for 21 days before they are filled. We should be coming up on that next week.

7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Doesn't seem like they followed those guidelines for the men's team, definitely not for Shaka Smart.

8. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Most programs use this as a work around because on the official books Shaka and staff were listed as "paid volunteers" and the job remained posted. Everyone does this as most states have a similar rule around state jobs.

9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Thank you for the explanation. Not quite shady but firmly in the shifty range.:smokin:

10. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I had heard Heather had some issues with UT after graduating. Anyone who also heard that? Hope not but there was a lot of speculation going on as Texas began its slow decline in that period immediately following the last Final Four appearance or as I like to call it - The Age of Tiffany

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I sure hope Heather didn't have any problems with the program. She and Kala Bowers were two of my favorites when they played.

12. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Two of my favs too but at one time I had heard she was hesitant to send recruits our way. Probably acient history at this point

13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Annissa Hastings, head coach at SA Stevens, is another dynamic personality who I don't recall having any of her players ending up at Texas. Easy to see her coaching at Texas. Pure speculation in the face of no news. Gotta admit Coach Aston knows how to keep the lid on potential candidates.

14. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

My sense was that Heather, in particular, did not have the same joy and energy on the floor in her senior season. Never personally heard any indication as to why. Still really liked that group of young ladies.

"The Age of Tiffany" -- I get it. Truth in humor.

15. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Annissa would be a great hire, but would she leave a very successful high school program. Also an assistant coach in college spends an incredible amount of time on the road recruiting, and she has a young child. I know it's all speculation, but there's no question she would be a great hire.

16. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I hadn't thought about Annissa, but agree, she would be great to have on the sidelines.

17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I guess we should expect an announcement soon - UT job listing has gone from Job Status "Open" to "Closed." Nothing on Twitter yet.

18. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

Coach Aston said On twitter about 5 minutes ago that they gained a HUGE member of the family. Hook em" First post!

• Like Like x 1
  19. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

New assistant coach or commitment from a recruit? We should know soon.

20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

As in "tall"? highly ranked? or a new coach? The timeline is right to announce the hiring.

21. "Anna hook em"

Said GREAT day! Gained a HUGE member of the family LetsRide Horns up. I say a new Coach but thats my speculation .

22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

If it was a coach, why not use the name? Not saying it's a recruit but that would definitely explain not naming someone specific.

23. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Seems like she's excited. I'm incredibly impatient. Let's all back channel haha

• Like Like x 1
  24. "Anna hook em"

Maybe to wait for the Coach to tell him/her boss?

25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I would hope his/her boss would be aware but I see your point, possibly the team too.

26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

It's been 3 weeks since Jalie was hired by UNT. Would have thought a replacement would have been hired by now.

In the past, #LetsRide has been Coach A's way of tweeting a new verbal commitment.

Either way, sounds like good news.

• Like Like x 1
  27. "Anna hook em"

I guess we are still playing the waiting game on a new assistant coach, starts to hmmmm the jeopardy song.

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I sure hope the tweet was about a recruit. JUCO PF Evelyn Akhator definitely adds immediate help for 2015-16.

29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

With this long of a delay since the tweet and no coach announcement, have to believe it was about a recruit. The truly frustrating thing is, while Coach Aston can't make any specific references about who it is, you'd think something could be found somewhere on the web. I've checked every day and nothing. Let's hope silent commits haven't made their way into women's basketball (unless it's Holmes, Akhator or Aiyeotan).

• Like Like x 1
  30. "Anna hook em"

They had a team end of the year lunch and i didnt see anyone that didnt look familiar but i also didnt see 2 players so i hope everything is okay.