Replacing chain-link fence

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by denchen, Mar 18, 2007.

1. denchen

denchen 100+ Posts

I'm thinking of replacing our existing chain-link fence with a wood privacy fence. There may be an obvious answer to this, but what is the best way to get rid of the chain-link parts after I take it down? I'm assuming I'd need to have it hauled away (do it myself or pay someone) and dumped somewhere? Can anyone give me an idea of the simplest, most economical (economical over simple, if it comes down to that) way to do this? Thanks. I love this board, by the way.

2. rhg84

rhg84 250+ Posts

Someone who collects scrap metal might just come by and pick it up. Posting on craigslist might be a good place to find someone who does that.

3. 7Titles

7Titles 500+ Posts

Dealing with the poles with concrete will be a major pita.

4. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

I second craigslist. You'd be surprised the stuff people want to take off your hands.

5. denchen

denchen 100+ Posts

thanks so far. as for dealing with the poles, i had an idea to leave the poles and attach the wood poles for the fence to the metal stakes already there. that way, i wouldn't have to dig out the concrete/metal ones. of course, i've never put up a fence before, so i could be out to lunch. does anyone think this will work?

6. EEE

EEE 250+ Posts

The existing poles may be a smaller diameter than that needed to support a heavier fence, such as wood. Make sure they are sturdy enough.

7. planoex

planoex 25+ Posts

[​IMG] I install fences in the Dallas area if you need an estimate.
    My crews have to go to the dump after they tear down a fence, however I suppose someone might want the metal possibly.
    The posts for a chain link can NOT be used for a wood fence. not compatible.
    DS

8. spidey69

spidey69 100+ Posts

Craigs list everything if it is in good condition. People can and will make use of it.

A sledgehammer will take the concrete off the metal blows in a couple of blows. I was able to reuse several 4x4's from a fence down while rebuilding my own.

9. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

10. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

Craigslist is definitely the way to go. I can pretty much guarantee that your fence will be gone within an hour assuming that you don't live in the boonies. State in your ad that the person has to take ALL of the fence.

Your chain link fence posts are worthless for a wood fence. The easiest thing to do would be to cut them off slightly below ground level and start from scratch. Digging the posts out is the best option, but they extra work may not be worth it to you.

11. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

to clarify my post, Luke Duke and I gave the same advice

when I said my wood posts were "situated" around the concrete, I meant that the wood posts were simply dug into the ground next to the concrete, not that the concrete was used along with the wood posts.

12. AuburnTexas

AuburnTexas 100+ Posts

Pile all of it by the front sidewalk and put a big sign on it that says "FOR SALE $100" and it will be stolen during the night.

13. AUinAustin

AUinAustin 250+ Posts

Well I am curious about the use of steel posts for wood fences. I looked at my back yard fence which was built by the builder. The outside is on the main street into the neighborhood so they aren't going to do anything to make the neighborhood look sloppy. Every post with the exception of the brick end posts is a steel pole like a chain link fence would use. Granted they are a foot higher but I am curious why he couldn't extend his existing posts a foot or so and save a lot of time. The best reason I could see is if the distance isn;t correct.

14. EEE

EEE 250+ Posts

Steel poles for a wood fence will be thicker diameter and heavier gauge steel. A wood fence using poles made for your average chain fence would start to sag or fall down if big wind hit it.