Replacing Ignition Switch

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by po elvis, Mar 27, 2007.

1. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

From what I have read, this looks pretty easy to do. I am gonna give it a try. Disconnect the battery, unplug a couple of doohickies, unscrew the thing off of the back of the ignition. I can probably handle that.

But one question....

Does this change anything with the keys? Do I have to get them reprogrammed?

2. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I wasn't aware you could change the ignition switch without pulling the steering wheel. I've done it a few times on various american made vehicles and it isn't difficult at all, but I bought a steering wheel puller. The new ignition cylinders came with new keys.

We might be thinking of different things.

3. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

I am not car-savvy, so I am not sure what "pulling" the steering wheel means.

By the looks of it, I thought I could unscrew the panel right beneath the ignition to get to the switch.

I don't think I want to change my ignition cylinder???

I was thinking that this thing attached to the back of that.....

[​IMG]

4. EEE

EEE 250+ Posts

That's just the switch that attatches to the back of the lock cylinder, so no need to replace the keys. Pulling the wheel means literally removing it. Depending on the car, you should not have to do that. I recently replaced the switch on my Audi, and the repair manual said to pull the wheel, but I found alternative instructions on the web that made that unecessary. I did however have to pull the instrument cluster and finesse it around the steering wheel, making it about a one hour job for me. Chances are that your car will be a much simpler job.

What make/model car? Is it a Honda? I ask because the link to the photo goes to a Honda page.

5. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

yeah it is a Honda Accord.

there was a recall for the ignition switch, but my VIN number was not included for some reason.

my car does exactly what they say their faulty ignition switch causes it to do. the engine shuts off with no warning. i can be driving 70 down the freeway and it just shuts off. it does this maybe every third time i drive the car.

but i am always able to restart it right away after pulling over and then i can drive it for several miles before happening again.

6. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

No, it doesn't do anything to the lock cylinder, the metal part you put the key into. You just remove the lower steering column cover, and the key may need to be turned to on (battery disconnected) then you find the little screw that attaches it to the cylinder, and it comes out.
    The electrical part of the switch is inside that plastic housing, and eventually the plastic cracks, or the metal contacts inside get worn down where they don't always touch.
    You can test it by a slight wiggle of the key-if the warning lights come on, or if the car tries to cut out and die, you will be needing a switch soon.
    Now if you have a security chip in your key-the main computer may have to be reprogrammed to get the car to start after this is done. Not as simple an operation.
    Oh, yeah, on some models there are two bolts called "shear bolts" that you have to drill the heads off of to remove the switch. Or some have "torx" bolts that require a special socket to remove to make it harder for thieves.
    Also, if you have an airbag in the steering wheel, wait at least five minutes after you disconnect the battery, and try not to bump anything too hard, lest you explode the airbag, an unpleasant and costly mistake. Don't pinch, cut mash, or molest any yellow wires under there-they go to the airbag system.

7. spidey69

spidey69 100+ Posts

Interesting. I had an Accord back in '98 that had the same problem. Not a bad job. It looked like the contacts were worn down as decribed above. You might want to look at getting the part from a junk yard depending on the age of your vehicle. I remember a new Honda part was 4x to 5x the used part and I was only looking for another year out of the car.

8. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

thanks for the tips guys (yeah i made this thread hoping accuratehorn would chime in, i admit it [​IMG] )

i didn't think about the airbag. i will definitely watch out for that. that sounds like that would be a painful screwup.

i already bought the part online for $60, plus i am too lazy to go to a junkyard.

9. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

That's not a part I would recommend buying used. Some things are fine, but an electrical part that fails relatively often-not a good risk-the used one in an older car might have the same problem. But the risk might be worth it for you if you are on a tight budget.

10. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

quick question....

i am disconnecting the battery right now to replace the switch.

i got the negative cable off fine. i found a wrench that would fit. the positive cable has a nut that is smaller and i don't have a wrench that will work.

do i need to disconnect both or just the negative cable?

11. EEE

EEE 250+ Posts

Just the negative cable.

12. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

ok, i'm done.

bought the part on Tuesday night from autopartswarehouse.com for $62, free shipping. they shipped it yesterday (from Dallas area fortunately) and it arrived today.

it had a Honda Genuine Parts sticker on it.

The main problem was figuring out how to move the black plastic case that the switch sits in enough to get the old one out.

I still don't know how to. I said screw it and cracked the case a little so i had the room to pull it out. It looked exactly like my new part which is a good sign.

It took about 10 minutes to put the new one on after getting the old one out.

It starts great, but it did before. It will take me a few days to know for sure if this solves my stalling problem.

First time i have done something like this on a car. I feel like a man.

Thanks guys.