Restaurant suggestions?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by bigg78, Nov 24, 2008.

1. bigg78

bigg78 25+ Posts

Need some help from those living in Austin or familiar with the Austin restaurant scene. I go back to Austin every once in awhile for work, but I can't keep up with all of the new places.

My wife and I are coming back to Austin for a week to celebrate my 30th and NYE. We'd like to have an early dinner with our friends on Dec 31st before hitting up a place to ring in the New Years. Any suggestions? Here's my criteria for the restaurant:

- unique to Austin (or Texas): no big chains and would prefer food to have a Southwestern or "Texas" influence.
    - reasonable price range (most entrees in the $14-$25 range)
    - able to make reservation for group of 16ish

Some of the places I know of because I've eaten there many times: Moonshine, Z-Tejas, Roaring Fork, Ranch 616, Belmont. I am wondering if anyone has a new suggestions?

2. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

Austin Land and Cattle.

The entrees can be a bit more than you stated but they include a side so it may even out. The entrees range from about $17 - $42.

Owners are great people, service is good, and the food is great.

3. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Not exactly Texas/Southwestern, but I love Sampaio's. It is Brasilian.

4. bigg78

bigg78 25+ Posts

TheU....great recommendation. I've never heard of Sampaio's but it looks awesome. Even if we don't go on NYE, I might take the wife there another night.

As for Austin Land & Cattle...I've been there before and agree its great.

5. HornMafia

HornMafia 100+ Posts

Roaring Fork.

6. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

7. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

I know its kind of a chain, but Taverna on 2nd & Lavaca hired a new Executive Chef, and he has been given a lot of latitude in customizing the menu.

He's a done a great job of improving the quality of food and offerings there, and would recommend it.

8. foxyhorn

foxyhorn 100+ Posts

Ranch 616

9. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

sometimes I wonder if people even read the original post

Lambert's is my recommendation. I would suggest getting a reservation now. I assume you will be heading out downtown after, and this is within walking distance of all the areas to go out.

10. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

11. unpaintedhuffhines

did anyone read the part of the original post that stated he wanted a new suggestion, and that he's already aware of Ranch 616?

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

You cannot go wrong with Ranch 614, next door to Ranch 616.

13. unpaintedhuffhines

see, a new suggestion!

14. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

OK...sorry. Missed the 616 ref in the first post.

Although 16 would probably be too large a group, you should look at Olivia on South Lamar if you are down to 8 or 10.

Not exactly "Southwest" but very unique, and very good.

15. unpaintedhuffhines

Olivia is a very cool spot

16. bigg78

bigg78 25+ Posts

I appreciate everyone's suggestions....I've come away with 2 new great ideas for dining on a night other than NYE (Olivia's and Sampaio's). I've been to Lamberts for a work function and thought it was okay. If you are craving BBQ downtown, it's a decent choice, I guess. IMO, it's pricey and the food is average. I plan on eating plenty of BBQ the week I am there and it'll probably be outside Austin city limits.

In case anyone was wondering, we did settle on Moonshine. They had no problems with a reso for 18, will have the full menu available NYE (and not a prix fixe), and is dependable (yet unique) for everyone in our party (budget and taste.)