Restaurants and Bars you liked that closed down

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Chop, May 15, 2019.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life 5,000+ Posts

I believe October. Another Austin iconic location gone for the sake of a high rise. It's kind of depressing seeing Austin lose what made it so cool. Austin isn't Austin anymore.....it's southern San Francisco.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 1,000+ Posts

An Eyebeam cartoon from 1983 ... even more appropriate now
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. Chop

Chop 2,500+ Posts

Huts' demise is a shame. My go-to burger joints while at UT were Huts, GM Steakhouse, Players, and Buster's Beefery.

Huts--good burgers & fries and cool atmosphere

GM Steakhouse--great burgers and shakes; humorous intentionally rude staff

Players--pretty good burgers, great nachos/fries/wings, and sports on the tv

Buster's Beefery--pretty good burgers, very convenient (in the Dobie), next door to a pinball/video game place. Grab a burger after classes, drop a few quarters on pinball, then hit the books for a few hours at the PCL.

None of them exist today (although I hear a "Players" has opened--not sure if it's the same place)

4. BallsofSteerToo

BallsofSteerToo 100+ Posts

I don't know who owned Huts and why they wouldn't try to find another location. I thought their burgers were pretty damned good. Maybe someone will buy their recipes, name and then franchise the concept, atmosphere being a large part of it.
    Dirty's is still around right? Although they cleaned up their act several years ago their food wasn't too bad. Burgers were better when the buns were loaded with grease from the grill but I digress.

5. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 1,000+ Posts

Dirty’s is still there. You’ll still find a Hut’s at the airport, but c’mon.

2J’s chicken is still missed, but Austin has a ton of solid chicken joints. Top Notch still has the cool old car guys come out and good food.

Basil’s is still missed for great Italian, IMHO, but there are many very good places around town not chain. I’m grateful Chez Nous is still there on Neches. Hyde Park Grille still making great battered fries. Dan’s is left standing after Fran’s closed, so that divorce is really final now. El Mercado is still the place to be after a baseball game.

I’ll miss Eastside Cafe, Tumbleweed, Lone Star Cafe, Magic Time Machine, Milto’s, Ted’s Greek, Louie’s on the Lake, Spaghetti Warehouse, Black Eyed Pea, Zoot, and dozens more.

But if we’re being honest, the food in Austin restaurants today is better than ever by a country mile.

I’m taking the kids for a Savage tomorrow because Conan’s deep dish wheat crust is outstanding Austin pizza, even today.

6. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Mmmm...a Savage (hold the anchovies) from Conan's on wheat!!...

7. Dionysus

Dionysus Cocky + Relaxed Admin

Last April we were in Austin for the spring game and I had told my kids about the “great battered fries” that I remembered from HP Grille, so I had to take them there. Maybe it was a bad day in the kitchen but the fries we were served were overcooked and hard. It was terrible. The entrees were average at best and nobody enjoyed the meal. I failed them! :smile1:
    Neches and Sixth, right? If that’s the one I remember it from the mid-80s, ate there once and I remember it being really good.

8. Chop

Chop 2,500+ Posts

If the developer is local or someone who cares deeply about Austin institutions (a big "if"), maybe they could give Huts a cut rate lease on a ground floor space of their new high rise building. But that's probably fantasyland thinking. Of course, if they were to do that, the people in that building might have the largest average waistline of any building in town.

9. Chop

Chop 2,500+ Posts

Huts photos:

[​IMG]

I liked the college town atmosphere with all those pennants, and that checkerboard floor--
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But most importantly...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn 1,000+ Posts

Monsour's #1 here in Shreveport.............oysters on the half freshly shucked, loafs of French bread with butter and Busch draft for .35 (back in the day)............man that was hard to beat!

11. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 5,000+ Posts

Louie's Bar which, in the 70's was caddy-corner across from Scholtz's at the intersection of E17th Street and San Jacinto. Longnecks were 40cents during happy hour which was pretty much all evening. There's a government parking garage there now.

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 5,000+ Posts

Louie’s had the Jacks & Queens pinball machine, but when it was 430 , Commissioner of Banking Robert Stewart arrived with his quarter plunked loudly on the machine, which meant your time was up. His Pearl was brought to the machine and kept being replenished until he was ready to go home.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  13. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

I didn't realize Conan's was still open. When I first moved to Austin, I worked at the one on Guadalupe & 29th(?) just south of the Showdown Saloon.

What about Mangia's? are there any of them left? I loved their Chicago Stuffed pizza - 2 thin crusts holding about an inch of mozzarella cheese and whatever "toppings" you ordered. IIRC, the pepperoni was the only ingredient I remember actually being placed on top w/ the sauce.

14. Chop

Chop 2,500+ Posts

Unfortunately, we're bound to add to this list with all the Coronavirus shut downs and slow down.