Restaurants and Bars you liked that closed down

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Chop, May 15, 2019.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life 5,000+ Posts

I'm guessing quite a few but only time will tell. I'm hearing that chains with multiple restaurants in Austin may only reopen their most busy/profitable locations. I can't imagine a local one off can possibly survive for months with no revenue.

I find it curious how quiet the city has been about helping businesses through this mess. Any help that does come will probably be tied to helping the homeless.

2. Great Hills Horn

Great Hills Horn 100+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  3. Great Hills Horn

• poop poop x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Great Hills Horn

Botticelli's on South Congress closed.

5. Great Hills Horn

Enchiladas Y Mas reopens today at 11 am.

• Like Like x 1
  6. horninchicago

horninchicago 5,000+ Posts

For any fellow southwest Fort Worth people from the 70s and 80s, I just heard Mi Charito closed down and a BBQ place is moving in.

Sad. We moved there in 1974 and went quite a bit. On visits the last several years, we had gone there. Food was still great, but sadly we were one fo a handful of tables in the place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Great Hills Horn

8. Great Hills Horn

• Hot Hot x 1
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 5,000+ Posts

Pappas brothers have had the Lubys and Fuddruckers up for sale in total or in part for over two years, including trying to franchise some. Greeks are great at creating and running restaurants, so maybe it's the Aggie influence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chop

Chop 2,500+ Posts

IMO, all of the Pappas Bros. restaurants, plus Luby's and Fuddruckers, were all very good places before the aggies in their family took the reins. They wrecked Luby's and Fuddruckers. Pappadeaux is still really good.

If King of the Hill is still being made, they need to do something with Lu Ann Platter because of this ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life 5,000+ Posts

Like....she catches covid and dies?

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 5,000+ Posts

Chop,

Sorry to say that the Luann Platter is a thing of the past. Chris & Harris lost that when they jumped the price from $4.99 to $12+. I used to go to Lubys every couple of weeks. Food was decent, it was cheap, and even I felt young in that crowd. Last time I was there (Fondren is closed, so Waugh Drive) i had trouble deciding where to sit because there were only two tables occupied.

It's just a matter of time until they fold that tent to focus on the problems at Pappadeaux's and Pappasito's. Apparently the steak house is doing well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chop

Chop 2,500+ Posts

The nearest two Pappadeaux to us are both good and usually quite busy. I can't speak to other Pappadeaux locations.

14. horninchicago

horninchicago 5,000+ Posts

By my count, you only have 37 more locations to try out and get back to us. :coolnana:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Funny that Luby's is being mentioned---my wife and I drove to Austin to see my son (Sr ME major) and passed by the Luby's on Mopac & Steck---kidded her about heading in there to get a Luann Platter of fish and Mac & cheese, guess she should have taken me up on that offer...

16. Chop

Chop 2,500+ Posts

You bet!

Next time any of you visit Papadeaux, I recommend you start out your dinner with some oysters Baton Rouge. Even during months without an “r”.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 2,500+ Posts

Lubys did the best fried fish batter.

18. KillerHorn

KillerHorn < 25 Posts

HUT’s was awesome
    I went my freshman year and was introduced to Shiner Bock! .75 a mug on draft. Exotic beer back in the day.

• Like Like x 1
  19. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Las Manitas, Seis Salsas, Eastside Cafe, Threadgill’s, Suzi’s China Grill, Jovita’s, El Sol y La Luna (when located on S Congress), Mezzaluna...all in Austin over the past 20 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  20. Chop

Chop 2,500+ Posts

They're dropping like flies in the independent restaurant business.

21. mchammer

mchammer 5,000+ Posts

Good Eats Cafe on Burnet Road.

22. mchammer

mchammer 5,000+ Posts

Though Players was mentioned, no one commented on their fried mushrooms.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Great Hills Horn