Restaurants I miss

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Crockett, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I lived in Austin for about four years in early 1980s, a growing boy with a big appetite. There were some unique eating establsihmetns I dearly loved -- Conan's Pizza, Thundercloud Subs and Chelsea Street pub, where when you ordered two for one drinks they'd bring both drinks out at once. Me and a girlfriend, full, buzzed and entertained for about $20. The Stallion was good for starting out a night with the guys, but for some (good) reasons I never took a girl.

2. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Holiday House. Thank God for Top Notch, or I would be desolate.

3. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Lived on Holiday House from 1966-1970.

4. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

5. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

6. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

I miss Bert's on MLK. The Far West location is good but not the same.

7. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

GM Steakhouse on the drag. Cheeseburger platter

8. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

holiday house was sweet, the 2.50 chicken fried steak dinner. gm steakhouse was sweet. i miss mad dogs.

9. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

The Stallion, G&M Steakhouse, and my all-time favorite Tex-Mex in Austin, Carmen's La Tapatia.

10. Lidig8r

Lidig8r 250+ Posts

Jorge's..

Oh the margarita hazes.

11. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

Jorge's on Hancock is still in business and seemingly doing well.

12. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

13. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

The original owners/operators of Jorge's are long gone. It's present life can't hold a candle to the old days.

T.G. Jorge's...meh
    Casita Jorge's...I miss you

[​IMG]

14. IRC

IRC 1,000+ Posts

If we're talking about Casita Jorge's on Mt Pleasant, then yeah, that was great place. Also already mentioned are GM Steakhouse and Mad Dog & Beans. Loved that place.

I'll throw in Abbey Inn on E Riverside and Tannin Ford.

15. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Basil's
    Granite Cafe
    Bitter End

16. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

GM Steakhouse and Mad Dog & Beans: I especially miss the ice cream shakes. What was the name of the Pizza place that had cheap fruit drinks in a pot?

17. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

Mad Dog & Beans

and Jake's

and El Matamoros puffy queso topped tacos

18. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

Going way back to the 60's. Sid's on N Lamar around 38th. Great chicken fried steak. How about Pop's on Speedway across from the old intramural fields? Complete dinners were 99 cents.

19. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Fritz's Barn at East Ave. & Manor Rd.

20. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Is Las Manitas still on Congress? I loved that place for breakfast. Haven't been to Austin in a while. Second the comment on Basil's - some good memories from there.

21. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

22. brwhorn

brwhorn 100+ Posts

2J's chicken fried steak

Alvin Ords sandwiches, buy a med get a small free. (Alvin's just ain't the same)

23. FattyMac

FattyMac 100+ Posts

Another vote for El Matamoras -- "home of the crispy tacos." Place was awesome.

24. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

25. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

i miss the taco bell across from the blockbuster on the drag. When did it close?

[​IMG]

26. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

I miss these from the SF bay area, I now live in Austin.

Little Sichuan (San Mateo)- what I thought was really good Sichuan style Chinese food. You could order Spicy Sichuan cold noodles (not on the actual menu) for like 6 dollars.

Amarin Thai (Mountain View) - I loved the Duck Curry and the Tom Yum was Yummy. I now wonder if the word Yummy came from Tom Yum.

Steps of Rome (San Francisco) - Nice and fairly cheap Italian food in the city. Always packed with hot ladies in the evening. The SPAGHETTI ai FRUTTI di MARE was good but I really liked the Spicy Cioppino.

27. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

What I wouldn't give for an ol' Shakeys pepperoni pizza with a side order of Mojo's and a pitcher of dark beer

28. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

This isn't a restaurant, but I miss Bruce's fried pies. When I was a kid you could stop by and buy "broken pies" for about 5 cents. They usually weren't really broken, they just hadn't been put in bags yet, and were still warm. YUM!!

29. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Formosa Chinese Restaurant on Exposition

30. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Soon to be...Jamie's Spanish Village.

[​IMG]