Restaurants I miss

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Crockett, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas 25+ Posts

You all did pretty well; I'm impressed. I'm convinced that if you were at UT in the late 70s through mid-80s you were there for the heyday of iconic Austin restaurants - at least the kind that interest me.

I live in San Francisco, and I'd trade all the foodie spots out here for a jalapeno cheeseburger from Mad Dog's, a cheeseburger platter from GM, a T-Man from Gary and that icebox pie his Mom used to make, an enchilada platter and a rita from the original Jorge's on Lavaca, a CFS from the Stallion, burger basket from Beans, etc etc etc.

To the above poster re the potted drink, the downstairs restaurant was the Red Tomato and I can't remember what the upstairs place was where you would get 'potted'.

3. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

4. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

Mad Dog's, The Daisy, G&M, Jorge's come to mind immediately. I'll think of more. [​IMG]

Beans... how did I forget that one. Sorry to hear that Jaime's is going to close. I agree with Steve Dallas about the restaurants in late 70s to mid-80s.

5. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

6. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

It's been nearly eight years since I lived in Austin. Ergo, I miss them all and, by extension, I hate you all.

[​IMG]

7. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Pelicans Wharf

8. IRC

IRC 1,000+ Posts

9. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Wasn't it Bananas above the Red Tomato? I had a fraternity brother try to jump over a chain in the parking lot at the Goodall-Wooten while carrying one of their "pots". He severed his jugular and very nearly bled to death. Had a bunch of nerve damage.

I was briefly a bouncer at Uncle Sue Sues which was over by Valentines where you could get "massacred".

10. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Thanks Nick. Yes, it was Bananas. I remember Uncle Sue Sues as well. I can't remember what I remember, though. [​IMG]

11. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

They served their drinks in mason jars.

12. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

Harpoon Henry's at 290 and I-35. Good memories.....The piano player behind the huge picture. That place had awesome seafood!!!

I absolutely loved Sid's and that sourdough bread they had. I have many fond memories of going there with my dad when I was about 8 and eating the olives out of his dry martini.

Nighthawk, Holiday house, and Straw Hat Pizza was the ****. The only other I would add would be J.Brenner and Gyro wrap that I worked at in the Food Court in Highland mall. Good Cheese steaks and Gyro's. I have not had a Gyro cooked as good since then.

13. the Saint

the Saint 500+ Posts

My girlfriend worked at Pelican's Wharf.

I miss 2Js 2 for 1 chicken fried steak

Also, Posse West and Nau's Pharmacy grill

14. utche

utche < 25 Posts

TExas Fight....we must have crossed paths many times.
    Sids, Night Hawk and Holiday House all bring back great memories

15. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

16. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Kirshner's on Burnet. The best and cheapest fried chicken, ice box pies and blue plate specials...

17. the Saint

the Saint 500+ Posts

yeah, it was about 85, 86 and 87

18. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas 25+ Posts

19. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas 25+ Posts

I'm blanking on Pelican's Wharf. Where was it?

For some reason Magic Time Machine popped into my head, although I wouldn't list it as a place that I miss.

20. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Nau's on San Gabriel is closed. The one on West Lynn is still there. A loss, none the less.

[​IMG]

21. bevosayshi

bevosayshi 250+ Posts

Pinch-a-Pollo on Burnet.

[​IMG]

22. J.R.69

J.R.69 250+ Posts

Hank's Grill on the drag--excellent CFS w/burnt-orange gravy. The Plantation @19th St (MLK) and Guadalupe; El Toro; Casiraghi's; Polynesian (?) Steak House on Riverside.

All bring back memories.

23. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Plantation, Cassaragi's Italian food? We're going back in time now. But not as far back as...Villa Capri Steakhouse, pretty good steaks for quite a few years, Hector's Taco Flats, "over one thousand returned," Chicken Shack, Night Hawk on South Congress, Night Hawk on the Drag, how about the Canary Hut, and last but not least, the Hitchin' Post steak house on Lamar.
    I liked the Holiday House on Barton Springs Boulevard, with Charlie the alligator.

24. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Vakashmo's...

25. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Pelican's Wharf was right there on S 1st and close to Barton Springs Road, what is the road that goes right in front of the Auditorium (is that Riverside)? It was right across the street from the original RunTex location, I believe.
    Is it a Hooters now?

26. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

You know one that I can't believe still exists is Hofbrau's steak house on 6th.
    It has to be endangered, highrises abound all around it.

T-Bones and steak fries swimming in grease (or is it that garlicy salad dressing).

Better get 'em while you can.

27. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas 25+ Posts

28. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

29. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Anyone remember an Italian place on the Drag a couple of blocks north of campus. They had the wine bottles with candles. Can't remember the name Very '60ish. [​IMG]

Chicken Shack and Plantation, YES!!!!. Lived on 21st street during my freshman year. Spent lots of time at Plantation. Wasn't it open 24hrs?

30. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts