Restaurants I miss

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Crockett, Jul 5, 2010.

1. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

There was another old Italian restaurant that I used to go to called Ferrari's. Seems like it was on either North Lamar or Burnet Road.

2. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

TaMolly's

Chi Chi's

And.......Crystal's Pizza

3. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"Anyone remember an Italian place on the Drag a couple of blocks north of campus. They had the wine bottles with candles. Can't remember the name Very '60ish."

Victor's Italian Village

4. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Ferrari's was at 34th and Lamar. They had the best subs ever made in Austin...

5. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

A couple of places not mentioned:

Les Amis. Not for the food, but just hanging out.

Virginia's. A dining experience like no other. Run out of an old house on S. 1st St. Your entire plate of food would be swimming in butter. You would pretty much get what they were serving with next to no choices. People who asked for a table would wait forever, as the little old ladies running the place let you have your seat and that's it.

6. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Nau's Pharmacy grill

i totally forgot about nau's and i ate there about 3 times a week when i lived a block away. breakfast tacos from naus the morning before you started to drink for the saturday game. 2J's for the sunday morning hangover(double whipped/cfs dinner for 2 bucks). someone mentioned granite cafe, i forgot about that place. the taco bell on guadalupe near the old blockbuster closed?

Has anyone mentioned the mexican place on congress around 1st or second street? i cant remember the name but it closed around 2002. great breakfast and food.

7. mofohorn

mofohorn 25+ Posts

Mooreburger

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

OK, Armadillo World Headquarters Beer Garden, and after it closed, Jalepeno Charlie's was started by one of the employees, and some of the people who worked at the Armadillo also worked at Charlie's, until he, uh, overdid it a bit much. Great nachos and enchilladas, though.

9. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

I mentioned this to my wife, and she brought up Barbara Ellen's in Bee Cave for their home cooking (broasted chicken, cobblers, etc.). Apparently, it closed down 6 or 7 years ago, maybe longer. We used to take my mother there when we went out to eat with her. I checked out the street view on Google Earth, and it was just a vacant when they drove down Hwy 71. I don't know if I should show my wife... she'll be crushed. Oh, well.

10. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

Uncle Van's Pancakes.19th and Guadalupe. Used to go in there late on Sat night(early Sun AM) and try to soak up some of the beer with a big plate of pancakes.

11. TXbigdog

TXbigdog 25+ Posts

The Stallion--bartender there for a while before going to work for AISD. This was 1980. Used to go to the trailer in back and shoot craps after work, lol. Damned near got a divorce after 2 weeks of married life, and not because I was losing. Finally got that divorce 12 yrs. later.

As mentioned above, Virginia's. Those two old ladies ran a tight ship. No BS after eating. It was get up, pay up and get out. Only open MWF IIRC. Huge portions served on big platters and tea served in what looked like a gallon glass.

12. Alpine

Alpine 100+ Posts

Steve Dallas: Red Tomato used to share the building with Banana's at Guadalupe and 16th. Now the Claypit.

13. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Blue Moon
    Clarksville Cafe

14. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Dot's
    The Filling Station
    DOOBIES

[​IMG]

15. ImissWallyPryor

16. ImissWallyPryor

Rainbow Inn just south of Town Lake off Lamar. I don't recall anything too special about it (it must have been more popular with the Greatest Generation crowd), but it was popular nonetheless. They sold out and moved to a sterile stip mall near South Lamar and Ben White Blvd and promptly went out of business. Restaurants that do that have a death wish, but maybe they lost their lease at the original location.

17. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"Uncle Van's Pancakes.19th and Guadalupe."

Man I loved that place. My big bro and I had a paper route from Lamar to San Jac and from the Capitol to West Ave from '63-'65 and we'd eat breakfast there every morning. Discovered Boysenberry syrup there. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

18. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

19. OK, for you San Antonians, Hot Dog Haven, right across from old Varsity Drive Inn by the Culebra/Bandera split. Best hot dogs around. This was in the late 60's.

Coney Island, next to the Texas theater on Houston Street. Foot long hot dogs were 10 cents.

The old Pig Stand on Broadway..open trout sandwich..delish!!!

20. Nuge

Nuge 100+ Posts

How about drinking Yards of Beer at Medieval Inn.

21. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

22. pneuma

pneuma 25+ Posts

Gondola House
    Hansel & Gretel
    Big Cat

23. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

60's Chicken Shack, Shakey's Pizza (with live entertainment, on the drag), Holiday House, of course, and... The Barn! (with a girl on a swing)

70's Night Hawk, the Hyatt (which was the first place that people went to to get those new "fajitas,") and Mad Dogs

80s Lakeview Cafe, the Pier on Lake Austin (electronic darts)

24. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Sebastian's, a sandwich shop open for lunch behind PCL. Later became an awful eatery called "Old House Restaurant," then I don't know.

For grins, there was Zinsky's, the home of the "Substitutsky" until Schlotzsky's sued them for infringement.

Ol' Mossback Inn. The name says it all, I think.

The guy in front of the Co-op selling the pocket breads.

25. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Raw Deal...

26. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Loved Raw Deal and the old Lakeview Cafe. Anyone old enough to remember Youngblood's for fried chicken? South of the river, on Lamar, I think.

27. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

Any body remember the hippie on the drag in the 70's selling "Salvation sandwiches! Spicy iced tea! Lemony lemonade!"

28. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

La Ronda on Airport/Manor.
    Hobo Joe's BBQ on Manor Rd.

29. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

^
    ^
    habana?

i would pay a large sum of money to be able to get just one more week's worth of lunches from las manitas

30. FattyMac

FattyMac 100+ Posts