Restaurants that Charge Gratuity for Takeout

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by general35, Apr 28, 2008.

1. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

In reply to:

2. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

3. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

Mac, in your senarios 1&3 should certainly be tipped. If 2 is obviously the case, then waiter or no, they are being paid a full wage, and as such aren't working for tips. I personally tip in any case, but it isn't the concept of tipping which is at issue, it is the enforced "tip" which rubs people the wrong way.

accuratehorn, waiting tables isn't a cakewalk, but it isn't rocket science either. I know, I've done it. The reason why it doesn't pay for **** is because (unlike .net developer) it is classified UNSKILLED labor. Don't get me wrong, you need to have the apptitude and disposition for it, but in the end, it is a job a 16 year old can (and frequently does) do. It always shocks me when waiters play the "I don't make much money" card... of course you don't, you are a freaking waiter. It is an entry level position to a low margin industry, what did you think you'd be paid? Actually, that isn't fair. Every waiter I've ever known who was worth his salt always finished the week flush, even in the crappy restaurants.

4. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

5. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

6. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

7. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

8. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

you could always move to california. i think the food and beverage people are unionized and make about 10.00 per hour. look, if you dont like being a bag it and sack it guy, get another job. gratuities are a voluntary award. i usually tip on to go orders anyway but forcing me to do it is rediculous.

9. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

Yeah being required to tip on To-Go orders is BS. I have no sympathy for them. That is their job. I have on and they have one. If they think they are doing too much work for their wage then quit and find another job. I have never waited tables because I didn't want to be paid 2.15 an hour and wait for tips. I chose to work at H-E-B because the pay was better. As a cashier I had a wage. My job was to check customers out. When they asked me to carry out or pick up baskets I didn't expect the customers to tip even though that wasn't the job I was hired to do. I didn't expect H-E-B to pay me more for it. There is that line in most job postings "other duties as assigned". Seriously if you don't like what you get paid go do something else.

Now I have to go pick up a to-go order at Olive Garden. And yes I will tip since it is a big office order.

10. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

11. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

I also want to add that if H-E-B didn't have a strict policy on not accepting tips we would have a thread on here on what to tip the cashier/baggers/carry-outs at H-E-B.

12. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

13. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

Ultimately, where I come down on it is a forced gratuity is counter productive, at least it is in my case. As a consumer I'm happy to tip big, but don't like being told gratuity is compulsory. If you add service onto the bill then I don't feel as compelled to suppliment the bottom line. When I see a tip is added in, the level of service required for me to go over that number increases dramatically.

Don't get me started on the waiters who like to write a total INCLUDING a tip on the back of the receipt hoping you will tip again on top of that number. That act alone will dock you 10% or more.

Mac, every restaurant I ever worked at changed your pay when you changed stations. If they aren't doing that consistantly anymore, I need to consider it. In any event, as I've said repeatedly, I personally tip regardless because I like places I frequent to remember me... but that is paying for a different service.

14. Thunderhoof

Thunderhoof 250+ Posts

These arguments are always funny because almost everyone agrees that they tip well for good service. So do I.

This take-out argument is a better one by far. I have never really thought about it until now, and I have never tipped anyone for a takeout order.

Frequently the places I get take-out from just have the food sacked up and waiting, so it's not even clear who I should tip.
    I have a hard time leaving a tip with the "doe-hoes", and I honestly had never considered that a bartender might have prepared the order, etc etc.

I have no doubt that waiting tables is hard work. There are lots of hard jobs out there. Waiters (and former waiters - my wife is one of those) frequently get so indignant when this subject comes up, and this thread has plenty of examples. This indignant attitude, which is certainly justified when directed towards total ********, sometimes gets thrown at the rest of us, too. And that ticks people like me off.

15. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

16. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

17. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

Here's a question (and a serious one at that, although it seems that I'm posing it as something else):

What would Jesus do? What would be the Christian thing to do? If you know the take-out person is making a substandard wage do you dismiss their plight on the grounds of free-market principles (if they want a better job they can quit and get one); on some smug feeling that they lack initiative and drive therefore this is what they deserve?

Now that we (the royal we) "know" the plight of take-out personnel, what does the good Christian do? I think the answer is obvious: you tip. Maybe not a lot, but you tip nonetheless and help them out.

But does your religion stop at your pocketbook? It does for most.

18. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

19. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

20. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

21. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

22. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

23. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

I've hijacked this thread enough: suffice it to say that I will now tip with a cheerful heart and always put a dollar or two in the tip bucket at the to-go stand.

Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord. [​IMG]

Seriously, I'm gonna tip these guys, if not more then with a better attitude. It's not fair if the "regular" waiters get tips and they don't.

24. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

25. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

26. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

27. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

28. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

29. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

30. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

MilkmanDan, I agree, I think a 10% is a pretty reasonable baseline. But I think a guy who fucks up my pick up order, is lazy in his job, or whatever should get less, while a guy who has everything in place, has freebies on hand and turns around people quickly, should get more.
    Gratuity
    1. a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.
    2. something given without claim or demand.

3. British. a. a bonus granted to war veterans by the government.
    b. a bonus given military personnel on discharge or retirement.