Returns

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Statalyzer, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Is Cosby expected to handle punts and kickoffs again, or is anybody else in the running to take over one of the duties from him?

2. cam4mav

cam4mav 25+ Posts

in one of Macks press conferences he mentioned that Quan is still the guy but that some of the new speed guys will get a shot

dont know how much of that is coach speek or not, but im hoping if one of the new guys lights it up they can get opportunities

3. gkp

gkp 500+ Posts

It's all about ball-handling, not speed. No muffs, no fumbles on contact.

4. Black Ninja

Black Ninja 500+ Posts

5. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

Shipley was first team all-american in my ncaa 2008 season. Just sayin'... [​IMG]

6. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

7. CHETOLONGHORN

CHETOLONGHORN 250+ Posts

I would love to see Hales get a shot.

8. TheBestPoster

TheBestPoster 100+ Posts

Yes, he's sure-handed, but isn't Mack always talking about the "explosive" plays? Don't get me wrong, I love Quan, but he's our #1 threat at WR right now. If he gets injured on some return, that hurts.

On punt returns, I can understand the definite need for sure-handedness, but I don't see the upside of having Quan return kickoffs. He's fairly agile and can make a few people miss, but his speed is lacking.

I'd like to see Quan on punt returns and Hales, Fozzy, or Curtis Brown on KO returns.

Also, at practice the other day, Beasley was also fielding punts, along with Quan.

9. GunsofNavarone

GunsofNavarone 25+ Posts

Why is it an either/or? I find it hard to believe that no one on the team is quicker/more explosive than Cosby and can also field punts cleanly.

10. homerX

homerX 100+ Posts

I'd like to see Beasley backing up Quan at PR. It's always nice to have a DB back there that can lay the wood if anyone trys to pull a fake.

11. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Brock effing Fitzhenry will be our Welker. Some people are going to be blown away by his "football speed."

12. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

13. Superfan

Superfan 250+ Posts

Give me Curtis Brown or Beasely.

14. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd 100+ Posts

There is no way in hell Mack is going to put a true freshman back there, even if this is a Brave New Mack. I happen to agree with him on that.

I would like to see Quan and Beasley deep on KOs and Beasley on punts, if he shows he is true-handed enough this spring.

15. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang 25+ Posts

The kickoff was moved back so his return yardage will be somewhat inflated compared to those in the past.

16. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

Other than the increased injury risk to our #1 WR, I see no reason that Quan shouldn't remain the primary return man. He was rock solid for us all year and had his fair share of big returns. Sure he doesn't run a 4.3 forty, but his ability to follow blockers and hit holes more than makes up for that, not to mention his reliable hands. Unless someone comes along that completely blows him out of the water, I see no need for a change.

17. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

Speed is the currency I deal in.

18. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

With Akina back in charge of the punt team, I doubt our opponents will ever get a punt off!!!

19. TWC

TWC 100+ Posts

Quan did it as a true freshman? Not in any very important games, but he did get some returns.

20. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

21. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

Im happy with The Quan.

22. TWC

TWC 100+ Posts

Good call.

23. Les Claypool

Les Claypool 25+ Posts

Not to hijack the thread and start a "we need a special teams coach" convo, which coach handles special teams?

I like Quan. He's not sexy, but the dinner is warm when I get home. I'll never forget Vasher fumbling on the goal line against OU and Evil Roy becoming superman.

24. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I didn't think he fumbled, I thought he just fair caught the ball at the 2.