Richard Dawkins at Rice, Monday Oct 10 at 7pm

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Dionysus, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

2. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

The worst kind of intellectual - a close minded one.

3. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I'll admit I have no idea who this is.

But I was instantly interested when I first thought it was Richard Dawson speaking at Rice. I mean, if those eggheads can bring someone back from the dead, it might be worth the price of admission.

4. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Yeah, now that I see it's not Phil Dawson speaking I'm not nearly as interested. [​IMG]

5. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

Daryl Dawkins was a beast on the court.

6. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

Will he be bringing a flying spaghetti monster with him?

[​IMG]

7. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

The worst kind of intellectual - a close minded one.

Lol. Right. Any scientist who isn't "fair and balanced" when it comes to creationism is close minded.

Those scientists. When will they give equal time to astrology as well as creationism?

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

9. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Did he spend more time reminiscing about Hogan's Heroes or the hosting role on Family Feud?

11. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

I'll admit I have no idea who this is.

In a way I envy you.

You have a very fascinating journey ahead of you should you undertake a trek to learn more about Mr. Dawkins. Imo, Mr. Dawkins is the least rude of the atheistic unholy trinity (Dawkins, Hitchins, and Harris), but there are plenty who do find him abrasive.

The way I look at it, the rise of the likes of Mr. Dawkins is a necessary corollary to the rise of the ideologue fundamentalist right-wing Christian evangelicals who try to fob creationism and Intelligent Design off as real science.

12. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

Wish I could have gotten down there to see him, I just finished reading his "The Greatest Show on Earth".

While he and I would disagree about religion, I respect his very vocal and intelligent stand against ignorance (i.e., creationism/ID folks).

I do think it's quite sad that the books he's written even have to exist nowadays.

13. Trusted Insider

Trusted Insider 1,000+ Posts

i don't agree with him either (that there is no God anyway) but enjoy him and would have liked to have seen him at Rice. I also enjoy Hitchens. I don't think Sam Harris is nearly as persuasive as the other two.

14. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

A pox on all those who speak as if they know all the answers and condemn everyone who disagree with them because they are not worthy.

You got an opinion, fine. But from where I sit your ability to deal with those that disagree with you on a mature level is what I think is most telling.

And I think South Park did as good a take on Richard Dawkins as anyone.

15. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

A pox on all those who speak as if they know all the answers and condemn everyone who disagree with them because they are not worthy.

A strident condemnation of the fundamentalist evanglical community. Kudos to you, sir.

16. UTViking

UTViking 250+ Posts

Chicken or small?

17. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

18. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

Pogo, great name.

It may amuse some to know that I AM an evangelical Christian.

It may shock others to know that just like every other group we too have mouth breathing idiots who are not representative of the entire group. Shocking of course meaning that in spite of popular liberal mindset opinion all of us are NOT that way.

I think Christ said something more than once or twice about toleration.

And even more shocking I am an Evangelical Christian who enjoys, make that, LOVES South Park.

19. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

Exactly Y. There are plenty on both sides that deem the other unworthy and beneath them. I'm catholic, BTW.

20. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Y, an evangelical Christian who pays attention to what Christ actually said? You're as rare as a sooner fan who actually attended ou.

21. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

There are a BUNCH more of us than you would believe.

Its just that the popular media portrayal of people like me is not exactly what I would call fair. It is a whole lot easier for people on the other side to proselytize (double entendre intended) us as THEY want us to be to rather than what we are to further their own agenda. We are the only group that it is okay to slander anymore in the media. If the media portrayed any other cultural group the way that they do us they would be hounded out of the business as intolerant bigots, racists, homophobes, whatever....

If you focus on ANY groups wing nuts and assume they are the norm then you are wrong and pretty much a dumbass.

But what the hell do I know? I am a EC that loves South Park, a cold beer, good scotch, and a premium cigar from time to time.

22. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

There are a BUNCH more of us than you would believe.

You're probably correct.

I think there's about 7 evanglicals out there who actually take Jesus' sayings to heart, and in reality there are probably at least 2 dozen. That's like a 240% increase.

Sorry, but when I see most evangelicos bash gays and dismiss the poor (and isn't it nice when the poor also happen to be illegal immigrants) I don't get the impression they really care much about what Jesus said.

23. Trusted Insider

Trusted Insider 1,000+ Posts

The biggest evangelicals on this site are not who you would think they are, Y Sanchez.
    In fact, they're not even christians [​IMG]

24. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

25. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

26. jcdenton

jcdenton 250+ Posts

Did anyone else catch Dawkins and Hitchens at the Texas Freethought Convention the weekend prior?

Dateline sent a reporter from Australia (where the Global Atheist Conference will be held next year) and did a segment on it. I make a couple of cameos: The Link

27. jcdenton

jcdenton 250+ Posts

As for the notion of Dawkins being "close [sic] minded", he has stated numerous times that he is open to the possibility of a God existing; however some valid evidence would need to be presented (or discovered) first in order for him to change his view:In reply to:

28. Hornin' In

Hornin' In 25+ Posts

Daugher and her dukie friends saw Dawkins on campus in Durham. Were very disappointed at his presentation. A combination book selling schtick and high school biology. Her pre-med friends found it sadly funny.

29. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

30. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I'm clothes-minded.