Rick Barnes is an atrocious coach

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by gnaiko, Jan 30, 2010.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

What's with the comments about pre-Barnes or pre-Penders? Is that the standard? You really think that's where UT would end up if Barnes left?

And as for the spoiled comment, I was under the impression that UT was the Jones'. It's not being spoiled; it's an expecation. If you are happy with a team full of experience and youthful talent hitting the skids, then your standards are TOO LOW. Yet, you cuss everyone out. I'd say you are the one with the problem.

2. hookem1962

hookem1962 250+ Posts

^^^^^^^^ amen, preach it brother [​IMG]

3. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

You people bashing Barnes are kind of over the top. He has been very, very good for our basketball program. They are struggling now because they are having to rely on 3 freshmen to run the offense (or lack there of) and score points. J'covan is not a natural point guard, He's better suited for the 2 spot, but he is having to fill that role. Also, their defense has suffered because of this as well (playing the frosh mostly). They need to move the ball better offensively, and settle on a player rotation. They will be ok, its just that teams have kind of figured them out right now.

4. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

This thread is like Jason. It never dies.........

5. Max Powers

Max Powers 100+ Posts

6. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

I've posted this tidbit in a few different threads now, but here is the counter-intuitive fact of the day:

Texas is scoring more than any Big 12 team in conference play, despite shooting only 60.4% on free throws. Raise Texas up to the second worst ft percentage (64.9%), and team scoring would be more than 2 1/2 points higher a game than second place KU, and that's not even assuming more free throw attempts due to making more front end of 1 and 1's.

The Link

So with no inside game, guards that can't shoot, and a whole team of brick layers from the stripe, Texas still scores faster than any other team in the conference.

Everybody still think the team's problems are mainly on offense?

7. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

How many of you remember the bumper stickers with "Kaiser Bob"--man, that seems like ages ago, but we really sucked back then...

8. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

what was really weird was the team with Weltlich as coach being co champs of the SWC. I remember reading about Brownlee and the other seniors taking a picture in front of the Erwin Center sign "Sold OUT" because they were playing their last game in the Center against Aggy. It was the first sell-out since Abe left, I believe.

9. hookem1962

hookem1962 250+ Posts

ttt

today's installment even warranted ole rb to say so himself---an embarassment.

He's not a very good coach and we won't reach the pinnacle with him as our coach.

10. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Barnes has not coached this bunch up to their potential this year. I think most of us can agree on that. the team looks slow, stale, rigid on offense.

Little cutting, poor movement. I am not BB geru, but the competition seems to do more with less, on offense.

This team seems done. Can't beat decent competition, especially on the road.
    They don't look like the same team now as they were in December.

Hope they prove me wrong come tournament time. But I can't see that happening.

11. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

what caryhorn said.

and it's ultimately coach's responsibility to get players to play, regardless of their warts or shortcomings.

and that doesn't mean you gotta throw up Kaiser Bob and Tommy P to defend the coach. he's being paid to coach this team and to maximize their abilities.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

12. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

Not the best O coach, but no true point guard!

13. skymonkeyhorn

skymonkeyhorn 100+ Posts

14. The Horn Identity

The Horn Identity 500+ Posts

Barnes probably should have fallen on the sword earlier, but I appreciate seeing these comments from him. For the last month, he's been pretty vocal about his issues with particular players. And some times, he's been close to throwing them under the bus.

But, this "Mack Brown" approach is more palatable for a heach coach making $2M. Take the blame publically and deal with your player issues in practice. If anything, I hope this rallies the players to his side. Let them show their support of the coach by playing harder (better) when they are on the court.

15. hookem1962

hookem1962 250+ Posts

ttt---for obvious reasons

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I'm not going to pin this on Barnes yet because I've seen our teams in the past show a lot of basketball knowledge and a good grasp of the fundamentals. And it's hard to tell without actually being part of team whose fault what is - I've played for teams where our coach was pretty good and I was often upset at my teammates for not trying as hard as I thought they could have to get it right. Some of the parents were blaming the coach when I could tell it was their own kids who were the real problem. So I really don't know what the core issue is with this particular Texas Longhorns team is.

But whether it's on him or on certain players or both, right now this team does not look they know the game of basketball. They look like skilled, athletic guys who just happen to be on a basketball court. But during that Baylor game I saw virtually no knowledge of basketball footwork, court positioning, stances, team communication, etc....

17. hookem1962

hookem1962 250+ Posts

ttt---once more! [​IMG]

18. TX_D

TX_D < 25 Posts

Someone please tell Barnes this is not the NBA and he can actually use a 2-3 zone. He doesn't have the players to play man to man the whole game. And the screen and roll is almost too easy against the Horns.
    Bad coaching, very frustrating screaming this at the TV every game.

19. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

When Mushberger says your players should slide over and play helpside defense that's pretty basic stuff that wasn't being coached on the floor.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

20. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

Lose to baylor once, shame on us, lose more than once, death to the program.

21. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

Barnes knows how to coach and has done well. He is not an offensive genius, but then again, who is? Basketball is largely an undisciplined, highlight production system at this point. Barnes has done well to get his teams to play D, the #1 disciplinary aspect of the game. This team doesn't do it. You can lead a horse to water....

This team is young and lacks a PG who can help guide the O. They also lack a post player that is consistent and productive. Maybe Barnes should be faulted for failing to get more out of Wangmene, Chapman, Hill, and, yes, Pittman, but that has never been a strong point in his approach. Maybe he should have pulled better talent for the paint and can be blamed for that shortcoming. I hear ya. Still, as a bottom line, he has recruited some great talent. This freshman class was misleading. Talented, yes, balanced, no. No PG and no post. Most great frosh classes have both. Without these things the O will begin to stagnate as the season wears on. Brown may step into the point next year and manage it adequately, but this year he was wet behind the ears. The O looks awful. James is a nice player and has warred for the program, but let's face it, he is not really a game changer athletically and he is not a space eater. He does not alter the game consistently. He is able to get his, but against most comp, he needs help that is not currently developed on this roster.

The team is not that good and they spit the bit. Too much too soon. The #1 ranking, along with the lofty expectations stemming from a misread of the what could be expected of this recruiting class, probably led off the deep end.

Having all of this talent that had to be assessed, developed, slotted for minutes, handled emotionally and intellectually, just ate Barnes' *** up. You can see that he never really got hold of the team or their identity. They were a paper tiger waiting for a match.

Thompson is not going to change this team overnight, but he will help, and Brown can learn the point, so there is reason for hope. Some of the other diaper dandies need to get stronger and develop their games. They may have been over-rated, as well.

Tough year. Maybe some redemption in the tourney as they are still a potentially tough matchup (I don't want the Buckeyes playing them at all).

Chin up.

22. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

23. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

24. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

so...our Coach is not supposed to be able to coach-up the Freshmen he brings in?

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

25. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

Sometimes in any situation in sports or in the office, you get a group of people together that don't work well together and there's nothing the boss/coach can't do about it. It's not like Barnes hasn't been in this situaton before since he had Durant and Augustin on the same team and they did fine. I think it happens to be that this year these players don't mix.

26. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

This boss was also responsible for personnel decisions.

27. hookem1962

hookem1962 250+ Posts

ttt---he must go.

28. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Yea, let's blame Barnes that Dex can't make a 1 foot shot. Not once by 3x in a row. It would be like me missing a dunk in Nerf hoop. It's incredible how pathetic a team can be at making layups and dunks.

29. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

OT............Prolong the agony...........

30. Varsity Forever

Varsity Forever 100+ Posts

Free throws. As FREE throws. If your team can't hit free throws, then it is because the coach hasn't had them PRACTICE hitting free throws. If they miss layups, it is because the coach hasn't instilled in them the discipline, dedication and desire to MAKE the layups.