Ridley

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by bystander, Mar 1, 2016.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Not that he wants too but does he possibly qualify for a medical red-shirt?

2. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

He won't want a medical red-shirt, but I think if we went two games deep in NCAA Tounament, he would qualify.

He played in nine games this season.

3. aidotlee

aidotlee < 25 Posts

According to Coach Smart on LHN, conference tournament games are counted as 1 game as eligibility is concerned. So are NCAA tournament games. So Ridley will not be able to return next season even if he wishes so.

4. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I haven't heard many of the press conferences lately. Has Coach Smart commented on Ridley's status?

5. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

From what I've heard from some people: the NCAA is usually pretty lenient on letting guys get another year of eligibility if they've been hurt.

The bare minimum of games for Texas this year will be 33 (31 regular season, conf. tournament, one and done NCAA tournament). If Cam's played in 9 games, that's actually less than 30%. If 10 games, that puts him just barely above it.

Am I missing something? Because it sounds like from other reports and y'all's comments that he's got no chance at all of getting a med RS.

No disrespect in that question above, btw. I'm honestly just wondering if there's another rule I'm missing that would make Cam ineligible.

EDIT: Cam has played in 11 games this season, meaning the only way that could get under 30% is if Texas plays a total of 37 games, i.e., get to the Final Four...

Again, if what I've heard is true, hopefully the NCAA is lenient enough to let him get another year back. 11/33 games is only 33.33% of games, which would not be an egregious overstepping of the rule.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  6. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

• Like Like x 2
  7. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Smart said in the presser today that he's optimistic Ridley will be back soon, whether it's during the conference tournament or the NCAA tournament.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm torn about the tournament - I would sure hate to rush him into playing potentially back-to-back games that don't make a lot of difference in the long run. But it sure would be nice to give him a chance to knock the rust off before the dance starts.

• Like Like x 1
  9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Agree here. I think the only purpose to playing him in the B12 tourney will be to do exactly that: knock off rust and get him somewhat prepared for the big dance.

10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

They weren't with Chris Owens.

11. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

If Ridley is going to help us in the NCAAs, he needs to get a little time during Big 12 tourney play.

12. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, I agree he could use some time in the B12 tourney to knock some rust off but I wouldn't stretch him out too much - maybe try for 10 minutes/game?

13. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

We need him out there just for the sake of racking up fouls. We can't allow Ibeh and Cleare to have 3x each before halftime.

Reminds me of the year that the Nets got blown out by the Lakers in the NBA Finals. They had Todd MacCulloch, Aaron Williams, and Jason Collins playing down low against Shaq and they combined for 47 fouls in a 4 game sweep. That's about 4 per player, but spread out among 3 dudes.

Suppose Ridley doesn't play; If I'm our first round opponent, which is most likely an 11-seed, I have guards go right at Ibeh for dribble drive distributions. Prince is going to try to alter the guard's pass or shot, and if it's a pass, he quickly recovers and has to try to stop a forward with a wild movement. It'll get called more often than not. When we get in foul trouble down low, the opponent won't be afraid to move the ball anywhere.

14. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

We need to call Shaka right now and makes sure we start practicing the old head fake!!!!

15. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

16. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Was the rest of the team?