Riley to USC - announcement tomorrow

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by SabreHorn, Nov 28, 2021.

1. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

The fact that it's reported that Bob Stoops will step in to coach(? manage..) the team in the bowl game tells you how much influence Stoops still has on that program.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I wouldn't be shocked to see him there for a "right the ship" period as they groom the next Stoops/Riley. I could see them paying good $ for young up/comers for coordinators and let them cook and compete to get the nod.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bubba,

I firmly believe that your new & hopefully short-term president played a major roll. That guy couldn't shine Dr Boren's boots.

4. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Beaver's Bend/Broken Bow is absolutely gorgeous.

5. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

A. Possibly. I think it was WAY more SEC and striking while the iron is hot. Look at Campbell. If you're name is white hot and you pass on grabbing the brass ring you miss out. If they're really paying $15mm per year then that had a LOT to do with that.
    B. I know little about the new president. We do have one of, if not THE, best AD's in the game.
    C. My mom went to high school with Boren. Great president. My dad was from a roughneck family a few miles away and would utter a slur anytime his name was brought up - very similar to Andrew Jackson. This may be more his footwear choices: flat, pump, etc. http://www.amefird.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/1Footwear-Glossary-Shoe-Styles-06-13-08.pdf

6. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Always felt he got a bum rap. Barry was pushed out despite a great record on the field because things were a hellhouse behind the scenes. They hired Gibbs to clean up Switzer's mess at all costs knowing it might cost some wins in the short term. So he cleaned things up, had a losing record against Texas, Colorado, and Nebraska, and thus was fired for accomplishing exactly what they hired him to do.

I mean if those factors were really key, Texas Tech and Ole Miss would be playing for the national title every year...

Well, they haven't done well enough here to be considered by another blue blood....

Heh, so about that. When I was in college and my youngest sister was in high school we took a trip up from Austin to Kansas City (I-35 the whole way) with some friends. She had nothing against Oklahoma or OU, didn't care much about football, but kind of cheered for A&M just out of a healthy sibling rivalry b/c she got tired of all my Sooner/Aggie jokes.

Any way, at one point in the trip she looks out in the window a bit, frowns, and says "Wow, where are we? This place is depressing just to drive through!" I happily informed her we had just entered Norman, Oklahoma.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

OU's place in the hierarchy of notable programs just took a hit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

9. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

That's about what my Sooner wife said last night when she saw the news, with a few non-Christian words and gestures mixed in for good measure.

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. horninchicago

Sooner wife. Um, what?

Sorry, we can no longer be friends.

<sarc>

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

I know, what was I thinking... :smile1:

She's a winner though, best thing that ever happened to me. Plus, she wears the burnt orange to every game and supports us with the exception of the second Saturday in October.

• Like Like x 6
  13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

PS: that's the REAL Roy Williams. :)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Stat, you nailed it. Gibbs did indeed get a bad rap. The ou administration desperately wanted to get the "bad to the bone" image off the front page, and told Gibbs that was his job. He did exactly what they wanted and cleaned the program from the end of the Switzer era. His reward? Getting fired for too may losses.
    But fate got even with ou for that bad decision - they got Schnellenberger and John Blake to coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I'm not super wealthy but live in a really nice area in South OC.

Contrary to popular opinion, one doesn't have to be super wealthy to live in a very nice area of SoCal. Not Beverly Hills or Santa Monica perhaps, but there are many terrific options. Let me add that the property taxes here are much lower than in Texas, something like 1% or 1.1 versus say 2.4%. That disparity makes living in a $1,200,000 home in SoCal about equal -- from a PT standpoint -- to a $500,000 home in Texas. Additionally, my utilities here are very low. Gas is perhaps $50-60/month on average. And because I only use the AC two weeks out of the year, my electric bill (with a pool) runs about $175/month.

I hate the politics here (I know, West Mall), but the living costs may not be that much different than Austin. Now Normal is a different story.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Dukesteer- don't hit us with cold hard facts! It doesn't fit the narrative! And besides Texas used to be more affordable before all the folks started coming from California!

• Like Like x 1
  17. horninchicago

I have a cousin in Rancho Santa Margarita. She's from Louisiana and still writes "Geaux" but otherwise has gone full on OC.

18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

About 30 minutes, and 30 degrees hotter (in the summer) from us. And that 30 degrees might be 72 to 102...

:fire:

• Hot Hot x 1
  19. horninchicago

I have yet to fly into JW since I have been at Frontier, but if I get an overnight there, I'll look you up.

20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Duke,

I was in Lake Elsinore and had to get to John Wayne quickly. People told me to take Hwy 71 over the mountain. What a beautiful drive in SoCal

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Ha, my E bill was never over $100 because I rarely turned the AC on in the summer, or heater in the winter when I lived in the San Jose area. I don't know what it was when I lived in southern Ca because I was a student and didn't pay it.

22. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I just moved to Alaska..

:bow:

(Sounds good.) If you have time, go to Javier’s in Crystal Cove. The menu is great. What’s not on the menu is usually better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  23. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

That drive is pretty cool, and unexpected. But it gets closed occasionally, for fires or wrecks — because idiot drivers think it’s a Formula One track…

24. horninchicago

Wow, that was quick.

:fiestanana:

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

HIC,

Check out Javier's menu. I won't ***** about The Arches prices again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Meanwhile back to the subject.

My view is Riley took the SC job as a stepping stone to the Rams HC when Kronkie(??) gets tired of his aggy HC's inability to win consistently even with the players they have brought in.

• Hot Hot x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I wonder. Riley is a carbon copy of what the league has been hiring for the past several years: Young and mostly offensive minds: Shanahan, McVay, Kingsbury, Staley. The list goes on.

I would be shocked to learn that Riley had not been offered an HC job in the NFL by now. Of course, we may never know. Apparently either he prefers the college game or he wants another challenge at the college level. USC is an ideal fit and opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

Thanks for the insight.
    I figured there must have been something else going on other than a raise. I could see how being left out of the loop on the SEC deal would rub him the wrong way.

29. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

30. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

From a USC beat writer on ESPN radio:

> Last minute deal. In fact, he said that the USC AD was watching Bedlam as the USC-BYU game started and that because OU lost, Riley was immediately available. Not sure if this is true but it’s the same story Riley is using.

> Biggest hire since someone back in 1925. Said that fans here don’t really care about football during the off-season. Now they will.

> Mentioned that here USC has no recruiting rivals, unlike other elite programs around the country. Very true. They don’t have to worry about anyone.

> Mentioned that the fans are stunned, and they really don’t know how to react. Totally unexpected.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1