Rio Grande Valley game

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by JoeDallas, Dec 16, 2016.

1. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Last's night game was fun to watch, with the Horns' transition and paint game going strong. Underwood really stood out to me. A concern of mine, though, is that we seemed a bit one dimensional. Getting it inside was our sole goal, which happened to be pretty easy against this particular team. The three-point game was nonexistent, except for Brooke, who I believe took 5 treys, making 2. We're going to be in bad need of a three-point game in the Big 12, when most teams will throw a zone at us. I realize that none of our players, except for Brooke, may be great three-point shooters, but they can shoot it, and they need to build confidence. LaShann, Brianna, Sug, the twins, Joyner can all hit it. Last night would have been a perfect time to practice some kick out plays, but it didn't happen. Not a problem last night, but when they cover Brooke up, we've got to have options. Ariel coming back will help.

2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Jada really stood out in this game to me as well. That fast break play with her and Sutton was a thing of beauty!

3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The ladies played a very clean 1st quarter but then got very sloppy. A lot of the combinations in this game obviously didn't have a lot of PT together.

Jada continues to come on and just needs to be a bit quicker with her feet on D. Joyner was really forcing it this game on the offensive end - 6 TOs and could have had 20+ points but missed some easy layups.

• Like Like x 1
  4. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Agree, and that is why these types of games are probably just as important as facing a lot of tough opponents early on. It allows us to get different players, and combinations on the floor. I do think we have the ability to be a good 3 point team this season. Right now Brooke is shouldering most of that burden, but Ariel will be back before long. And there are others that can drain the three also. Sug is still developing after her injury, but she's got a great shot - just needs to get that confidence back. Jada has made 2 of 3 treys, and Lashann has just two attempts from BTA, and made them both. We're a work in progress, but lots to be excited about with this group!

5. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

J.Underwood look like she is fighting for a Starting Spot.I love her energy.She tends to know where to be on the floor to score.And she fights for Rebounds.