Riots in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Crockett, May 27, 2020.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Wife has a friend whose son died of an accidental
    overdose at age 28. Likely took fentanyl-laced opioid instead of his regular pain killers. George Floyd would have died that night or shortly thereafter for same reason.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

People are going to get angry about this sh**. Don’t know how much longer it will take but it’s coming. Someone is going to say “ not my place” and it will not be pretty. I hope they either have good lawyers for their defense or leave Dodge after the shootings because it’s coming.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It looks like this will continue until the election, but what happens after Trump wins?

Are they going to burn down every city in America? Will you let them burn your town down? Texas has the best Castle Doctrine in the country but it would be a stretch to say it covers you defending your city in the broad sense. But, it is an affirmative defense, which means as long as the court lets you use it, you get to make the argument to the jury. And my sense is that at least one person on every jury would be thinking, "I am not voting guilty for this guy who was trying to defend my city from being burnt to the ground"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  5. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Police need to start shooting these low life POS. Only answer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Texas A&M Professor Mark Hoekstra, who studies the effectiveness of lethal-force provisions in self-defense law, says the protection-of-property element of the deadly force law is “pretty unique to Texas.” Within Texas, however, the case was not unique. In 2010, the law protected a Houston taco-truck owner who shot a man for stealing a tip jar containing $20.12. Also in Houston, a store clerk recently killed a man for shoplifting a twelve-pack of beer, and in 2008 a man from Laredo was acquitted for killing a 13-year-old boy who broke into his trailer looking for snacks and soda.

Texas law also justifies killing to protect others’ property. In 2007, a man told 14 times by a 911 operator to remain inside during a robbery gunned down two thieves fleeing from his neighbor’s house. (“There’s no property worth shooting somebody over, OK?” the operator said on the call. The shooter’s response: “The law has been changed….Here it goes, buddy! You hear the shotgun clickin’ and I’m goin’!”) He was acquitted the next year.

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Legal in Texas. Surprised you didn’t know this.

8. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

FIFY

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Are you talking about this quote?
    "Texas has the best Castle Doctrine in the country"

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

If that is the Pasadena case, which it sounds like it is, that case still went to a jury. This is why affirmative defenses are tricky -- you must first admit you did it. And then it still goes to a jury. Which means you must rely upon the jury to understand and get it right. And its use does have a "reasonableness element." Should I be surprised you didn’t know this? I am not sure.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

What should be done here?
    This is Philly, FWIW

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Considering that fairly unreasonable shootings have been found not guilty (e.g., the man who shot a hooker walking away who didn’t perform after payment), not sure how defending property against a mob would be unreasonable, but hey I am not a lawyer.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You never really know what a jury is going to do. And I am guessing I have had more jury trials than everyone else in here combined. But if not, I am sure I will here about it.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

That is what I have been waiting to hear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

If a militia protects a business or a neighborhood and kills people. The best thing is for the militiamen to disperse and not allow themselves to be identified. Where surgical masks or something and hats to protect identity.

It is the natural right of humans to protect themselves and their property from evil people. They don't need to go to court over it. It is supported by our founding documents and nature itself.

• Like Like x 1
  17. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Seems like it would be easy to claim self defense, but obviously depends upon the jury.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I attempted to raise this question earlier with regard to Texas and the Castle Doctrine, which could be in play in these situations, but I was shot in a drive-by and left for dead.

19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Well JF
    If I shoot someone for threatening me on my property I would want you on speed dial.

IF you give me the Hornfans' discount.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

From May, but still
    We deserve so much better media than what we get

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  23. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

He sounds like the Iraq PR guy, forgot his name.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Bagdad Bob

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

We as citizens need to take the law into our own hands, no more relying on the police, we need to just hit and run. Just a few drive by shootings where real citizens come together and take out about 10 of these rioters and take off before authority can get there.

The real problem is if the police actually do the shooting they will be losing the moral high ground and given fuel to the BLM fire. However if we the citizens do the shooting then it will trigger a violent response from the BLM and they lose their moral high ground and give authority the ability to use extreme force.

On a side not, the image of that idiot blond boy pointing a gun at the journalist, he just ended his life. Though Wisconsin is an open carry state, the moment you draw your fire arm and point it at someone, you just committed a major felony. I expect at least a few years in prison for that idiot.

Now imagine how popular that little blond b1tch is going to be in prison around the black people there. He is going to come out bowlegged. You know the White Supremacist won't want anything to do with him unless it's to sell him to the brothas for a carton of smokes.

26. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

baghdad-bob.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
  27. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I just
    God bless Texas

• Winner Winner x 1
  28. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

You wonder how a mom so caring and thoughtful could raise a bonehead like him. Really sad for her. She condemned the rioting, and added the below when Don Lemon tried to get an anti Trump rant from her

Jacob Blake’s Mom Blasts Rioters For Destroying Kenosha, Apologizes To Trump

LEMON: Do you have anything to say, Ms. Jackson, to the politicians who are out there? Anything you want to say to the presidents or the candidates or Trump or Biden or anything like that?

JACKSON: For our President Trump, first I want to say a family member and I don’t know if it was heard or not said something that was not kind. She is hurting and I do apologize for that. Our outburst does not reflect our behavior. And also, for President Trump, I’m sorry I missed your call because had I not missed your call, maybe the comments that you made would have been different. And I’m not mad at you at all. I have the utmost respect for you as the leader of our country. Like I said before and I’m not saying this to him directly, we should always get the details from the right source before we start throwing bricks

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

30. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Kenosha's mayor is a democrat. I don't know the situation up there, does he direct the actions of the PD in an instance like this? In my Dallas suburb the PD basically has to follow the mayor's lead nowadays. Wasn't always that way but local police tell me they're basically at the mayor's whim (if rioting happens here)