RIP Coach Gus

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Phil Elliott, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I know he is wrong a lot, but Kirk Bohls has reported that Coach Gus died this morning of congestive heart failure. Sad day for the Longhorn Nation.

• Like Like x 4
  2. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

Rest in Peace Coach Gus.
    I grew up as a kid watching this true legend coach UT baseball, which made me the baseball fan I am today. Was there in the stands at home and away for a hundred games or more.
    He will be dearly missed by so many.

• poop poop x 1
  3. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

Rest In Peace Coach Gus :hookem2:

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

RIP Coach Gus :hookem:

5. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

A legend. RIP

6. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

7. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

RIP Coach Gus! Legend!:hookem::hookem2:

8. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

I seriously disliked beisbol until I came to UT. Coach Gus converted me.

Que Descanse en Paz. Vuele con los Angelitos.

9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

10. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Totally missed this yesterday, Gus was coach my entire student time in Austin and Gus ball was my escape from everything especially the absurd stress of law school. Absolute legend and at some point the University needs to add his and Augie's names to the field and make it Gustafson-Garrido Field at Disch-Falk Stadium.

RIP Gus

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Phil Elliott

I'd like to not put Augie's name on the field. Gus, yes, but Augie was the anti-Gus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

A Longhorn Legend - RIP, Coach :bevo:

13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Gus-Ball

:bevo:

14. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

"He’d win a game by forcing a balk with a man on third in the ninth, he’d win a game by giving a take sign on a 3-2 count, and he’d win a game sometimes by squeezing every last pitch — and I mean every — out of the guy on the mound. That was Gusball, a tag I gave his winning brand of baseball."
    KIRK BOHLS

16. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

"It was in 1975 when I first saw the huge sign in the locker room that said, “Winning shall not be entrusted to the weak or timid.” Others have used that mantra since, but no coach ever lived it as he did every single day of his life."
    KIRK BOHLS

17. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I spent hours in his office, just talking baseball. He was always so kind to me. He said that if his players had my passion for the game, they’d lose a lot less.

I will miss my friend.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Phil Elliott

More than any other coach in our history, he personified University of Texas Baseball.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

R.I.P. Coach Gus! You made my island of get-aways, and one of my happy spots, at the Disch '88-'90! :hookem:

20. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

I loved watching @ Clark Field. Too bad Clark couldn't be salvaged, but alas...the beisbol gods said "NYET!!!!"

Cliff & the Horns changed my opinion of baseball. Cliff & Omaha could do that.

21. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

And your point is? Two coaches - two styles. Both winners.

22. Phil Elliott

See my post #18 above.

23. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

LHN carried the celebration of life event for coach that occurred yesterday.
    Was wonderful to watch, but at the end when the group was going to sing the Eyes of Texas, they abruptly cut away. Is is still politically incorrect still to sing the Eyes of Texas or televise it?

24. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I too missed this bad news yesterday.

RIP Coach. You set the bar high for the UT Baseball program :hookem:

25. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

I started attending baseball games as a graduate student in the early 80s--a great time to be a Longhorn baseball fan--and I've been a season ticket holder ever since. I attended the service yesterday at Disch-Falk--great stories and some nice photos on the scoreboard. After the service they served Gus' everyday lunch--sandwiches, Lay's potato chips and iced tea in mason jars. I don't know if they showed them on LHN, but there were several current UT coaches of other sports there. Current players were passing out bulletins at the entrance gates, and they were all in the dugout for the service. It was very well-done in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Late 80s-early 90s at the Disch. I remember the cavernous outfield with the long dimensions. Gus would always have a very speedy good athlete at CF who could cover a lot of ground. Saw lots of low scoring Longhorn victories, lots of bunts, hit and runs, and stolen bases. When Brooks Kieschnick brought his bat to Austin, it was as if Babe Ruth had joined the team or something. And wow that pitching! Gus ball really defined this place. I hope we do something special the first home game, or wear his number on the caps, or something. RIP

:bevo::bevo::bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  27. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

We had a lot of very good CF under Gus. Imo the best was Joe Bruno (79). Played shallow and could get to the warning track before you could blink. Excellent lead off man, base stealer, base runner.

Dude was a chatterbox out there. You could hear him for 9 innings in CF

• Like Like x 1
  28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1