RIP Leon Russell...............

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by LousianaHorn, Nov 13, 2016.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

• Like Like x 2
  2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Read one of Willies books and he couldn't say enough good things about him. My favorite has always been "back to the Islands".

• Like Like x 1
  3. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Nash. Thanks for the "Back to the Islands" recommendation. Leon Russell was a little bit after my prime music time and I didn't know this song. It's a good one.

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

And thanks back for the video, had never seen it but love the song.
    Leon is one of several artists I didn't appreciate at the time but they've gotten my attention and admiration later in life, like Neal Young and Tom Petty. Sorry to lose Leon.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I once shared a smoke with him at Hofheinz Pavillion
    I kid not

RIP Leon

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Early 1971 I had an extra ticket for the Leon Russell / Freddie King concert at Palmer Auditorium. Went there the morning of the show to sell, and while waiting out front the roadies came up and asked me if I knew how to get in. Asked a guy at the ticket window who said he'd unlock the back door. The roadies told me if I would help unload and setup they'd get me a backstage pass. Of course I did. All of the cases were still stenciled "Mad Dogs and Englishmen." I sold both my tix, got to meet Leon, Freddie King, Rita Cooledge, Bobby Keys, etc.

When Freddie finished his set and we rearranged the stage for Leon, one of the roadies told me to carry his piano bench from the back to his piano as the last thing to do. I received a lot of cheers and applause bringing it out.

After the show I helped load out, then went with them to the old round Holiday Inn on 35 at Town Lake for their afterparty for a couple of hours. A memorable night being around that band and one of my musical heroes.

• Like Like x 4
  7. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wow, great story Meso. :hookem:

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I saw Leon Russell many times over the years, mainly at Willie Nelson Picnics or other Willie performances. He could also pop up at numerous other musician's concerts.
    His bio on Wikipedia is worth reading.
    Russell was a successful session musician, playing with numerous famous groups, Beach Boys, Jan an Dean, Rolling Stones, on and on. He wrote many famous hits, like the one above recorded by over 100 artists. He moved to Nashville and played and recorded country for some time under the name Hank Wilson.
    He was arguably the most popular artist at the time of the Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour, immensely popular.
    Both Elton John and Willie Nelson credit Leon Russell with influencing and changing their direction toward stardom.
    Like Bob Dylan, his voice was not his strong suit, but Leon Russell achieved stardom through songwriting, producing, and musicianship. One of a kind in a cookie cutter age.

• Like Like x 2
  9. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Now that's is a beautiful quote.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

One of the greatest concerts I ever attended with my brother at Folsom Field in Boulder,Colorado in 1971. RIP buddy.

11. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

After party details, meso, details? :smokin: