Rivals Suspends Ketchum over Ole Miss Tweet

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by JohnnyBravo, Nov 2, 2014.

1. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

Geoff Ketchum, Owner and Publisher of OrangeBloods on Rivals.com, suspended for offensive tweet about Ole Miss after game
    The Link

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Ketch must have been TWI - tweeting while intoxicated. Nobody sober could think that post would be taken as simple, good-natured humor.

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

So now it's offensive to joke that Mississippi has a bunch of racists in it?

4. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Thought the suspension was a bit much. If you don't want your school's turbulent segregationist history thrown in its face, don't have a turbulent segregationist history.

6. tejas77

tejas77 1,000+ Posts

If you're white, you can't joke about race at all. If you're not white, have at it. It's not fair but that's the way it is.

7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Notice that I said "nobody sober could think that post would be taken as simple good-natured humor". Frankly, I don't find it offensive, and I agree that Geoff's suspension for making a joke out of an historical fact about the school and state is probably borne of hypersensitivity to race related topics.

But somebody like Ketch, who makes his living on and is very aware of typical public reaction to mildly controversial stuff said on the interwebz would have known not to tweet that at all, were he not under the influence at the time.

8. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

He must not have seen "The Blind Side". [​IMG]

Yeah it was the type of tasteless humor one would typically think then their intelligence governor vetoes to say out loud. But on the same note, people need to lighten up in this country. Serve the suspension for being a moron, and move on.

9. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Tweets are for dweebs anyway.

10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

11. jmtamu

jmtamu 250+ Posts

12. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

13. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

i think ketch would have gotten a slap on the wrist...but then the ole miss AD responded to it.

that's when rivals had no choice but to suspend him.

14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

"Have you ever been to Oxford & met our people, looked them in the eye, & understand what we are all about? You have no clue."

I've seen the documentary footage of James Meredith trying to get through the picket lines to go to class. Sure understood what they were about then. Since Ketch said "since," I think it's safe to assume that he meant since the 60s, not last week or something like that.

Instead of faux outrage, just ignore it. It's fuckin' tweets. It's not real.

Heck, even Texas has it's share of R.L. Moore and Painter and whatever. I wouldn't be offended if someone said it was the "worst someone felt since Painter lost the integration case" or whatever. If the rest of the nation identifies you as such, then you have a bigger problem on your hands instead of worrying about one fat dude's tweets over it.

I still feel bad that the Ticket in Dallas had to fire Mike Basick over a stupid tweet... a tweet of a drop that had been played on the air before. People get so damn sensitive over stuff that really just doesn't matter.

15. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Killing in the name of!
    Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses
    Huh!

Killing in the name of!
    Killing in the name of

And now you do what they told ya
    But now you do what they told ya
    Well now you do what they told ya

16. blym

blym 250+ Posts

"Have you ever been to Oxford & met our people, looked them in the eye, & understand what we are all about? You have no clue."

When we played at Ole Miss I had the pleasure of sitting next to a woman that had no problem openly talking about President Obama in ways that would have had her suspended from Rivals...

17. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Trying to control humor will be as successful as prohibition was. PC humor is terrible. Lighten up, there should be no suspension for what he said. People laughed, then people pointed him out like in the movie " The Body Snatchers", then people acted like they were offended when they really weren't and then he was suspended.
    Good grief, leave humor alone.

18. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

IDH, I agree that he only said they were despondent back in 1954 and did not say anybody is racist now, but there was no humor in what he said. It was only going to make a lot of people uncomfortable even if he did not accuse them of anything (and they are not smart enough to understand that he didn't). But there was no humor in it.

I agree that he shouldn't be tied to a pillar and flogged like this, but nobody is lacking a sense of humor. Only sense, and an ability to read an English sentence and understand it properly.

19. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

My last trip to Mississippi was in 2005, and while a great number of the people were generally nice, many were a-holes, the variety of which only the SEC seems to produce. I also heard the n-word a lot.

20. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

I also did not find it funny, just kind of off base trying to be funny. Like the guy that always seems to find me at a party and starts telling a "three" joke.
    If we want to suspend anyone for bad humor, start with anyone that starts a "three" joke.

21. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

the name Old Miss itself is a term used on the plantation anti bellum.

That is what the slaves called the mother or wife, and the daughter was called Miss..

An Old Miss fan told me that during the cotton bowl during the 60'd