Road Trip - Austin to DC

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Stuck_At_Work, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

Austin to DC. Stopping in Dallas for a night to visit friends. Stopping in Nashville for a night because it is half-way beteween Dallas and DC. Any sight-seeing recommendations along the way? I imagine I'll stop in Memphis to get some BBQ.

2. baboso

baboso 250+ Posts

Skyline Drive through the Shenandoah National Park.

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Taking the northern route does not thrill me, but once you clear Nashville, I recommend the following:

1) Chattanooga - Look Out Mtn, the Ralph Lauren, Cole Haan, et al outlets in downtown. Best Polo outlet in the country.

2) KnoxVegas - Stop and walk in Neyland Stadium, remembering that General Neyland was a Texan and played HS football at Greenville. The east side (next to river) gate is usually open. Pretty impressive place.

3) Gatlinburg/Pidgeon Forge - redneck Disney World. If you are a kid that likes go-carts or needs your tinfoil ashtray collection enhanced, great place, There are some hotel bargains to be had if you shop. Beautiful scenery and some fun things.

4) Do not stop in Bleaksburg, The only differences in VT and A&M are the cesspool of the Brazos has two roads in and out, Bleaksburg has only one. Aggies can be tolerable at times. Hokies possess the combined worst traits of all cow colleges.

5) Next, take I-81 north and stop in Lexington, Va to visit W&L. This is truly one of the most beautiful towns in the US. Home of W&L and VMI (the latter looks like a prison), which are separated by a driveway.

6) Charlottesville, Va. - There is not a great hotel or restaurant in town. Do not fall into the tourist trap known as The Boars Head Inn - over priced, overrated, lack of service. I recommend the Courtyard by Marriott. Visit UVA (tours start at The Rotunda) and Montecello.

It is 110 miles (north on 29 to I-66) from C'ville to The Mall in DC.

It is really a beautiful drive. If Mr Burger is still outside Roanoke, it is a greasetrap worth stopping.