Road Trip: NYC to San Diego

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Bernard, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

A guy I know in North Jersey is selling a CLK 55 convertible to someone in San Diego. Looking for a little adventure in the off-season, I offered to deliver the car to San Diego for him. It's not a done deal yet, but there's a high likelyhood I'll be making the drive in a few weeks.

I'm looking for recomendations on things to do and see on my way. My general plan is to go straight west to Chicago, then swing north to the Dakotas, Montana and Idaho before heading south. The rest is wide open.

Bernard

2. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

might be fun to hit some ball games. Wrigley Field, etc. You could almost plan your route to maximize visits to ballparks.

If you're a nascar fan, the all-star weekend in Charlotte would be cool. It's happening about that time.

3. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

4. Austin Orange

Austin Orange 250+ Posts

Dude, put the car on a train. It is soooooo much less expensive than putting the miles, paying for gas, hotel food and your flight back. Seriously. Driving it across country is the dumbest financial move I have heard in a while.

5. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

dumbest financial move maybe. Does everything revolve around the dollar? Sounds like a fun trip to me.

6. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

The Seller has a copius amount of frequent flier miles so my airfare is covered. I assume the the buyer or seller is paying for the gas, but if not I can swing it. The rest of the jack comes out of my pocket, but it's not like there any other adventures I can get into for free.

It's not my car.
    It's not my milage.
    The car has insurance.
    I don't care about all that stuff.
    I'm just getting free use of the car for my road trip.

If you think this trip is financially impractical, I shudder to think what you might say if you looked at my football watching budget.

I'm just trying to figure out if a detour to Mount Rushmore is worth it. Or the big Indian on a Horse thing. Am I better off staying south in Nebraska for stop at the Corn Palace? Is there a unique bar somewhere that I should pay a visit?

I just like a good road trip. I bought my CLK 430 convertible in San Diego and drove it back to Houston. I bought my truck in Pennsylvania and drove it back to Houston. I sold my classic Mustang SVO to a guy in Miami and I drove it to Tampa and flew back. I like to see America through a windshield.

I've never driven north of Ames, Iowa so I'm open to advice. And oh yeah, I'm only legal to drive in 49 states so Colorado is out of the mix.

Bernard

7. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

too much coors one night?

8. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

Something like that.... both times.

Bernard

9. babysdaddy

babysdaddy 100+ Posts

this is sweet, I'm extremely jealous of you. I would def do rushmore and yellowstone. Other than that just to drive through our country would be a blast. I've driven through Oregon and it is beautiful....stop and fly fish in wyoming, maybe play golf at whistling straits in wisco (I think).

Oh yeah, I think a gf would make this trip more enjoyable....if she's cool. RH is good on these kind of trips.

10. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

11. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

Now we're getting somewhere.

Bernard

12. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

13. BigSHELL

BigSHELL 25+ Posts

I second the above poster's comments.

We drove from LA, to Vegas to Beaver Creek after the National Championship... I didn't think Utah was ever going to end.

14. CBDTexas

CBDTexas 100+ Posts

Have you made the trip yet, Bernard? How'd it go?

15. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

16. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

Leaving tomorrow morning. I'll post some pics after I get back on May 22nd.

Bernard

17. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

18. CBDTexas

CBDTexas 100+ Posts

19. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

Better late than never, here are 200 pics from the trip: Flickr Slideshow

Viewing tip: To see the captions, you may have to click the "options" link on the lower right corner of the slideshow.

Trip Description:

I had to be in Vegas for business for a few days so the company bought my plane ticket. The seller of the car paid the gas.

I flew to Newark, drove to Vegas. Did some business. Drove to San Diego. Flew to Houston.

One of my main reasons for going on the trip was to see Montana. Never been there. Always wanted to go. Alas, I never did make it to Montana. I took more time than origianlly planned seeing the sights along the way. The circle had to be cut a bit short to make it to Vegas on schedule.

Friday: Fly to Newark. Dinner in NYC. Party at MOMA.
    Saturday: Dinner in NYC. Then jazz at Smalls
    Sunday: Cruising west on I-80 to Joliet, Illinios.
    Monday: Through Iowa and on to Minnesota.
    Tuesday: Across South Dakota, badlands National Park
    Wednesday: Driving the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore
    Thursday: Crossing Wyoming
    Friday: Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks
    Saturday: Zion and Bryce canyon National Parks
    Sunday: Arrive Las Vegas, 103 degree heat and 65 degree pool
    Monday: Vegas
    Tuesday: Vegas
    Wednesday: Driving to Fallbrook, CA
    Thursday: Fly back to Houston

Distance: 4,227 miles
    Gas cost: $699

The trip was awesome. i'd do it again in a heartbeat. Everywhere I spent a day, i could have spent a month. Working for a living really sucks.

Bernard

20. CBDTexas

CBDTexas 100+ Posts

That was awesome, thanks for sharing!

21. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

wtf were you doing in Fallbrook, the avocado capital of the world?

22. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

What a trip! The pictures were fantastic! What a great opportunity to take advantage of.

23. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

24. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

I used to live right down Misssion Rd. from that office. I know it well.

25. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

I heard Austin is a cool town to check out.