Roatan...Anyone been?

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by EJC+1, Dec 17, 2010.

1. EJC+1

EJC+1 250+ Posts

Looking for something different and away from the typical Caribbean vacation. Roatan is a strong option right now. Anyone been? Other than the sand flies, what are people's thoughts & opinions?

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It's been a dozen years and new resorts have been built. Two biggest draws are diving with the dolphins and diving with whale sharks. The latter is for advanced divers only and is really scary when you see the size of those things,

Other than that, great beaches, great water, rest and relax.

If these don't appeal to you, try Bonaire

3. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

Been a few years so I can't really recommend any particular hotels but anything on the West End is your best bet. Oh, and 100$ DEET is a must.

4. snow leopard27

snow leopard27 250+ Posts

Went for the honeymoon about 10 years ago; stayed at Anthonys Key. You didn't mention if you are diver or not, but most of the places seemed to cater mostly to SCUBA. If you don't dive, you might get a little bored. The whole place is very laid back and relaxed, atleast then.

5. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

i was there a couple years ago and they were in the peocess of building many newresorts. it is somewhat of a dive community. i like it very much. do stay on the west end. that is where most of the nice places are any way.