Robert Strait....what happened?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by huisache, May 11, 2014.

1. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

This guy was all world in high school, went to Baylor and fizzled and got kicked off the team at the end. I know he went to prison at least once.

Anybody know where he is now?

I was in his hometown a week ago and asked some people and the younger ones had no idea who he was. Older ones were more, "yeah, what did happen to him?"

Ironically, Trooper Taylor, whom Teaff signed the year before Strait graduated from Cuero high in order to entice Strait, ended up having a nice career and has done some good work as a coach at the collegiate level.

We thought we would get him; he was as big as that Louisiana qb we missed out on, Perriloux.

2. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

There is a Robert Strait listed as living in Cuero and being 44 years old, which would be the correct age. My guess is he went home and faded into obscurity.

3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Obscurity is OK. It is the dreaded "fade into Bolivian" that you really need to worry about.

4. Harri McDog Horn

Harri McDog Horn 25+ Posts

Robert Strait's football career ended by getting into serious trouble with the law in Waco. I know there was a conviction and a sentence which may have involved "hard time". I agree that the age listed sounds right. He is probably glad to be back in his home town, obscure or not.

5. Stove Top

Stove Top 25+ Posts

Did he ever consider Texas? I seem to remember a story / myth about him only coming to Texas if he could wear no. 20. Was that true?

6. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

I have no idea about his legal troubles, but I do know he became a fat f**k and lost several steps.

7. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

He got injured and fat, and they had another tailback at the same time that was pretty solid, and as I recall, he ended up spending a lot of time at fullback as a result.

I forget the other back's name, but he was good. Think his last name was Henry?

8. beaVo

beaVo 500+ Posts

was it John Henry? I could be way wrong but that seems right.

9. hornFANtastic

hornFANtastic 100+ Posts

He has been to the pen for dealing drugs at least twice in Cuero.