Robinson, Tomey and NOS

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Hooky Hornstein, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein 100+ Posts

IIRC, Greg Robinson and Dick Tomey came in in 2004 and Mack let them implement a lot of changes - open positions, full contact in practices, 1s versus 1s and punishing the entire defense for NOSes (Not Our Standard plays).

The results were remarkable and seemed to have a big influence on the 2005 MNC run even after each of those guys had moved on.

Then if IIRC the media made a big to-do right before the 2007 Holiday Bowl against Arizona State about Texas was trying to get back to all of those toughness and accountability measures Tomey and Robinson had once implemented.

Do any of you remember that? Am I remembering it correctly?

What I wonder is how Texas could've gotten away from it between 2005 and 2007 in the first place?

And it seems pretty clear to me that in recent Texas gotten pretty far away from those things again.

Could any of you insiders or close observers tell me exactly when we got away from those things?

And why?

Just seems crazy to me that Texas could have such success with those tactics and then get so far away from them - not once but at least twice.

2. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts

I remember Texas having tackling problems and Robinson put on a clinic and solved the problem in one week. There was none of this tackle like an alligator BS.

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Greg Robinson was the best defensive coordinator we had. Too bad he only stayed a year.

4. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Tomey was here as a consultant twice and if memory serves we made improvement both times. You start looking back at this stuff and you see that then as now Mack really is just throwing darts at a board.

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have said for a couple of years and every game this year, as well as posting on this board: $1 million plus to Dick Tomey for one year. and a lot of these problems are solved.

If you attended any game on 2004, you saw Tomey roaming the sideline with one are across his chest, fist supporting the other elbow with that hand near his mouth. Frequently, he would stop when walking in front of Mack, say something and keep walking. He is a football coach and knows what he is doing. He had more to do with that 2005 Championship than a lot of people who got rings.

Other than buying Nick Saban, spending the money to make Tomey a consultant is the best investment Deloss could make right now.

6. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I would LOVE to see Tomey come back and yes OP your memory is correct and so are the other posters. MB (or Dodds) will not bring Tomey back now as it would not look good on Mack, the changes made to fix the things previously and the current coaching staff.

7. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

So could we hire Tomey as a "consultant in waiting" and let him do the job and then let him go?

8. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

We ought to hire the old bastard as HC. He is one tough SOB.

9. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

We ought to hire the old bastard as HC. He is one tough SOB.

THIS

10. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Tomey would stop the milk and cookie breaks.