Roe is dead

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by NJlonghorn, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's an example of overtly partisan issue-framing, so any factor that weighs against Republicans is amplified, and any factor that weighs against Democrats is ignored. Having said that, I do think this is stupid politics and bad policy. It hurts our credibility when we claim to care about states rights, and because the country is so divided on the issue, we're going to get wild flips in abortion laws based on who's in power. There won't be a lot of stability. There's a reason why the founders left stuff like this to the states.

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Why would anyone from OK, TX, etc vote for it since it would actually loosen the abortion restrictions in their states?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I'm still undecided if this was the right time to make this move but ultimately i think it is the right political position, but conducted from a state level. Every GOP rep should say "i support a ban at 15 weeks as a compromise position AT THE STATE LEVEL".

We have had 2 generations of people grow up being told that abortion was a right. You are not going to turn that ship around in 3 months. Even if your desire is to see no abortions, you are going to have to accept that 60+% of the country is adamantly opposed to that position right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. guy4321

guy4321 500+ Posts

I imagine the proposed federal law says states may restrict further.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I don’t think so. I think it is consistent across states to get support from folks who want to increase the number of weeks in places like Texas as a compromise for losing weeks elsewhere.

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Two reasons. First, it's a federal ban, so they get to screw with blue states. Second, I'm pretty sure it permits states to have stronger restrictions.

7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If this is the bill, it does. It contains a provision that says, "Nothing in this section may be construed to preempt or limit any Federal, State, or local law that provides greater protections for an unborn child than those provided in this section."

• Like Like x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If that is the case, then letting the states decide it is the better approach, or increase it to 22 weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 250+ Posts

I thought this headline was parody but somehow it isn't | Not the Bee

Guy goes to his neighbor's house and says "hey Bob, my lawnmower just died, can I borrow yours so I can finish mowing my lawn?" Bob says, "sorry I can't, my wife is cooking brownies." "What does that have to do with borrowing your lawnmower?" "Nothing, but if I don't want you to borrow my lawnmower, one excuse is as good as another."

• WTF? WTF? x 1