Roman Holiday

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by CleverNickname, Jan 2, 2008.

1. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

I need examples for a 8 or 9 day itinerary for Italy for November. I was hoping to hit Rome for a few days (3-4?) plus a couple of other cities. Any advice? How long to spend in Rome? Where else? Milan, Naples, Venice?

2. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Rent the movie before going, then rent a Vespa while there.

[​IMG]

3. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Well, November can get awfully nasty in northern Italy. However, it's not that bad. For my money, I would do the following...

Rome --> Florence --> Bologna --> Venice

All four cities are served by the same train so it's a real easy itinerary. Bologna has the best food in Italy, is a great city and a college town and Venice is much calmer in November. We went during Thanksgiving of 2005 and it was really nice. Stay in the Dorsoduro district - much much much better than San Marco (heed this advice!)

4. tmiller3

tmiller3 25+ Posts

Agree strongly on the comment about Venice. Stay in the Dorsoduro area, it is so much calmer than San Marco and easy to get around. Youl can take the vaparetto to San Marco, or just go across the bridge.

Last time there, we stayed at the Hotel American-Dinesen. Really enjoyed it. Couple of nice restuarants near by. Nice little cafe near by for coffee in AM and wine/beer in afternoon. Although Venice is not best food in Italy.

Also agree with the suggested iternary. Easy to do via train and all good places to visit, especially if first time- you get the big stops out of the way.