Rome

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by someone, Nov 4, 2010.

1. someone

someone 250+ Posts

Planning a trip with the wife for March to go to Rome. We'll be there for about 5 days so looking for some hotel suggestions. We plan on spending most of our time out of the hotel but would prefer something somewhat nice. Any suggestions?

Also would like to hit Venice for maybe a day. Suggestions on best way to get there?

2. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

Stayed here on my honeymoon and loved it. Kinda spendy but a superior boutique hotel and nice location.

I loved Rome and we didnt spend nearly enough time there.

Regina Baglioni Hotel Rome

3. snow leopard27

snow leopard27 250+ Posts

For just a day, I might suggst something a bit closer than venice.
    We stayed a couple of nights and Sienna and really thought it was great; would give you a nice contrast between Rome (big city) and a smaller Tuscan town.

The place we stayed was a B&B that was owned by a professional accordian player

4. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

We stayed here in November 07 for 4-5 nights in Rome. It's not a fancy place, but it also won't break the bank. It's a great location for getting on the trains and/or metro system.
    The Link

5. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

when you are there, I recommend doing as the Romans do.

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

7. E Man

E Man 100+ Posts

Venice is quite a distance from Rome. You'll want to take a train, and if you want to do it in a day, it will be a long day trip.

If you have a chance to spend a night or two further north, you might want to check out Florence. The Tuscany region is beautiful, and from there, you can make easy day trips to both Venice and Pisa. I have a nice hotel suggestion for Florence in case you are interested.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

l00p, you da man!

9. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

When in Rome, go to Campo de Fiori, have suppli and porchetta, wash down with a beer. Repeat.

10. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

The sistine chapel closes early! I got there at 2:30 and it was closed. [​IMG] still the vatican was cool.

Lots of architecture to see. too much to list.

11. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

12. Mobyhorn

Mobyhorn 250+ Posts

Definitely the train to Venice. Look at updated Michelin guide for hotels.

13. Lake_Travis_Horn

Lake_Travis_Horn 500+ Posts

I stayed at La Carriage hotel several years ago. It's not posh, but is in a great location - near the Spanish Steps, within walking distance of Trevi Fountain, the Forum, and the Colliseum.

Some recommendations:

1. Research ahead of time. An excellent guide is Rick Steve's guide. He has a number of audio guides that you can download from his website (whether you buy his guide or not) to the Forum and ruins, Sistine Chapel, and other attractions. Put them on your iPod and it's like having a tour guide with you.

2. Eat at the sidewalk cafes, but also buy from the little shops. Some of our best meals were from those guys, not the fancy and expensive restaurants.

3. Venice will be about an 8 hour train ride. If you're crimped for time, see if you can get an overnight train. That will save you a couple of nights hotel rooms (presuming you do that both ways) and not consume a day of your vacation. The downside is that you won't see the countryside. Rick Steve has audio guides for Venice as well.

4. Study and research, but when you get there, play it by ear. Be flexible and go where you feel like going each day. It will be a great adventure as long as you look at it as that every day you're there.