Romney meets with Rev Billy Graham

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Hookem123, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts

As any worth his salt President would do.

The Link

2. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

credit to Romney - he will do anything to secure the evangelical christian vote.. even meet with the man who believes his religion to be a cult:

As of June 5, 2010, if not much earlier, Billy Graham’s website stated:

A cult is any group which teaches doctrines or beliefs that deviate from the biblical message of the Christian faith. It is very important that we recognize cults and avoid any involvement with them. Cults often teach some Christian truth mixed with error, which may be difficult to detect.

There are some features common to most cults:

• They do not adhere solely to the sixty-six books of the Bible as the inspired Word of God. They add their “special revelations” to the Bible and view them as equally authoritative.

• They do not accept that our relationship to Jesus Christ is a reality “by grace through faith” alone, but promote instead a salvation by works.

• They do not give Jesus Christ, the divine Son of God, full recognition as the second Person of the Trinity, composed of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

Some of these groups are Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, the Unification Church, Unitarians, Spiritists, Scientologists, and others.

3. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

Mormonism is a cult, but that doesn't mean that Graham and Romney don't share a similar vision politically. No problem there as far as I can tell.

4. MojoMan

MojoMan 1,000+ Posts

Reverend Graham is getting to be quite old. Mitt Romney may well be the last President who meets with Graham, who has met every President since World War II.

5. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

When Graham met with Nixon, they discussed the nefarious influences of the Jews. I guess that isn't on the agenda anymore, what with all the fundamentalist whackos (aka the base) all fired up for the endtimes and the conversion of the aforesaid miscreants.

6. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Mormonism may be a cult, mop, but so is Christianity.

cult
    [kuhlt] Show IPA

noun

a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

3. the object of such devotion.

4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
    5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

I will grant you, though, that the mythology of Mormonism seems even wilder than that of Christianity.

7. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

8. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

Bevo, Mormonism is not considered part of historic orthodox Christianity. Is that something you can accept more readily?

9. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Mark 8: 23-4

10. 314

314 250+ Posts

noun

a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

3. the object of such devotion.

4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
    5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

Cult?

11. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Apparently the cult reference to the LDS Church has been removed from Rev. Graham's website. Imagine that.

Link

12. snow leopard27

snow leopard27 250+ Posts

SInce Hinduism, Budhism, & Islam also teach "doctrines or beliefs that deviate from the biblical message of the Christian faith", are they also considered cults, or they just different religions?
    All my years of going to Sunday School and this has never been clear to me.

13. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

What a load of garbage. Billy Graham, the once (and still?) anti-semite and his even worse son.

They jumped the religious shark a long time ago. Not surprising that the GOP is still working the religious angle.

14. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Meanwhile, at the humongous 2nd Baptist Church in Houston:

15. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

Mormonism is very much a cult and you won't find me trying to reconcile it with historic orthodox Christianity. I will also happily vote for someone whose views more closely line up with mine regardless of their religious persuasion.

As for Hinduism and Islam. Those are religions. I think the primary distinction is that they had entirely unique "births." Most cults are parasitic on another religion. They also tend to claim to be the "true" expression of that religion. I have never known if you can call spin off religions from the world's primary religions "cults" or if it is primarily a term used for spinoffs of Christianity. For instance, Buddhism is really more or less a spinoff from Hinduism yet is obviously so well established as to not at all be considered one with Hinduism.