Rose Bowl, USC v PSU

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by blonthang, Jan 2, 2017.

1. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

There, but for the grace of God go we.

Before the OJ thing (I know, not SC's doing), the Reggie Bush having his Heisman recalled, PSU with its Sandusky disgrace, I might have been more excited about this game, even though not a playoff game.

Large institutions like major college athletics, dealing with kids on one end, fat cat alums on the other, vendor/advertisers on another angle, agents, money, drugs, sex --- it's surprising to me sometimes how lucky, and I hope lucky because of mostly doing the right things, UT has been in comparison to some really horrible things done by others.

I know these SC and PSU kids had nothing to do with any prior acts; just seems a bit of luster lost right now.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

BT,

As far as State Penn is concerned, there was never any "luster" for me, but

1) Paterno's sickingly weak schedule that would make Art Briles, Frank Beamer, & Tom Osborne blush, then claiming the alltime most wins, although 90%+ of those were against noname teams with losing records

2) Paterno's refusal to come play for a national championship, and then whining about it for 40 years

3) A trip to the Meadowlands to beat them badly and listen to their whining including one saying, "Well you guys killed Kennedy" at a game where we had more fans than State Penn.

4) Trip to Happy Valley and being outnumbered by fans that are more clueless about football than the 7 year old girls in my grandson's third grade class. That lack of knowledge certainly didn't keep them from running their mouths.

All of these and more kept there from ever being any luster where State Penn is concerned.

I just regret that State Penn plays Ohio State and Michigan because I can't stand any of them.

3. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

All that baggage aside, looks like we should have hired Franklin instead of Strong. He's brought Penn St all the way back from the Paterno sex scandal and we're still stuck in the doldrums.

Good game 28-27 PSU at the moment. Saquon Barkely is amazing.

4. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, agreed, never a JoPa or PSU fan, but grudgingly recognized they had a good run with some good athletes.

For me kind of like NU, I never bought into their self admiration of being great fans --- that is until the first Big 12 title game, and the Rickey game in Lincoln (yeah they gave him a standing ovulation), but they seemed to get real nasty to UT after that
    Losing, I guess

Also, their stadium banner of academic all-americans. At UNL-Lincoln, in what degree plans?

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Clean,

Sorry, but the multiple rape convictions at Vanderbilt is too similar to Baylor for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I don't know anything about the Franklin sex scandal. Can't believe PSU would hire any body who wasn't squeaky clean.

Now 42-27 PSU. One of the more amazing turn arounds I've seen in a while.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

BT,

Nebraska had one of the few Industrial Arts programs with a specialization in pumping gas, convenience store cash register operation, and customer service speaking, as in "would you like fries with that". Such is the legacy of 'Dr" Tom Osborne - give them a worthless degree and wreck their body with steroids.

8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Thank you, that was great.

9. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

I can not remember ever seeing four touchdowns on four consecutive plays.

10. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

This is the first exciting bowl game that I've seen this season. PSU 42-35. PSU has scored on six consecutive drives.

11. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

That Sam Darnold is pretty good. There might be a Heisman Or two in his future!

49-49 with 27 secs to go. PSU just turned it over

12. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

USC wins the best Rose Bowl game since Jan. 2006

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Which they didn't win.

• Like Like x 2
  14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

WHAT...A...FINISH!!!

15. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

PSU would have been a better opponent for Clemson than OSU was.

16. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

No they wouldn't, tOSU only had one loss and we all know that if you have one loss that you are a better team even though you lost head to head to the team that didn't make it.

17. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Don't forget the murderer's that Dr.Tom was winning Natty's with at Lincoln. Or Meyer at UF.

18. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Don't know about you guys but I am NOT looking forward to facing USC and Darnold in game #3 next year. I have great faith in our new staff but that is going to be a big mountain early on in the season. Darnold looked pretty awesome for a fish, scary to think what he will do in the next couple of years.

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I would be really worried if Texas was putting up the Strong/Bedford defense. It will be a good yardstick for Herman's team. State Penn had the right plan; to bad they could not hold onto the ball in the first half.

20. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

How about that great defensive effort by both teams? You know what the narrative would be if a Big12 team gave up 49/52 points.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  21. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

Oh, you are right. I can hear em now. "52-49... neither defense is SEC worthy."