Rudy's is Coming to Houston

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by DrPepperHorn, Apr 17, 2007.

1. DrPepperHorn

DrPepperHorn 100+ Posts

OK, maybe not Houston, but Spring is close enough for me!!!!!

It will open this summer just off of 45 at Louetta.

2. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

you can have it ... fast food bbq ... no thanks. real bbq isn't franchised

3. Aquaman

Aquaman 100+ Posts

My family is excited as Rudys will be opening up two locations in El Paso this summer

4. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

I don't understand why so many people get ultra excited about Rudy's. Maybe they've never been to a real BBQ joint. I'll admit Rudy's has consistently tender brisket (But what halfway successful BBQ joint doesn't?) and we use their overpriced "sause" and rub at the house occasionally. But, when it comes to getting the best BBQ it's not where I go. Also, I confess it's convenient to take yankees there rather than driving to the Salt Lick, Lockhart, Lampasas, etc, because they think they're getting the real deal when it's really just franchised country schtick on par with Cracker Barrel and you get to save gas thereby being a positive impact on global warming.

On a real downer and another example of Austin losing it's character, Pok-e-Jo's on W 5th shut down to make way for some big development project. Ate a lot of BBQ at that spot. Well, I guess I could say that about a lot of BBQ joints in Central Texas.

5. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Salt Lick [​IMG]

6. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

7. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

We here in Houston get excited about Rudy's because Houston bbq SUCKS.

8. biggie

biggie 25+ Posts

Houston BBQ does suck and I'm very excited about this. Some of us aren't fortunate enough to live in central Texas and within reasonable driving distance to some good local joints.

But as in typical Hornfans fashion, "XXX sucks! I can't believe you think XXX is good! You have no taste!" All your credibility went out the window when you ripped on Rudy's but then out the other side of your mouth praised Pok-E-Joe's. That place is terrible.

9. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

I just don't get the bashing of Rudy's. The original Rudy's is as good as any. I've only had the franchised Rudy's in New Braunfels after tubing all day and it tasted damn fine to me. How exactly does franchising affect the food? If you have the same rubs, the same cooking time and temp, the same wood that they do at the original how can it be any different unless you are cooking in Denver?

10. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

When I was in high school, they briefly had a store in Lewisville. It sucked from what I remember. Not sure if that is indicative of the chain or not, but that location didn't last long.

Of course, living in NYC, I'd probably give my right nut for some Rudy's about now!

11. threesheets

threesheets 250+ Posts

12. hornimal

hornimal 500+ Posts

sucks it is going up in spring. might still make the drive to load up on turkey breast and cream corn.

13. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

14. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

The same people that bash Rudy's and Salt Lick probably go to PF Chang's and Morton's.

15. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

I wonder why they are putting it in Spring? I guess they figure they will pull people from Houston and The Woodlands with that location.

I can't wait until it opens. I tried to check it out on their website but it appears to be down at the moment.

16. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

17. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

I suppose if I lived in New York I might get excited about a Rudy's coming to town. In Austin though, there are just so many superior places to get barbecue - I'm talking WORLD CLASS barbecue. It would be like living in Maine and having your favorite restaurant be Red Lobster.

Just from my house in Round Rock, I can get to any of the following within an hour:
    - Louis Meuller's - Taylor
    - Kreutz's - Lockhart
    - Black's - Lockhart
    - Cooper's - Llano
    - Smitty's - Lockhart
    - John Meuller's - Austin
    - Ruby's - Austin (chopped beed)
    - Iron Works - Austin
    - Burnet County Bar-B-Q - Burnet
    - Southside Market - Elgin

That's 10 places with an hour drive that BLOW AWAY Ruby's. That's not to even mention the 10-15 additional LOCAL restaurants that are just as good.

Of course when you are an a Longhorn board you are going to get people that are less than impressed with Rudy's barbecue. For most of us, there are simply much better alternatives. Heck, if necessary I can cook my own brisket that will be 10x better than anything you will find at Rudy's.

18. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

19. hornimal

hornimal 500+ Posts

20. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

21. biggie

biggie 25+ Posts

Lazyengineer...you are just too cool for me. Heck for this thread so why even make that post?

I suppose....WORLD CLASS....BLOW AWAY....get over yourself.

22. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

Lazy, I glad you went a houston bbq thread to tell us how good the Austin bbq is. I would love to have better options for bbq but Rudy's is a great start for Houston.

23. dahorns

dahorns 250+ Posts

I wish I had the time to take a two round trip plus time to eat everytime my family wants to eat bar-b-que,
    until then I'll take poke joes, rudy's , et al

24. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

25. Texclerk

Texclerk 100+ Posts

Rudy's is fine. Good bbq and a place I like to go with friends going to and from UT games (Round Rock) or here int own (Waco). I certainly stop at Cooper's or the others when in places like Llano, Taylor, etc., but that does not happen too often. Moreover, at 11:45 on Tuesday when I am thinking of some place for lunch, a drive to the Hill Country sounds nice but is not practical. Same can be said when walking through Home Depot with the kids on a Saturday. Taylor is 1.25 hours away, but damned if I will drive it to sit and eat for 45 minutes.

26. CBT

CBT 100+ Posts

Haters. Rudy's is the nuts.

27. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

I hope DrPepperHorn realizes I will hunt him down and hurt him if this isn't true. I finally got around to looking at Rudy's website and they don't list a Houston location. I don't get how they can have two in El Paso but only one in Houston.

Rudy's Locations

28. DrPepperHorn

DrPepperHorn 100+ Posts

Tyler: A sign is up on 45 near Splash Town. It has been confirmed.

Extra moist brisket is the best! You Rudy's haters don't know how bad the BBQ in Houston is right now. This is a huge upgrade!

29. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

Is this thing open yet? Seems like I remember someone saying it would be open this summer. Website doesn't mention it being open.

30. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts