Running Shoes and Sports Orthotics

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Stuck_At_Work, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

So... I have pretty bad ankles and knees. My doc claims I have the arthritis of a 60 year old (I'm 28 now) do to joint 'trauma' from playing sports my whole life. Anywho... I got fitted for some high end sports orthotics. They are soft and look just like a normal shoe insert. I also got fitted for some good running shoes.

My question is this: what % of the cushioning is typically provided from the insole versus the actual shoe. The orthotics are starting to get pretty thin in places (and they aren't cheap)... so I'm wondering if I can keep using them as long as I replace my running shoes regularly.

2. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

What in hell are you doing running? You only have so many impacts left, and you are overdrawn as it is. Just my unwanted hectoring, sorry.

My experience is that I absolutely must have the orthotics in for running, and this degrades the comfort of any shoe, pretty much negates whatever insole technology is going on.

Part of life's bad news.

3. Brak

Brak 500+ Posts

Are you referring to your orthotic as the insole? I have custom hard orthotics that have no cushion so I use an an addtional insole for cushioning.

My podiatrists recommended wearing the insole on top of the orthotic but I've always worn them underneath. the insole will give you cushion under your heal and the front of your foot if you do this.

I've always used Spenco. I get the flat ones and they last a long time as the cushion takes a long time to break down. There are more expensive ones but they are heavier and my shoes are already heavy enough (from the denser foam for support).

The primary cushioning will come from the midsole. Make sure you change your shoes regularly as the midsole usually wears out faster than the outer sole.

4. Stuck_At_Work

Yeah... the doctor told me to give up running. She said I was due for an ankle replacement soon if I continued running... I just have one last triathlon to train for, and then I'm hanging up the shoes and concentrating on cycling.

I had the 'hard' type of orthotic made years ago and I hated them. I tried them above and below the insole, but couldn't handle it. I then got a pair of soft orthotics made to replace the factory insole in my running shoes. They work WAY better than the hard ones. In fact, I threw away the hard ones and they weren't cheap. I hated those things with a passion.

5. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Never heard of the soft orthotics. I think I'll give them a try. I wear the hard ones on top of the insole, and they get uncomfortable in longish runs. So I don't do longish runs. [​IMG]

6. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

I used to use the hard plastic kind and have found that in my case if I just use an off the shelf sports orthotic slipped in on top of the regular inner liner it works fine for me. The additional lift seemed to be the big thing for me and my foot pain.

7. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

my wife just found a couple weeks ago:
    'Sofsole Adapt ' Heat Moldable orthotics with her new balance shoes.

She likes them although they are still relatively new.

8. Stuck_At_Work

I visited a pedorthist who specializes in runners. He had me wear an electronic insole that recorded the pressure I was placing on my feet. He then connected the insole to a computer and it showed a heat diagram of my feet. It was pretty interesting. He sent that information plus other measurements to a company who sent back a soft custom orthotic. I can't even begin to explain how amazing it has been. This pedorthist apparently consults with each UT athlete when they enter their freshman year (I learned this after I visited with him).

9. fluff

fluff 25+ Posts

10. Stuck_At_Work

Not sure I would call him a doctor, but he seems to be excellent at what he does. He works out of the main RunTex in downtown Austin. His office is upstairs.